The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

420A I’m looking for a transmission seals

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlover

Probationary Member
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth, Texas
I’m looking for a transmission seals for my 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS, I don’t know where to find one.

My local Autozone had National seals in stock so that's what I'm using. RockAuto has them as well. Make damn sure they are for the manual transmission though, most places list seals as fitting the auto and manual but they are different.

Here's a link to the correct part on RockAuto.

Even so, for seals that are hard to get to for replacement like that, I use OEM all the way, I have over the years used aftermarket seals plenty of times and had them fail either right away or just not last nearly as long as the originals, there are differences even though it might not be apparent from the naked eye, and being a tech I have installed a LOT of seals and gaskets, thousands of engines later I still vote for OEM on stuff like gaskets and seals when possible.

Don't get me wrong, I like OEM parts as much as the next guy. They typically are the best quality replacement parts. Hell I spent 10x as much just to get an OEM valve cover gasket. But the 2GNT axle seals are not something I'd stress about in the least bit. As long as they're not damaged during install, even the cheapest set would last years. And National is a reputable company, I've been using their various seals for a few years now.

The worst I've seen happen with our axle seals is they pop out or the rubber flap gets folded during install. I started using a skim layer of rtv on the outer diameter since one popped out, even though it's not necessary and it probably popped out because I was giving it hell. As long as you hold the axle level while installing and pop it in the diff slowly you don't fold or damage the rubber.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It's also easy to damage the seals when you remove the axles with a prybar. I always replace my axle seals if I have the axles out. At only $6 each it doesn't hurt one bit.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back