The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

I hate my custom exhaust.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gee-Es-Tee

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 19, 2004
Atlanta, Georgia
I fabbed up a 3" straight through, no resonator, and a magnaflow muffler exhaust.

I HATE how it sounds. I figured since it was straight through it would have a decent note, but the magnaflow sounds a bit ricer-ish. I don't know, it's just not the sound I enjoy.

I don't know what else to do except take it to an exhaust shop tomorrow and weld in a resonator to hopefully drown out the sound completely...

...anyone else have a shitty sounding exhaust?

Does magnaflow suck???

What the hell... I should video it....

Sure there isn't an exhaust leak somewhere? Alot of dsms ive heard all sound similar, just a little bit different sounding but nothing really "ricey" as you state. Just a thought.....

3" from where the turbo? I have a full 3" exhaust with a thermal R&D and I love the way it sounds, has a nice rumble to it. The bigger the muffler the deeper the sound note.

I've got a 3'' thermal R&D and i hate the sound of it even (without a cat anyway) what i plan on doing is placing a 4'' in/out flowmaster where teh cat should be, to quiet it down a bit and make it at least Look like it has a cat LOL. Either that or throw a resinator in line some where.

What Magnaflow muffler are you running? I had a 3" in/dual 2.5" out magnaflow with no resonators on my old gsx and it was tits! Nice and low with a growl at WOT!

Yeah, thats a good question. 3in from where? I have Apexi catback mated to a custom fabbed 3 in dp with custom 3in flex section. A buddy of mine just got all ebay stuff, basically 3 in catback with a dp (2.5 before the flex, 3 in after) and his actually sounds deeper than mine down low, no idea why, we both have the N1 muffler, but up top mine sounds, for lack of better terms "tighter."

Both of our cars sounds good though, I dont understand how your car can sound ricey, since that ricey sound (to me) comes from hondas that have a straight through design mated to their headers...downpipe to exhaust shouldnt sound ricey at all...try and post a vid or sound clip if you can...

What model muffler was it? I've run a couple different exhaust setups.

Actually, the whole exhaust system isn't a TRUE 3". I'm running the Mach-V downpipe (which is a 2.5" before the flex section and 3" after). After the downpipe, I fabbed up a 3" catless/resonatorless exhaust all the way back with the magnaflow muffler to top it all off.

As for the muffler, click this link: http://www.jeff-ex.com/Exhaust/Magnaflow-Muffler1.jpg

One you access that link, look at model #14828-- that's mine.

I did some research and found some vids online of guys with a full exhaust and magnaflow with sweet sound. I especially wanted the "rough truck-like sound with a turbo whistle" but didn't get that result. I know it's all about performance to an extent, but I want to be able to enjoy the car and not feel too ricey in it.

I may take my car to an exahust shop tomorrow to fix some brackets and maybe weld in a resonator so I don't hear it at all... kind-of upsetting to me. :[

Any advice?

If you want the whine of a Truck turbo then buy a truck. The difference is displacement and turbo size we have 2.0L they have 6.0L and a huge turbo.

My advice to you is to find a larger muffler that can soak up some of the noise. But good luck though, I hope you find the sound your looking for.

^^^ I hate trucks, so your answer isn't good enough. :cool: Haha.

Also, my car has the 14b swap. This may interfere the sound, maybe.

Muffler suggestions!

I fabbed up a 3" straight through, no resonator, and a magnaflow muffler exhaust.

I HATE how it sounds. I figured since it was straight through it would have a decent note, but the magnaflow sounds a bit ricer-ish. I don't know, it's just not the sound I enjoy.

I don't know what else to do except take it to an exhaust shop tomorrow and weld in a resonator to hopefully drown out the sound completely...

...anyone else have a shitty sounding exhaust?

Does magnaflow suck???

What the hell... I should video it....

Here's a link showing what I did to reduce noise levels on my Thermal exhaust:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...164893-thermal-r-d-exhaust-review-2g-awd.html

Instead of a resonator I'd suggest something like a 5" diameter muffler right behind the cat. It would act as a resonator and add more muffler volume to your exhaust system. This also allows you to swap in a high flow cat which would cut down noise levels even further. This setup really civilizes a 3" exhaust system. It is possible to get a liveable 3" exhaust system, but you have to design it as a "system".

