The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

420A I’m trying to find a shifter cable and mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxbassett

Probationary Member
Jul 16, 2021
Saint Petersburg, Florida
So on my 1997 eclipse rs the shifter cable and mount went out and I’m new to the dsm community so I wanted to see what opinions I could get from the community on where I could find some or if I’ll have to fabricate it and I thought it would be smart to come to the people who know the cars

when you say "the shifter cable..." I assume this is an automatic trans car? The more details you give, the better the help you'll get. I suggest you start with Performance Partout for this kind of item. A decent used one should be perfectly adequate for repair. If you actually have a manual trans, then the condition of the cables is more critical, since every shift employs them. If you happen to go the fabrication route, make sure to share your experience with others here. Welcome to the forums!

So on my 1997 eclipse rs the shifter cable and mount went out and I’m new to the dsm community so I wanted to see what opinions I could get from the community on where I could find some or if I’ll have to fabricate it and I thought it would be smart to come to the people who know the cars
Sorry not a mount it’s the shifting cable bracket

when you say "the shifter cable..." I assume this is an automatic trans car? The more details you give, the better the help you'll get. I suggest you start with Performance Partout for this kind of item. A decent used one should be perfectly adequate for repair. If you actually have a manual trans, then the condition of the cables is more critical, since every shift employs them. If you happen to go the fabrication route, make sure to share your experience with others here. Welcome to the forums!
It is a manual trans and when I brought it to the shop to be checked the mechanic was telling me that we needed to replace those parts so I was just wondering where I could find those this has been helpful tho

OK, manual is a different story. I'm not sure how tough it will be to find cables (there are two that go in together) for a 97. For a 91-94; pretty tough. For a 1990, very tough. Sometimes it's just the cable ends that get sloppy, and those can be easier to fix with aftermarket kits. Also the shifter bushings are a notorious source of problems, and there are both OEM and aftermarket parts for those. When you say the "mount" went out, perhaps that's just that the mount is incorporated into the two cables as a unit. Hard to imagine those wear out. If the cables themselves are no longer usable, then you'll need someone who knows 2G series better than I on where to get replacements.

OK, manual is a different story. I'm not sure how tough it will be to find cables (there are two that go in together) for a 97. For a 91-94; pretty tough. For a 1990, very tough. Sometimes it's just the cable ends that get sloppy, and those can be easier to fix with aftermarket kits. Also the shifter bushings are a notorious source of problems, and there are both OEM and aftermarket parts for those. When you say the "mount" went out, perhaps that's just that the mount is incorporated into the two cables as a unit. Hard to imagine those wear out. If the cables themselves are no longer usable, then you'll need someone who knows 2G series better than I on where to get replacements.
Thank you so much and when I was referring to the mounts I was talking about the shifting cable bracket I just used a grossly wrong word LOL

I went to that link and it said it wouldn’t fit in my car what model is your car

It says they won't fit mine either for some reason. But clearly they did.

95-99 RS & GS Eclipses use the same shifter cables. You're good to go ahead and order those.
Thank you ywah mine is an rs so I wanted to make sure it would fit before I bought it

If you're referring to the bracket that secures the cable & housings to the trans just before they connect to the levers, JNZ Tuning was able to secure a few and they MIGHT still have one if you contact them ASAP. If not you might be able to find one in a junkyard or from someone who has a spare or eBay. Or maybe even get a metal fabricator to make you one out of metal stock. IIRC it's around 1/4" thick. Someone would just have to give you the right dimensions. I took mine out to derust and paint it while rebuilding my trans, so if you like I can take down the measurements and post them here. Let me know. Btw my trans is a '94 AWD manual.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back