The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

hx52

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1gplymouth

Probationary Member
Apr 30, 2014
bowling green, Ohio
Alright guys I received a free hx52 turbo recently :) and am considering using it on one of my engine's that im building and was wondering what kind of supporting mods you think I would need to run it or if its even worth it to put it on

You should check out the mod list of people that are running the hx52 to see if you will be able to support that turbo.

I've looked into it, but there really don't seem to be to many people utilizing that turbo. It's GT42+ sized territory, which is huge.. The only two that come to mind working with these on DSM's are BigLady and Landspeed-DSM. Maybe you could get with them about it.

Yeah it is pretty huge LOL I'll have to look them up and see how they like it and what setups their running, If the lag isn't too bad I'll probably run it just for fun

I'd sell it, honestly. There are plenty of 90+ lb/min turbos that make better, more usable power.

You say that.. but I've yet to see a 67mm T4 turbo that has more usable power than this one. Both of these are 3rd gear clips from tuning and cruising around:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I've run into plenty of skeptics and blank stares in the last year at the 4 shops I've visited for various odds and ends through the course of the build, though after we finally go for a ride or put her on a dyno.. the common reaction is along the lines of "that responds like a 35R/6266"

Now, I'm not going to pretend Holsets in general or this Holset in particular are the best answer for everyone. She's bulky, heavy, has a weird downpipe flange, etc. But my experience has been very much positive thus far.

I will also qualify that my results may be atypical due to quirks of my setup.

That's good to hear I was starting to think I'd never spool it with this motor LOL and I got it for free from a buddy who owns a junkyard :)

It's an 800 WHP turbo. It's not whether or not you can spool it, it's whether or not you can afford to support it! Your free turbo will probably cost you at least $5000, depending on your current set up! (And that's just a guess)

Rods, pistons, cams, manifold(ouch), custom DP, wastegate(s), wastegate dumps.... Oh, and the fuel setup. Thats just off the top of my head. You COULD run it on a stock block i suppose. Just tune it very cautiously.

To properly support any turbo this size to it's potential, you're looking at an easy 5 figure investment.

What are your plans for the car? Not sure why folks are telling him to sell when he hasn't even told us what he's looking to do..

Though you should really already have built enough of a knowledge base up to where you don't have to ask what you need in order to run this thing.. so that's sort of throwing up red flags for me that may not be the best idea for you.

well i'd like to get at least 600 hp out of this motor and yeah i knew i'd need a lot of supporting mods for this thing but i was asking because i have never run a turbo this huge before and i wanted to see if anybody even runs something like this,i have 2 motors im building right now,ones a 14b record run motor and the other one that this turbo would be going on is a max hp build

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back