The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

I can't start my 97 eagle talon. Need help!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lerude91

Probationary Member
Oct 16, 2012
Rouyn-Noranda, QC_Canada
I Had put a new transmission in my 97 eagle talon tsi and I can't start it... I Had check again and again all ground, plug, wire, fuse... The starter run but the engine dont make fire. The engine run perfectly before the new transmission... I'm out of idea to fix it.
Help me please:ohdamn:

I did the job myself and I had put in the new just like the old. Everything was at the good place... I think that had begin when I had boost the battery with a other one because I'd burn the 100amp alternator/choke fuse and some other fuse. I'd change my alternator after that because it was broke before the transmission.
I 'd change my ignition coil pack too when I'd see than the engine dont doign fire. My spark plug and my spark plug cable is good.
Can I'd burn the genertor relay or something like that ??

I did the job myself and I had put in the new just like the old. Everything was at the good place... I think that had begin when I had boost the battery with a other one because I'd burn the 100amp alternator/choke fuse and some other fuse. I'd change my alternator after that because it was broke before the transmission.
I 'd change my ignition coil pack too when I'd see than the engine dont doign fire. My spark plug and my spark plug cable is good.
Can I'd burn the genertor relay or something like that ??

over torquing the neutral safety switch is the most common mistake. ( I believe) This happened to a few people after new tranny installed.

Start with the basics, ensure that you have spark and fuel.

Easiest way to test for fuel is to crank it a few times and check your plugs - they should be wet/smell like fuel. Check each plug. Got fuel, good!

Check for spark - remove the fuel injector clips (don't want fuel spraying while you are doing this), rest plug against ground and get helper to crank - make sure you are holding onto the boot.

If you have spark and fuel, it is either compression or timing. Since the car has not been sitting for months, you won't have compression issues, which leaves timing.

There are three things to check for timing, the spark plug wires are going to the correct coil, the fuel injector clips are to the right injectors, and that the cas is funky - not much to do except replace if it comes down to it.

Another possibility is the temperature. A common failure point that doesn't show up until winter is the CTS, coolant temperature sensor, if it fails, you are dumping way too much fuel into the cylinder constantly creating a flooded situation. If you have a way to log the car, you will want to check what the temperature it is reporting, it should be the same as the outside temperature plus or minus a few degrees.

Another remote possibility is you damaged the ECU with whatever happened that burnt out the other links - but if you have fuel and spark, that likely isn't an issue.

If you are not getting any sort of combustion, always start with the basics. Ensure you are getting fuel and spark.

edit: just double check all the connections, you might have left something unplugged when you were taking the tranny in/out. Especially CAS sensor.

Last edited:
I have fuel, a good compression, the good wire was with the good coil, the plug was ok I'd check all of them a lot of time to be sure but no spark... Is'nt the neutral safety switch because the starter turn the engine.
For the ECU I'm not sure because we had tried to check it but the Code Reader Scanner Diagnostic Tool just say "CANT READ THE ECU"...
Do you have any method to check if the crank sensor is good ??

Turn the ignition to the on position. All the dash bulbs will light up. The check engine light should go out after 30 seconds or so. I believe the boost gauge makes a sweep also.

Finaly, my ECU had some connections burnt inside. So thank you everybody for the help.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back