The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

HX40 97GSX Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosted97DSM

Probationary Member
Feb 27, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
My 97 gsx started off as a low 13sec car with my old setup...

254587_3518968062780_1514001505_n.jpg
277947_10151341640468709_1600163339_o.jpg

After the infamous crankwalk happened, I began pulling the motor.

IMG_2403.JPG

Decided to do a full engine build and go with an entire different turbo setup, the Holset HX40 7 blade. Got the car torn down and sent the block in as a core and the head to get machined. I decided to keep my 7bolt head and do the 6bolt block swap.

Block-
6bolt polished crank
Manley Hbeam Rods w/arp's
ACL race main and rod bearings
Mahle pistons 8.5:1
Bored .20 over
ARP head studs
Gates racing kevlar timing belt

Head-
Supertech HP intake and exhaust valves
BC valve springs and titanium retainers
Manley valve locks
Revised lifters
Power Division valve stem seals
Crower 272 cams
Cometic head gasket

Turbo-
Holset HX40
Bep Mitsu Housing
Tial external wastegate
Recirculated 02 housing
Forced Performance race manifold
Hallman pro MBC

Exhaust-
Megan 3inch turboback
No cat or muffler

Drivetrain-
Stage 2 trans w/welded center diff
Rebuilt transfer case
4bolt lsd rear end
Competition clutch 6puck unsprung
Comp clutch 8lb aluminum flywheel
Comp clutch forged clutch fork
Brand new master and slave w/ss line

Fuel-
FIC 950cc (for now)
Walbro 255 rewired
FuelLab adj. FPR
SS fuel lines

Electronics/Tuning-
DSMlink with eprom ecu swap
AEM wideband
Boost and oil press gauges

Also went with Avid racing solid mounts all around. Redline shockproof fluid in rear diff and xcase, mt90 in trans. Brad Penn Grade 1 racing engine oil. Silicone vac lines and egr delete. A/C deleted and charcoal canister deleted under battery. Also ran the no cruise control throttle cable.

IMG_2891.JPG
IMG_3222.JPG
IMG_3224.JPG
IMG_3197.JPG
IMG_3235.JPG
IMG_3258.JPG

Turbo-water pipe clearance-

IMG_3267.JPG

For the turbo oil feed line, I ran the forced performance -4 an feed line from the 1990 oil filter housing. I put the restrictor fitting right off the housing into the line. .075" restrictor. Holsets are very sensitive to high oil pressure so to measure the oil pressure I got the -4an oil filter sensor fitting and ran it inline with the feed line straight to my gauge. This measures the oil pressure going to the turbo at all times. (pics below)

IMG_2824.JPG
IMG_2827.JPG

The 1990 oil filter housings are air cooled, so I bought the oil cooler kit from extremepsi and installed it right next to my front mount in the front bumper. Since the turbo and oil filter housing are not coolant cooled, and I used the 7bolt water pipe, I put clamps over the water pipe fittings not being used.

IMG_3265.JPG
IMG_3264.JPG

Andddd the finished product--

IMG_3404.JPG
IMG_3289.JPG
IMG_3331.JPG

Last edited:
thats sounding like a nicley done build close to what i did to mine execpt im building my head now good luck hitting your numners!!

BC 272s are not that popular. Maybe some crower 272s or hks? Even the ffwd regrinds would be better than BC's

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back