The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

I don't want a fast car anymore

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I hear you.... that why i'm selling my car, you'll never feel the same way driving it again once you turn it to stock.

My car is pretty much stock. I have a turbo back 3 in exhaust, 14b and a bov with the UICP. And it hauls ass! The other day i came across a new hatchback STI. He started toying with me, In the end he pulled on me in 2nd a little bit and at the top of third i started to pull on him a little bit. Not bad for near stock at 14 psi. Also i have put 15k on my car since march. I have never had any problems with it. I would drive across the county in my car without hesitation. I blew my turbo but that was my bad....LOL
Oh yeah i am pushing 155k too.

I want to be able to drive across the ####ing country and not have to worry.

I want to become wealthy without effort nor delay. Just in case the Want Fairy decides to visit this thread.

I've stayed stock. I don't beat the car. I double-clutch every downshift, and the motor doesn't often see more than 6K RPM. And I've never had a car give me so goddamned much agony, from the transfer case to the AC to the axle carrier.

After 183,000 reliable miles on stock internals I succumbed to the ModMe bug and put the Talon through a stroker upgrade. All mods were selected for low end/mid range torque and the HP goal was only 320 AWHP to keep it reliable.

The requirement for reliability meant extensive mods to keep the design balanced and upscale components to make more power without moving closer to the limits. It was not a cheap project but I have a reliable street car that is still fun to drive. So a Z06 can blow me away, I'm ok with that.

See my profile for the full story.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to have a fast car anymore.

I want to just have a NICE, and semi original 2g. I ran a 12.2 this year, but my car was a mess. It was not reliable, and it just wasn't right.

I need help building the perfect street car and I need EVERYONES input.

I sold a lot of the speed mods off of my car, and I want to completely start over my modding and focus more on QUALITY.

I want to be able to drive across the ####ing country and not have to worry.

I want to be able to sit in traffic for 2 hours and not even think of overheating.

What I want to do is basically return the car to "semi stock" and then add the MOST PERFECT 100% quality street parts.

Has anyone done this before?

I want to have the car at a TURN KEY level.

I have always been told this:

If your car is Fast and cheap, it's not reliable

If your car is cheap and reliable, it's not fast

If you car is fast and reliable, it's not cheap

Well, my car was fast and cheap before, and it was NOT reliable.

So what do you guys think of this plan? Am I crazy? I will be going from having a low 12 second car to a mid 13 car.

I just want to be able to pop the hood, and have a very clean looking setup, with nothing thrown together. I would like to show a pic of a fellow DSMers engine bay, Kmoore on this site. His engine bay pics are AMAZING, everything just fits so well, and nothing is crammed in or anything.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/kjmoore11/New_Engine_Pics_002.jpg

What do you guys think of this? Who has some recommendations for me on some parts I can choose to make my car a little more streetable?

What made it not reliable? You need to provide specifics. I've had completely factory parts fail on me left and right (i.e. shift fork, crank pulley, crank angle sensor, battery, stock head studs, many many blown tires etc.)

If you turned the boost down to factory levels, which aftermarket speed part could possibly cause you reliability issues. If your overheating then I'd recommend wiring in a fan controller or fix the cooling problem you have.

If you wanted dead reliability, you'd almost have to go thru every stock component attached to the motor and either replace it or diagnose it. Given that its a 10 year old car, maybe thats not a bad idea.

This is a strategy I myself "would" do only if I was pulling the motor and rebuilding it or if I was road racing. Then at that point I would go on a preventative maintenance.

Even after all this, I wouldn't be touching my aftermarket parts, it would be the worn out stock parts I'd be replacing.

my car has always been very reliable. its call dumping money into FIXING your problems instead of wasting your money on going fast. its been said thousands of times on this board but it doesnt seem anyone does it. i realize this is very difficult at a young age but it needs to be done to keep your car turn key...

Pull everying out of your engine.
Clean scrub test and replace everything

Put it back in with new everything that moves under the hood.

Make sure you are allways on a conservate tune and not close to overheating etc.

Let her warm up and treat her nice for the first 10 mins of driving.

TT her and let her cool down.

Should be pretty basic.
Treat them right and go easy and everything should be ok.

"To love a DSM means to love working on a DSM."

-Me

My car was unreliable stock. It was all my fault though, i just neglected it and beat on it. So after it sat a whole year i said enough is enough and my dad helped me drag it out.

I since replaced almost all the wear-out parts in the engine bay and i love driving it. The best upgrade I did was replace the stock rubber i/c pipes with a nice quality ETS short route street kit.

I'm very happy at 15 psi. That will change soon though.

maintenance,maintenance,maintenance,maintenance,maintenance... all I can say, if your car has 100k miles on your car and are running on stock cv joints and one breaks.... 2+2=4... what all has gone wrong with your car. we can recommend good parts if we know whats broken on it or whats going out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back