The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Hx40 with bep housing hp questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cody J Brown

Probationary Member
Oct 22, 2020
Columbus, Ohio
So I somewhat recently purchased a 1g talon. Car has an hx40 with a bep housing on it. I'm in the process of getting the car ready to be tuned. Currently have a 455 fuel pump, 1600cc injectors, 3 inch exhaust, front mount, 3 inch intake, external wastegate, fp exhaust mani, magnus intake mani. Swapping to 8an fuel lines soon as well. My question is, what numbers should I roughly expect with the bep housing. I've been looking at the forums all day and I keep seeing wildly different numbers all the way from mid 300s to 600s. I definitely don't want to be so restricted that I'm stuck in the 300s/ low 400s so if I need to swap the exhaust housing to achieve higher numbers I will. I just don't want to completely kill the spool time just to be a dyno queen though. Car will mostly be driven on the street and occasionally at the drag strip. Also will have ecmlink as soon as it gets done getting refurbed

What A/R is the BEP housing? If it is a DSM flange then it is smaller than the T3 hotside .82 A/R that I run. The stock BEP DSM flange housing is a bit restrictive but I bet you can hit 500. If the tune is too lean, that housing will act like a blowtorch on the CHRA shaft and snap it or bend it so keep her on the rich side. Both of my HX40 cars are now T3 because of this a few times in a BEP DSM flange housing.....
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

What A/R is the BEP housing? If it is a DSM flange then it is smaller than the T3 hotside .82 A/R that I run. The stock BEP DSM flange housing is a bit restrictive but I bet you can hit 500. If the tune is too lean, that housing will act like a blowtorch on the CHRA shaft and snap it or bend it so keep her on the rich side. Both of my HX40 cars are now T3 because of this a few times in a BEP DSM flange housing.....
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
I'm honestly unsure. The guy I bought the car from just said it's the dsm flange bep housing. I would assume it's the .55. I honestly was hoping for about 500 but would rather a smooth hard pulling car over a big hp number. Also noted on keeping it rich. I did forget I also have 280 cams and head studs so hopefully I can hit those numbers and keep the motor together.

Built correctly, it will make those numbers. :)
That .55 housing is the problem with the HX40. The HX35 works just fine with no issues (and spools a bit faster). I was running my setup on the ragged edge lean and broke 2 shafts and then got the one in the picture so hot from the small valute that it was red hot and bent. Now I run a T3 and much better AFRs.

Built correctly, it will make those numbers. :)
That .55 housing is the problem with the HX40. The HX35 works just fine with no issues (and spools a bit faster). I was running my setup on the ragged edge lean and broke 2 shafts and then got the one in the picture so hot from the small valute that it was red hot and bent. Now I run a T3 and much better AFRs.
Gotcha. Thanks for the input. I may just send it for now with the bep housing and see how it does. I'm a little to broke after buying the car/ all the parts the car didn't have yet to get a new hotside/mani. Hopefully it does decent numbers and maybe in a year or so I'll swap to the t3.

It will run very good. Boost will come in HARD.

It will run very good. Boost will come in HARD.
That's what I'd like. Previous car was a speed 6 that wasn't much more than a dyno queen. Made plenty of power but would get gapped by much slower cars cause the power range was way to high rpm and way to short since the turbo was too large for the stock block to handle. Threw it together from left over garage parts so it didn't hurt my feelings too much but I would much rather have a useful power band than a big pretty number.

My HX40 lets me run from 4500 to 9500 but is laggy down low. I usually don't push it that hard and don't run high boost most of the time but I know its there if I want it. I run a boost override button if I don't like what my wastegate setting is giving me. Never had to use it tho. :cool:

I have used the .55 housing before. The spool is fast but as said it should make 500+. To make more usually requires larger turbine housing. For example i run a 6264 hx40 in .82 T3 housing. I see 20psi by 4,600rpm and 30+ by 5,000rpm. I will say though the extra turbine flow in the upper rpm is noticed greatly. Last .55 housing turbo we used was on a 7blade hx35 and anything over 31psi would not show gains in power.

Do not use that housing if you're planning to run in excess of 30psi with no regard to EGT's. The turbine wheel is so large that there's no bypass, it forces all of the exhaust which isn't being wastegated through the turbine and has been known to cause failures as shown above. It was never designed for high boost and big power, these housings were introduced in 2004 when anything above 18psi was impressive.

The biggest killer seems to be E85 users running lean AFRs and not monitoring EGT's. They don't see knock so they keep going leaner with more-aggressive timing, meanwhile they have a plasma cutter situation going on inside the turbine housing.

^^^ This!!!
From the man that KNOWS!
Thanks for the input Justin!

Yeah he has evidence to show, ive decided to stick with my setup from justin. The way it is im just gonna montior egt, with this e 85 set up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back