My straight through 3" was extremely loud after cams, the cops didn't care for it much. I added a 24" magnaflow resonator @ 7" diameter and it very much tamed the exhaust. I had to do the same thing on my Ford Focus, same results.

c4

I have a 2.5" downpipe, 3" cat, and 3" cat back with some Bosal muffler. I don't think it's very loud at all, but I was recently pulled over and ticketed with 'vehicle nuisance.' Now I have to go to court and all that jazz, and I guess all I can do is add a resonator.

Gee-Es-Tee, can you post a video? Something fishy must be going on. You can try (if you have the time/money) adding a resonator upstream and completely take the muffler off.

I also have that muffler, its pretty much 3" straight through. Sounds real good to me, real deep. WOT sounds amazing. I get compliments from people all the time on the exhaust.

Im running no cat and its a little loud. My mechanic was like why not just through another magnaflow muffler where the cat was and it should quiet it down without losing much performance at all. I may try this and see how it sounds.

I've got a 3'' thermal R&D and i hate the sound of it even (without a cat anyway) what i plan on doing is placing a 4'' in/out flowmaster where teh cat should be, to quiet it down a bit and make it at least Look like it has a cat LOL. Either that or throw a resinator in line some where.

Huh? My thermal sounded great?

DSMs dont have a ricy sound at all

There must be an exhaust leak because DSM sure as hell don't sound like those ricey Honduh. And to mention Magnaflow despite the cheapness, it is one of the best quality and performing mufflers for DSMs. But if you fix the leak and it still sounds ricey you may want to do further upgrades, i.e. turbo. The smaller the turbo is the higher pitch tone the exhaust will have.

Actually, the whole exhaust system isn't a TRUE 3". I'm running the Mach-V downpipe (which is a 2.5" before the flex section and 3" after). After the downpipe, I fabbed up a 3" catless/resonatorless exhaust all the way back with the magnaflow muffler to top it all off.

As for the muffler, click this link: http://www.jeff-ex.com/Exhaust/Magnaflow-Muffler1.jpg

One you access that link, look at model #14828-- that's mine.

I did some research and found some vids online of guys with a full exhaust and magnaflow with sweet sound. I especially wanted the "rough truck-like sound with a turbo whistle" but didn't get that result. I know it's all about performance to an extent, but I want to be able to enjoy the car and not feel too ricey in it.

I may take my car to an exahust shop tomorrow to fix some brackets and maybe weld in a resonator so I don't hear it at all... kind-of upsetting to me. :[

Any advice?

My freinds Apex DUNK exhaust had the tractor sound! I loved that exhaust

^^^ I hate trucks, so your answer isn't good enough. :cool: Haha.

Also, my car has the 14b swap. This may interfere the sound, maybe.

Muffler suggestions!

Well, you must hate 4-cylinders too. Because all free flowing exhaust designed strapped to 4cyulinders havea high pitched raspy growl. The growl is something debatable between opinions. The "riceyist" sound of all (open o2 housing) flows the best. So you have to decide between sounding closer to a euro v6-v8 or a ricy but faster 4 cylinder. . .

My friend's exhaust, 3" without a cat, or muffler sounds like a tractor.. Lol.

Yeah, that o2 dump, although it flows crazy and eliminates boost creep(at least thats what I'm told, I dont run it) its CRAZY loud...im seeing somewhat of a trend on here, and my mechanic who got stopped for exhaust noise did the resonator thing too on a 93 civic hatch...quited that female dog down very well...just try that...I don't think they are too expensive...as for the sound I just don't know how yours can sound that bad if you arent dumping your o2...my cat is(eyes cut left and right) gutted(shhh) and it made the exhaust significantly louder but I get no problems from police and nor is it any louder than many other exhaustupgraded cars on the road...

3"!!! why so big. You probably only needed at 2.5". The huge exhaust is not helping the sound...at all.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back