The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

I busted the used TRE stage tranny!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keltalon

Supporting VIP
Jun 29, 2003
Luthersville Ga, Atlanta, Georgia
I have been debating for about two weeks wether to post this or not but since I have since fixed/rebuilt my own tranny I decided to post it. I bought a TRE stage 2 tranny used from a member on the site I gave 1500.00 bucks for it and 3 days in the car and the tranny granaded left me stranded on a country back road right near a house that we all believe to be haunted no lights or anything. I felt straight stupid me a grown man thinking a monster gonna get me LOL. But anyway this was a straight tradgedy. No discredit to the seller by no means. But we found out that someone dropped the tranny and cracked the outer casing. Without my knowledge I put it into the car and when it was introduced to my power levels it gave up quick. I took the tranny apart I must say I was very impressed with the gear detail that TRE put in it.

The transmission shift like butter no matter what rpm I chose to shift at this also impressed me. I contacted Jon at TRE and spoke with him at length about what may have happen. I must say this guy is very nice but can talk the living daylights out of ya nontheless I enjoyed him sharing his thoughts with me:thumb:

I gave him the numbers off the tranny and he immediately recognized who he did the work for and informed me that the tranny had extensive road race use and that he built it 3 or 4 yrs ago. I said oh really. At this point I had to try and look at the positive side of this issue. I was able to save the Quaife LSD as well as most of the gears. I took 3 busted trannies and made one good one setting preload with sauder and all of what it takes to build a tranny and all I can say is if my arm was long enough I would pat myself on the back. The build took me a good 8 hrs most of this time sorting through what was usable and what was not.

The newly rebuilt unit is now back in the car and ready for track/dyno and whatever it need to do:rolleyes: but here are some pics of the carnage and the insides of my rebuilt unit enjoy!

Attachments

• tranny cracked case.jpg
    tranny cracked case.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 608
  • tranny ripped gear.jpg
    tranny ripped gear.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 623
  • tranny Quaife LSD.jpg
    tranny Quaife LSD.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 623
  • tranny all parts installed.jpg
    tranny all parts installed.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 594
I know what you are talking about with Jon being able to talk your ear off but I have been very pleased to deal with him for my last two transmissions over the last five years.

I sold the trans to him, and although i told Jon it was going to be used for more road racing than drag racing it's never even seen an SCCAsolo even due to my injuries and the lack of funds (not to mention to track to road race on)

I wish you would have said something to me about this, I did say the trans was 3 years old or so and it did only have 15k orsomiles on it... AS for the dropping i thought you said that it was the fed-expeople that dropped it, I said iu would have been happy to do the damage claim and get you the money refunded fromfed-ex, but i can assure you i didn't sell you a trans that was broken when it left here, nor did i ever get to road race it.. I"ll be glad to call jon with ya on 3 way calling if you'd like and you can stay silent while i talk to him and judge for yourself but i feel a bit thrown by this post as i do honest business and kept you in the loop through everything right up to being on the phone with you while paying for shipping and setting up what we needded to for the delivery to work out for yourschedule.

I'm posting this here because I know that what i'mtelling you is the truth as far as both the damage and racing/miles are concerned.. And let me know anytime you want to call Jon and see where he got the idea that it had a bunch of road racing miles on it as that has me rather pissed off, Jon doen'st "know me" other than i helped his father find somemotorcycle parts one time and that i bought the trans off him by telling him my "intentions" of use and trusting from the motorcycle parts deal that i would be getting a fair deal and treated right since i had done him a favor that i guess worked out for him in the past (i didn't call to survey himon parts that i helped him locate that other people had/sold to him)

You kept my name out of it and that's fine and honorable but I am stepping up because my word and what people i do business with think of me are things Ihold in high regaurd to myself and I"ll gladly step up, show myself and do whatever's needed to provethat what i said was truth, I held nothing back and never failed to answer or return any of your calls both before or after the sale as I did honest busines and have no reason to hide or be shady about this.. I have always been willing to work with you on the fed-exclaim also and offered to do what was neededto get you somemoney on their account which is why i initially insured it for a few thousand dollars just in case something like this happened, and had it not been for the delivery needs you had that led you to have medrop the decalred value to 500 bucks i would have been glad to get you a full refund on the damage from them droipping it and i talked through all this with you when we spoke the time you called fromthe side ofthe road when you broke itthat night.

