The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

HX35 Failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jperks911

Probationary Member
Mar 30, 2022
Ashby, Massachusetts
Hey guys, I'm trying to pin point what caused this type of failure. It happened during a etune. Doing a small pull during the tune, i heard a small pop and then smoke. I just assumed the turbo seals failed. I finally took it apart this week as a bought a new cartridge. Took the turbo out and i found the hot side of the turbo es completely desimated and the housing destroyed. I've attached the pictures of the hx35 turbo and the housing. Thanks in advance!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Holsets need a 3/4 drain. Although I doubt that's what caused it to grenade like that.

Was it an original off a truck or did someone rebuild it?
It was probably an original. I bought it used. I currently bought the cardone cartridge to replace it. I was thinking i could reuse the housing but that didnt go as planed

All the bigger turbos in bolt on housings melt the turbine inducer tips at anything close to real boost. Sometimes they hold together, sometimes the resulting imbalance bends and breaks the turbine shaft.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back