The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Hy35 vs fp3052 vs s256/59

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks boost demon, its a killer price but I don't think that would work. I believe the smaller fp3052 would be the better option as it has shown to do what I want it to do. This one is a tad to big...

That turbo is a 3052 (FP's naming for a 3076 in their FP30 bolt-on housing). It's been swapped to a smaller bolt-on housing, which should help it spool.

Thanks boost demon, its a killer price but I don't think that would work. I believe the smaller fp3052 would be the better option as it has shown to do what I want it to do. This one is a tad to big...
I believe you're confused....a 3076 IS a 3052.

If anything the turbo in that link would spool quicker than a true FP3052 because it has a 7cm2 (.49 a/r) MHI turbine housing adapted instead of a .69 a/r FP30 housing. Of course you'll lose a little top end flow as well, so don't count on reaching the full 52 lb/min potential of the 3076.

For all that hassle,,,just buy the higher stall converter or go to 2.3 stroker.

Great info in this thread, thanks. Especially you 1SIC1gb, as I've been thinking about running a bolt on housing HX35 while I piece together the twin-scroll setup and now I think my mind is made up. A cyclone IM should help with stalling it up at the line, as will cams that aren't so heavily top-end focused.

Thanks, yeah i would have liked to keep my stock intake manifold and dyno them side by side to see if this thing is even worth it but oh well. We will see this year at tx2k14 what it does. Trying to break that record for hx35 bolt on housing (11.1) but i have no idea if its going to . I am going to be pulling it off after tx2k and having turbolab machine it/ mod it to be a HXsuper40. He was saying they had one that they saw 78lb/min on with a billet wheel upgrade! Thats some unbeleivable flow! Also having him of coarse machine the stock turbine housing for this setup to run twin scroll. Im afraid of the spool up on that setup but i have the nitrous now so i dont care so much. I am totally maxed out right now so its time to upgrade.

I've been running a FP3052 on my A/T car for about a year and a half. At the track the car runs 10's all day. With the Hughes re-stalled OEM converter I could not build more than 3psi/3200rpm from a stop. Now I am running a Sinister Speed 8" core 2 and can launch at 15+psi and 4200rpm.

Things you want:
Billet compressor wheel
Ball bearing
Twin scroll (if possible, tho can be more expensive if using 2 wg's)

I can guarantee that you would be happier with a HTA68 or HTA71 over a FP3052. They will spool much faster and only lose a few HP. Can't go wrong with the Holset or BW options as well, though I would pick the one with the best spool characteristics if I were you.

I should have some results with a similar turbo soon. I bought a billet fp red a couple months back. Hta76 compressor, and a heavily clipped td06h turbine, in a 8cm housing. I was very unhappy with the spool. With a pressure source to the top waste gate port, I could not build more than 28 psi. In 3rd, I could hit 28psi a little after 5000 rpms. Not a setup I was wanting to run on an auto trans.

On a hunch, I swapped the fp 8cm housing for a heavily ported 7cm housing. Now I hit 30 psi around 4300 rpms, and can build 10psi at 3400 in 5th. This leads me to believe I can stall a restalled stock converter, from my previous experience.
Also I'm flowing about the same airflow at 30 psi, as I was at 28 before. Except now I can actually hit target boost in first gear with a pedal stab from a roll. Remember, the old red (60-1, clipped td06h) could hit 600 in a 7cm housing.

I believe you're confused....a 3076 IS a 3052.

If anything the turbo in that link would spool quicker than a true FP3052 because it has a 7cm2 (.49 a/r) MHI turbine housing adapted instead of a .69 a/r FP30 housing. Of course you'll lose a little top end flow as well, so don't count on reaching the full 52 lb/min potential of the 3076.

Thanks for that info jus...

For all that hassle,,,just buy the higher stall converter or go to 2.3 stroker.

Yes, that would be the next option to go. I like the idea of a 2.3 because this gives me different turbo options but I don't like the fact that its RPM limited unless its a counterweighted crank with proper bearing mods and such. With a 2.0 you can rev it high which that's what an auto needs. Its something to think about for sure though.

As far as the converter goes I would like to keep it as tight as possible since this is a street car. I know someone that has 4000 stall and its constantly running issues with trans temperature. Maybe a bigger cooler with a fan is needed but who knows..

I've been running a FP3052 on my A/T car for about a year and a half. At the track the car runs 10's all day. With the Hughes re-stalled OEM converter I could not build more than 3psi/3200rpm from a stop. Now I am running a Sinister Speed 8" core 2 and can launch at 15+psi and 4200rpm.

Things you want:
Billet compressor wheel
Ball bearing
Twin scroll (if possible, tho can be more expensive if using 2 wg's)

I can guarantee that you would be happier with a HTA68 or HTA71 over a FP3052. They will spool much faster and only lose a few HP. Can't go wrong with the Holset or BW options as well, though I would pick the one with the best spool characteristics if I were you.

I really like the setup that you're running, its stout. How is that sinister converter working out for you? What is the stall? How is the street manners and trans temp?

Like I said before the hta68 is a little beast of a turbo so I know it will give me the spool characteristic that im looking for. I want spool and flow so I have to make a choice and so far a proper twin scroll setup is looking like it can do both.

I should have some results with a similar turbo soon. I bought a billet fp red a couple months back. Hta76 compressor, and a heavily clipped td06h turbine, in a 8cm housing. I was very unhappy with the spool. With a pressure source to the top waste gate port, I could not build more than 28 psi. In 3rd, I could hit 28psi a little after 5000 rpms. Not a setup I was wanting to run on an auto trans.

On a hunch, I swapped the fp 8cm housing for a heavily ported 7cm housing. Now I hit 30 psi around 4300 rpms, and can build 10psi at 3400 in 5th. This leads me to believe I can stall a restalled stock converter, from my previous experience.
Also I'm flowing about the same airflow at 30 psi, as I was at 28 before. Except now I can actually hit target boost in first gear with a pedal stab from a roll. Remember, the old red (60-1, clipped td06h) could hit 600 in a 7cm housing.

Yes donniekak, let us know the result.

If your set on a twinscroll setup i would look into a hta71 or even a fp green in evo x 12cm ts housing. Spool close to a 16g but still flow 50lb+

If your set on a twinscroll setup i would look into a hta71 or even a fp green in evo x 12cm ts housing. Spool close to a 16g but still flow 50lb+

The 71 is a good choice but that price is out of my range. Actually anything twin scroll will be too but I could piece it together within a time frame.

I though about doing an evo X setup too. Another member has show excellent results while being able to have a broad rpm range and spool.

I spoke to soon. Stripped 3rd gear in my manual today. I'll get the auto in it tomorrow, or the next day with a stock converter and see what happens.

Mr Peepers is using an auto on his 1g hx35 with a twin scroll. I was reading his story the other day, which is a really nice write up by the way, and he said that he can get whatever boost level he wants off the line. He is still using a stock auto I believe too. I don't you'd have trouble with a holset.

^Does it bog down during the launch and was that after leaning it out in DSM Link?

I wouldn't really call it a launch. I'm going to lean it out, and try throwing some timing at it. I've ran autos before, it feels like it wants to get over the hump, but is just shy of the torque needed.

I wouldn't really call it a launch. I'm going to lean it out, and try throwing some timing at it. I've ran autos before, it feels like it wants to get over the hump, but is just shy of the torque needed.

Damn it looks like you are close enough. Is this with a restalled converter as well? If so what is the stall?

Skip the 3052 and go for the DSM76. The DSM76 is the HTA3052 with the billet wheel and is rated to flow 59lb/min.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back