The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

HY35 install pictures.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pj91gsx

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 25, 2007
Stuart, Virginia
ebay manifold 20
ebay wastegate 50
holset turbo 295 shipped
oil line with fittings 45
random pipe free
t3 flange 13
still to do, oil return, waterpipe line. weld exhaust flange, we made this into a bolt on to the factory exhaust if we wanted to. at least it bolts to a 3"dp that goes to the factory turbo. pretty cool.

Are you sure that's a HY35? I believe all HY35's had the compressor discharge facing downward.

I think you may have a HE341....same compressor wheel and turbine wheel as the HY35 with a slightly different compressor and turbine housing design.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Are you sure that's a HY35? I believe all HY35's had the compressor discharge facing downward.

I think you may have a HE341....same compressor wheel and turbine wheel as the HY35 with a slightly different compressor and turbine housing design.

LOLoLOLoLOLoLOLoLOLoLOLoLOLoLOLoLOLoLOLoLOLoLOLoLOL this turbo was listed as an hy35 on ebay and for the last 3 years, ive been puting an HE341 on my car when i thought i was putting an hy35 on. I dont even know what turbo i put on my car but i did it! LOL i went holset. it came of a 2003 automatic

almost picked one of these up for dirt cheap in perfect condition. How easy was it to get it to work on our dsm's? How much fabrication was necessary for this to work?

this thing will spool faster than an evo3 and have more power, less power however than a hx35

almost picked one of these up for dirt cheap in perfect condition. How easy was it to get it to work on our dsm's? How much fabrication was necessary for this to work?

this thing will spool faster than an evo3 and have more power, less power however than a hx35

as far as how easy. If you got this same manifold it would be that hard. The issue we have are the water pipe hose will need to be route under the transmission shifter cable then to the radiator, but this is because we didnt do a good job of choosing where to put the flange and angle the turbo. Its a lot of thinking and custom work. The exhaust however lined up about perfect. The oil return line will be angled i hope it works okay. other than that it was easy. we will have to do something about the intercooler pipes and stuff.
i changed my mind i think it is an hy35. how do you tel??

Contrarily, I think it will spool slightly slower than an Evo III (full boost around 4000-4200) and have the same airflow potential as a HX35; actually more airflow potential than a 7-blade HX35 in a Bullseye Power DSM bolt-on turbine housing.

which manifold did you use, mind posting a link to one? I was planning on using a stock 2g with a mitsu to t3 adaptor flange that is angled away from the water pipe. This way no modification to the water pipe and can keep the stock manifold. Downpipe is my only worry as i do not have a welder

same compressor as a hx35 7 blade. the turbine size is a 9cm2 instead of a 12cm2(or3)

red one is a he341 the turbo in question
black is he351 a turbo from 2004.5 on\
green is hx35

can someone decipher that for me i have no clue how to read those LOL

on the dodge forums they say these things spool quicker but lack the same top end power, these compressor maps should give you guys an idea of what they mean

the he351 from the 2004.5's is a direct replacement for the he341 and is better than the hx35 apparently. i would look for one of those and swap it out

the he351 from the 2004.5's is a direct replacement for the he341 and is better than the hx35 apparently. i would look for one of those and swap it out
The 7-blade HX35, HY35, and HE341 all use the same compressor wheel...only the turbine wheels and housings are different- the HX35 having the largest stock turbine wheel and housing of the three.

The HE351 uses a 7-blade HX40 compressor mated to the smallish HY35/HE341 turbine in the same 9cm turbine housing. Lots of compressor mated to a small turbine in a 9cm housing on a gasser doesn't mean the same as it does on a diesel. I know of a guy running 48psi on with the stock HE351CW on his Ram 2500.

ok then haha you have a bit more knowledge than i do on this and thank you! So would the he341 be a good turbo to run on our cars if we can fab them? Or would it be better to use and hx35 with a bep housing or in the stock holset housing, just trying to get an idea for my near future build

Good if you can get one cheap enough- otherwise the HX35 is a much better choice due to a more efficient turbine design and the fact that there are at least ten available turbine housings of different a/r ratios where the HY35 / HE341 have the stock 9cm housing only.