Anyway,, I'mfurios with jon for leading you with only what he probably had for notes other than what he could know or not know to be facts (jon has never seen that trans or heard anything about it since the sale except when i called him at 1000miles asking when the shifting at low RPM would improve as itwas notchy when new and i also calledf him about fluids a few times when changing them) He should have also told you then that i bought the trans as "new transmission build" instead of a rebuild because a condition of keeping my job at the time at the US postal service was having a reliable car to transport mail in EVERYDAY and soi spent a couple thousand extra just togetthe trans in a weeks time instead of waiting on a rebuild of my old one)

I'm furious and John will never see another penny from me or anyone who knows me and trusts my word on their purchases until this is cleared up.. and you haven't answered my texts about this, so wether or not you take the time to worry about this or not, there will be updates as i refuse to let some one who makes a statement based on a complete lack of real knowledge ruin my reputation with even one person even though you weren't naming me, ican't sit here and read this post knowing that it's me you're reffering to and thinking that you would believe i screwed you over or whatever..

Well my case is stated, ball's in your court, lets clear this up, no matter how it comes out that you feel you got done, I want Jon to step up and admit he madestatements based on assumptions adn what we talked about when he built the trans and for him to statetht he has no way of knowing if what he said had any merrit to it or not and that he spoke out of bounds , I refuse to accept less and won't drop it until that's the least amount of resolution to come of this

That sucks! But at what point during filling it up with gear oil did you not notice it leaking out of the big ass crack?

That sucks! But at what point during filling it up with gear oil did you not notice it leaking out of the big ass crack?

that's a good point, and although what's done is done, you should have taken me up on filing the claimwith fed-ex after you told me you thought they dropped it. I would have been glad to help you get as much money as we could have gotten you for the trouble of having to tear it back out and swap the parts into a new case set.

But that's agood point that's brought up, should't it have leaked when filled? I have heard of trannies breaking from shear power in the DSM world before and you are making a shit ton of power so don't ya think there's a chance the trans was fine?

I'm at a loss here, I know you were't going to point fingers, but i feel not only betrayed by Jon for just saying what ever he felt like telling you instead of what the facts were, and if i were a crooked person i could probably sit back and feel just fine, but being a person of high moral standing (no matter what others may think) I cannot sit by, although un-named and never blamed and have even but one person think i did them wrong with out settling the matter till a resolution, comp[imise or end is met. sorry to make the long posts but you probably don't understant how upset i really amabout this. My wordis one of the few things i have anymore and i won't have it tarnished by some one who doesn't know me or know the facts for that matter.. This isn't about themoney for me because ifit were i couldjust go on and let this post be and never step up, this is about my word and my honor and i stand by them both

Honestly something doesn't add up (in my perspective). OP if you "thought" the fedex people dropped your transmission that means you would have had to seen damage which led you do believe that right?. Also, wouldn't the tranny fluid be leaking from the start? Why would you take the time to install a tranny if there were visible cracks in it?

Holy batman crack... How could you not notice that in the first place?!

I think what the OP is saying is that there was a smaller crack that "spread" into what's in the pic. I've talked with him enough to know he's intelligent enough to not put in something that looked like what's in the pics above LOL

Although i can make light of this I do hope that kel will work to find out the truth on this matter. HOnestly I think Jon owes me an oppology or the time that he would spend to make a call and tell Kelvin what he really knows to be fact and what he is "assuming" in the statements he made about the trans as mentioned above.

It takes a lot to get me pissed off but this is something that set me off instantly, I knew the trans had broke as kel had called and talked to me the night it happened while he was sitting on the side of the road, and actually said that if i hadn't asnwered and talked with him like idid he would have thought i sent the trans this way.. ANd there were a few days before the break that he told methe trans was great and was doing perfect so i'm starting to think the cases had split from raw power or maybe overtightening of something but i KNOW it didn't leave here with any cracks in it (had money not been tight i honestly wanted to hang onto it as a backup since i'm running an unknown milage AWD trans that makes a good bit of noise and don't have the funds for an AWD build)

Anyway, I am not saying anything bad about kelvin, iam not mad at kelvin (keltalon) and would like to get this straightened out ASAP, I am mad (read majorly pissed off) at Jon from TRE, although probably a simple statement from his end of the spectrum, it was a damaging statement to my character at least from my point of view and kelvins. And like i said, if i had done him wrong i probably wouldn't be taking the time to sit here and defend myself especially when he never pointed fingers at me, it's just that i came to like kelvin as a fellow DSM'er friend, and thought he was a good guy from our conversations and have trouble just accepting and letting some one think i did them wrong when it's not true and is based on statements made by an involved third party that is mis-informed hugely.

Most of the transmissions i've seen grenaded like this were because of the center diff spyder gears cracking ,and running through the trans. sorry to hear about both sides of the story. i hope you guys get it worked out.

