The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

HX40 Auto Cam Opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickClarke23

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 5, 2004
Bishop, Texas
Ok I am looking to get some different cams for my 1G auto dsm . Built 9.0Cr 2.0L/2g head/JMF mani/billet converter/hx40 on 33-35psi on e85. it has some comp cams in it for the moment. It doesn't feel as though they pull very good to 8k and taper off at 7. Has kiggly valvesprings in it. Stock cam gears. Curious to the cams people are having the most success on similar setups? Kelford 280/280?

I have a 2.3 hx40 in bep55 ar housing with kelford 272s, power dies up top due to the small exhaust housing.

What exhaust housing do u have and what cams do u have?

Same here with Kelford 264's and the restrictive .55 BEP housing. She'll pull to 8500 but power drops off around 7500. I need to tune some more up there but I'm thinking of putting my twin scroll mani on.

I have an HX40 with the .55 BEP housing with some mild porting and BC 276's running 30psi. Once I reduced overlap by a few degrees it kept power up top, leveling off around 7000 and holding to 8500 with no apparent signs of dropping.

I will add that I am also running +1mm valves and the cylinder head has had a mild port n polish (bowls and runners)

I have an HX40 with the .55 BEP housing with some mild porting and BC 276's running 30psi. Once I reduced overlap by a few degrees it kept power up top, leveling off around 7000 and holding to 8500 with no apparent signs of dropping.

I will add that I am also running +1mm valves and the cylinder head has had a mild port n polish (bowls and runners)

What are your cam gear settings?

What are your cam gear settings?

I had to go -4 Exhaust +2 Intake to get them degree'd to cam spec, then went +3 Exhaust and -2 Intake to get to where I am now.

But, every motor is different and my numbers probably won't be what you need. In this case, my head had been surfaced twice already in it's life. Hence why they were so off from the cam card to begin with.

If you're looking for topend and want to decrease overlap to get there, remember you're going to sacrifice vacuum at idle as well as idle quality. But with less overlap the top end is where the meat and potatoes will be.

and with a 2.3, you are going to be in for a fight up top.

Who is using the kelford 280/280 on an auto? How do you Like them?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back