Keep us posted. take lots of pics. I've got one of these turbos and i'm tossing the idea of getting a Hx instead.

Keep us posted. take lots of pics. I've got one of these turbos and i'm tossing the idea of getting a Hx instead.

i will, i would really like to see what she does. im lacking injectors to support it. ive got 510s on. And yea, pictures, ill be sure to take plenty. The sad thing is, i would finish this really fast if i didnt have school monday threw thursday, so i will have only the weekends to do the work, but it should be enough. a question for Jusmx141, ive got a blank restrictor, i have to drill it out, you said to me in a pm long time ago .075-.1 should i drill closer to the .075 or the .1, i have eliminated balance shafts, and didnt port my ofh, because the local race shop said that is a stupid idea, because better oil pressure is better oiling. I do have a huge external oil cooler on the car, not sure if that effects oil pressure. The gauge, reading at the oil pump says 90 to 100 lbs at start up, but then goes down to 40 then the gauge dies to 0 for some reason, im sure the sensor is a little wacked up when my bro put, nonsensor safe rtv. It drops to 0 and then pat the gas it goes to where it should be. It doesnt have an oil pressure problem i promise, i pressure washed the motor, and it runs awesome with a 14b.

Jusmx141, ive got a blank restrictor, i have to drill it out, you said to me in a pm long time ago .075-.1 should i drill closer to the .075" or the .100"
Depends on how good your drain setup is, and how much boost you're planning on running. Lower boost levels (under 30psi) should be fine with .075". I'd want it closer to -3AN spec (.100" I.D.) if you're over 30psi.

I have same manifold but Hx35 W stock 12cm2 getting full spool around 4500+. However power is still on the raise after 7500 but runnning out of fuel and on stock head so im going to upgrade the vavle springs. Right now im running 780cc and a Rewired Walbro 255hp and at 16psi I am pushing around 34lbs air flow and around 82% Duty Cycle. Wen I turned up the boost to 23psi I got 99% Duty Cycle and 44lbs of air flow and thats on stock housing running 11.1 Afr.
So Im going to need some 1000cc or more and I might go with the Bep housing because I really dont like the slow spool but if I upgrade springs and rev to 8500+ should be Fun! Launching this thing I use to only build about 5 psi when running the 16g but im building around 11psi on the Holset and feels so nice launching. I thought it would fall on its face because of the slow spool but thought wrong.. Ill post some logs and pictures over and maybe some videos over the weekend..

I hope I'm not thread hyjackig but here are some pics of my Hy-35 with an ebay manifold aswell.

I really like that manifold. My manifold puts the oil drain right above the motor mount. I cut away alot of the mount, but am getting a custom half mount made when I upgrade the oil return size.

My spool numbers are not the greatest.. I am not getting the 20psi some guys are reporting at 3500. I have a built 2.4L that gets maybe 5psi around 3000 and a little under 10psi by 3500. After that the turbo really wakes up and spools quick. However I have not constantly been running it past 10 at the moment.
I fixed all the leaks in my manifold, but still need to test the piping... so the spool times COULD vary.

Anyone else with experience of the hy-35?

My HY-35 hits full boost at 3800 rpm. I have an Ebay Manifold and a 3.5" downpipe with a 3.5" cutout just before the Cat. Wastegate vents to atmosphere. Im using a 1" ID drain hose with a spring around it to stop kinking. I love this turbo!

Attachments

• talons.jpg
    talons.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 309
  • tal.jpg
    tal.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 314
My HY-35 hits full boost at 3800 rpm. I have an Ebay Manifold and a 3.5" downpipe with a 3.5" cutout just before the Cat. Wastegate vents to atmosphere. Im using a 1" ID drain hose with a spring around it to stop kinking. I love this turbo!

I'm diggin it Jeff99GS:thumb: It's people like you that are steering me more and more in the direction of the Holset family of turbos.

ahhh great, there is hope :)
I'm sure my small -10 drain has somethign to do with it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back