EDit i just seen your trans is fwd not awd . scratch the center diff idea.

BTW Glenn anybody that know's you or has dealt with you definetly know your a stand up guy.

Most of the transmissions i've seen grenaded like this were because of the center diff spyder gears cracking ,and running through the trans. sorry to hear about both sides of the story. i hope you guys get it worked out.

EDit i just seen your trans is fwd not awd . scratch the center diff idea.

BTW Glenn anybody that know's you or has dealt with you definetly know your a stand up guy.

Hey I am not blamming jon or glenn. And I am certainly not saying glenn lied about the condition of the tranny. The tranny was thouroughly inspected before going into the car when filled their was no oil leaks and I didn't knotice any crack in the case before hand only after the tranny broke did I start to look for why. I have seen a lot of transmission bust but not like this. I did knotice after the carnage a spot on the tranny that gave some indication of that it was dropped.

I called jon to see if just maybe he could swap everything out of his tranny into one of my old ones he could not help so I did it. Jon could have gotten the impression that the tranny would see road racing based on what glenn told him his intentions were which would be logical for him to conclude when I gave him the numbers off the tranny that it would be used for road racing. He felt my pain considering I paid 1500.00 for it and three days later it was toast I wouldn't blame him for his honest thoughts. And glenn don't worry about. There is no need for you or anybody to defend your reputation my view of you is still the same IMO you are a straight up guy. When we buy used items off the boards we buy them as is and you indicated this in your paypal invoice and I agreed therefore I knew the risk and with anything else used. Like I said there is a happy ending to this whole transaction my car is running.

Just to clear this up, how did you "suspect" the fedex person dropped the transmission if there was no visible damage? Did you just think it was a possibility after the transmission shattered or what.

Anyways glad you got everything worked out and could save some of the valuable parts off of the trans.

Well ,i'm glad you chimed in man, to be honest, like i said you hadn't named me so the only person's thoughts on me i had to worry about were yours, I don't want you to feel like you got screwed or as if i knew anything that i didn't disclose, that's all i'm getting at.. As long as you have no hard feelings or don't think i did something intentionlally that i didn't then i am cool.

Iam pissed about john just assuming that the trans had a ton of road race miles on it. I did give the impression that it would be road raced probably more than drag raced when it cameto the track but i haven't been on any track with the car in at least 5-7 years, When i described the type of use it wasfor the builder to know what i expected the trans to be able to deal with as far as shifting, RPM and loads both accel and decel. I told him my intentions were more focused around road racing because i like to row gears through corners and accelerate on the straights and launching was never a big thing to me as far as excitement, and that i really only went to the 1/4 mile to baseline the car because honestly drag racing is a little boring to me (just seems like pure abuse more than enjoying the vehicle).. But anyway like i said, if you and I are all good then i'm Ok with it but will still have a talk with Jon, and if there's anything i could do at anytime you should have known i would have been down to help as much as i could from our talks.

I'm still waiting to hear some results from the track too by the way :D And really, all that was bothering me was wanting to know what you honestly thought as far as if i was trying to get over on you, because that's definitely not the type ofperson i am, and wouldn't have outed myself in this thread had i any reason to think i may get proven to be or made to look like "the bad guy" selling junk parts, but as stated, if you're cool, then i'm cool, it was just eating me up a little not knowing if you honestly thought i'd intentionally setout to sell you bad parts or lied about anything in the transaction..I don't mind at all that you posted it, and although i apreciate you not naming names, when i sell a part or do work for some one i fully accept thje fact that my name and the details of the transaction may end up on the internet and that what's said could have an impact on my business dealings both local and internet based and based on that and my own sense of moral stance, I just am not the type of person to do those type of things -

ON the same set of principals/morals...... You should have seen the 4 days (over a 8 day period)that was a festival of shouting which ended in the firing of a gas station manager who accused me of stealing a candy bar by putting it in my ice cream and not paying for it (said i did it every day - which i did but every other employee vouched that i would tell them the candy was in there and pay for it even when they woudlnt' have known any better LOL)

, I just couldn't be considered or called a thief and live with that because i hate thieves and won't be made out to be one in the eyes of anyone because that "anyone" may be my next potential customer, next door neighbor or potential employer. Long story short the guy tried kicking me out of the store, calling the cops and more to which i nicely told him "call the police" many times but told him if he kept saying i was a thief outloud making stranbgers thing wrongly of me then me and him would have a personal and physical problem to sort out anytime he was ready.. But i kept it civil and I took it to the corporate level of the BP franchises that are local ... the owner is actually one of my lodge brothers but i didn't have to go as far as him, I cost this guy his job with 3 phone calls and a good reputation with the other store employees who all vouched that i often had them ring up things that i either had already eaten or mixed with other food when i could have probably gotten away with stealing if i had wanted to

So over accusing me of something he had no basis to back up, and my practices of being an honest and upstanding person in anything i do (to which people took enough notice to know and vouch for me not by name but by what i purchased daily because i was there once a day every day for the same stuff) he lost his entire source of income when he could have listened to me and the other people at the store that i was honest about my purchases and that he was wrong, but no, now he's just jobless LOL and it's not that i cared what HE thought about me, but i did care about what all the people witnessing these "encounters" would think of me if showing up for car work or calling me for home painting and remembering me from those encounters, that was enough that i took the time to prove that i was not a thief as well as keeping access to my favorite and clsoest store :)

Just to clear this up, how did you "suspect" the fedex person dropped the transmission if there was no visible damage? Did you just think it was a possibility after the transmission shattered or what.

Anyways glad you got everything worked out and could save some of the valuable parts off of the trans.

Well i knotice that it had been dropped after it took it back out of the car I just knew that something else cause this type of damage. I called glenn and he said that he didn't drop it. when fed ex was unloading the tranny I could see that that was having a hard time wheeling it around with the little hand truck. I certainly didn't drop it. There where visible damage on the casing silimar to something that had beed dropped. I put the tranny back in the box the way I took it out and true enough there were damage also to the box in the area of the suspected damage on the tranny therefore fex ex was the likely suspect if I had knoticed this beforehand I would have pursued damages through fed ex. I never had this to happen before on any parts shipped to me is 20yrs therefore when the tranny was deliver assumuption was that everything's cool and I can't wait to get this babby in the car. from now onward everything will be thouroughly looked at when delivered lesson learned.

Last edited:
Well ,i'm glad you chimed in man, to be honest, like i said you hadn't named me so the only person's thoughts on me i had to worry about were yours, I don't want you to feel like you got screwed or as if i knew anything that i didn't disclose, that's all i'm getting at.. As long as you have no hard feelings or don't think i did something intentionlally that i didn't then i am cool.

Iam pissed about john just assuming that the trans had a ton of road race miles on it. I did give the impression that it would be road raced probably more than drag raced when it cameto the track but i haven't been on any track with the car in at least 5-7 years, When i described the type of use it wasfor the builder to know what i expected the trans to be able to deal with as far as shifting, RPM and loads both accel and decel. I told him my intentions were more focused around road racing because i like to row gears through corners and accelerate on the straights and launching was never a big thing to me as far as excitement, and that i really only went to the 1/4 mile to baseline the car because honestly drag racing is a little boring to me (just seems like pure abuse more than enjoying the vehicle).. But anyway like i said, if you and I are all good then i'm Ok with it but will still have a talk with Jon, and if there's anything i could do at anytime you should have known i would have been down to help as much as i could from our talks.

I'm still waiting to hear some results from the track too by the way :D And really, all that was bothering me was wanting to know what you honestly thought as far as if i was trying to get over on you, because that's definitely not the type ofperson i am, and wouldn't have outed myself in this thread had i any reason to think i may get proven to be or made to look like "the bad guy" selling junk parts, but as stated, if you're cool, then i'm cool, it was just eating me up a little not knowing if you honestly thought i'd intentionally setout to sell you bad parts or lied about anything in the transaction..I don't mind at all that you posted it, and although i apreciate you not naming names, when i sell a part or do work for some one i fully accept thje fact that my name and the details of the transaction may end up on the internet and that what's said could have an impact on my business dealings both local and internet based and based on that and my own sense of moral stance, I just am not the type of person to do those type of things -

ON the same set of principals/morals...... You should have seen the 4 days (over a 8 day period)that was a festival of shouting which ended in the firing of a gas station manager who accused me of stealing a candy bar by putting it in my ice cream and not paying for it (said i did it every day - which i did but every other employee vouched that i would tell them the candy was in there and pay for it even when they woudlnt' have known any better LOL)

, I just couldn't be considered or called a thief and live with that because i hate thieves and won't be made out to be one in the eyes of anyone because that "anyone" may be my next potential customer, next door neighbor or potential employer. Long story short the guy tried kicking me out of the store, calling the cops and more to which i nicely told him "call the police" many times but told him if he kept saying i was a thief outloud making stranbgers thing wrongly of me then me and him would have a personal and physical problem to sort out anytime he was ready.. But i kept it civil and I took it to the corporate level of the BP franchises that are local ... the owner is actually one of my lodge brothers but i didn't have to go as far as him, I cost this guy his job with 3 phone calls and a good reputation with the other store employees who all vouched that i often had them ring up things that i either had already eaten or mixed with other food when i could have probably gotten away with stealing if i had wanted to

So over accusing me of something he had no basis to back up, and my practices of being an honest and upstanding person in anything i do (to which people took enough notice to know and vouch for me not by name but by what i purchased daily because i was there once a day every day for the same stuff) he lost his entire source of income when he could have listened to me and the other people at the store that i was honest about my purchases and that he was wrong, but no, now he's just jobless LOL and it's not that i cared what HE thought about me, but i did care about what all the people witnessing these "encounters" would think of me if showing up for car work or calling me for home painting and remembering me from those encounters, that was enough that i took the time to prove that i was not a thief as well as keeping access to my favorite and clsoest store :)
Yeah no biggie I used the boards to post my experience not to blame.
I have been trying to get to the track and the weather been crazy. 78 degrees one day 22 degrees another. Tornados coming through here like they own something and rain and hail everywhere. Import face off was cancelled due to the crazy weather. So while all this is taking place I decided to pull my turbo and send it in to comp to have my 65mm turbine wheel upgraded to their new 67mm 10 blade light weight high efficiency one same as precision new cea 66mm unit http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...el-6266-6766&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13311213542331. Its so light it suppose to make more power due to less back spessure and spool just the same if not better than my current turbine wheel. We will see:boring:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey man i didn't mean to make it sound like you were blaming Glenn. i apologize if i came off that way.

Im still jealous of your ability to do your own tranny work!!=) glad to hear things are cool

Sometimes we will amaze ourselves when we have no other options. I messed around with my old awd tranny and the fwd unit is a piece of cake compared to it. I knew how to press the gears off , pop out all the pins, set the sinchros I just didn't under stand all the mom bo jumbo about how to do preload and endplay. I started reading and asking lots of question and it all started to make since. my only hang up was getting the small fifth gear off. I had to make a puller that would not damage the gear and after that it was on!!:sneaky: can you imagine my excitement when i first reved it to 8500 and it shifted just like the unit I bought from glenn! No leaks no grinding.

This whole thread is a lot of why I love tuners and the people here!!

An extremely good example of making things right in a very polite, straight forward, and honest way.

I've never spoken with glenn or done any business with him, but I have read hundreds of his posts and have seen why his reputation points are where they are. I've never seen any of his posts that would make me think anything less than 100% good guy.

I recently blew up a trans on my AWD and i've been thinking about tearing it down just to see what's in there and kind of play around since i've never done anything with transmission internals. It's good to see that more and more people are accomplishing this with AWD or FWD or AUTO or Manual.

I hope your trans holds up for a while now, and you get some good track time this year! I'll be looking out for updates and keeping in mind the trans you built seeing how it holds :D

Good job man!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I aprecaite everyone's kind words, and am now feel better that everythings been settled with everyone still on good terms (i'm actually talkingwith kelvin via PM on getting his advice on some building info for a trans of my own)

Anyway, I'm just glad it's settled and kelvin and I are on good terms still, after all that was my main concern with bringing this up, simply wanting to make sure that one guy i consider to be a good person and great fellow DSM;'er didn't have any hard feelings about a deal between us and didn't think i had done him wrong, and i'm glad that he can see that i wouldn't do anything like that in general

This is why i love tuners as well and why this is my "one stop DSM info spot" I consider the people i've become so familiar with on here to be good reliable people,but since we've not met in person in most cases there's a weird layer of unfamiliarity when i do meet some of you guys in person but every one of you ihave met have become better friends afterwards and having mostrly similar interests. If someone knocked on my door and said "hey this is keltalon, jusMx, etc..., my car is broken down up the road" then they would have access to my garage and full aray of tooling as well as a some food and drinks if they are hungry. I mean we are all aquainted in a sort of ways, we get to know things about each other and each other's lives, we offer parts,help, advice and the like and get the same in return in most cases..sure there's thousands of members that i have no clue who they are, but there's a few dozen that have been right here day in and day out with myself and others and just from these interactions have become people that upon meeting them they would have already established them selves as more than just an internet stranger from small partsd interactions and the such.

There's a good commoradery that seems to come along with DSM ownership and a long standing reputation/standing on this forum, and i have to say i really enjoy knowing a lot of you tht i've met both locally and in other areas even if limited to our interactions here and on this one subject, I would like to think many of you would extend the same offerings towards me if i were in your town that i would give you having you been here, and that's why i do what i do and take the time to write and help/explain and sharemy knowledge on this forum day in and day out when i have timetokill and wanna think horse power and mitsubishis

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back