The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

HX35/40 Housings in 2022

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedicine

Proven Member
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto, ON_Canada
Hello,

I wanted to start a new thread on what is available for the HX40's in 2022. I've been reading through the holset threads but it looks like alot of the information is older and some of the links to purchase items are no longer working or these items aren't in stock (BEP).

Currently this is what i've found that is mostly available in 2022. Let me know if anything should be added or deleted

HX40
- Garrett P-trim (needs to be machined)
- T3 (Single) - .82
-T4 Twin Scroll (haven't seen any for sale)
- Bullseye Power HX40 Turbine House (Currently out of stock)
- Bullseye Power HX40 Turbing Housing Ver 2.0 - T3 .70 A/R, 3.0" V-Band (Anyone used this, comes in stainless)

HX35
- Bullseye Power HX35 bolt on

Last edited:
I have ONE Bullseye Power .55 DSM flange housing for HX40s. They work fine on gasoline but not on E and I am running E so I posted it for sale.
I think you have covered all of the options that I can think of. I am not sure where I got my .82 AR housing but I run one on a 7 blade and Bullseyes .70 on the other car with the same turbo.

The 0.82 HX40 housing is from TurboLabs of America?
Other than that, everything is DCed.

Thanks Vegas! :thumb:
I have 2 stock HX40 twin scroll housings but the dam things are SOOO heavy and bulky that IDK if we could adapt one to fit or not plus the weight would be heavy on the exhaust manifold for sure. I believe that they are factory T4 divided.

From what I’ve seen for the hx40 the .82ar open t3 is readily available through turbo lab, AGP turbo, and other eBay vendors and such. I haven’t seen either the cast or stainless .70ar bep housing listed as available but I haven’t looked real recently but as Vegas stated I’m pretty sure both are discontinued as is the .55ar bolt on housing as well.

As far as the hx35 goes it appears Bullseye is no longer offering anything for them either. The .82ar open t3 is actually offered from places for the hx35 but really it’s too much turbine housing for the hx35 on our application, but is an available option.

As far as the hx35 divided t3 housing and hx40 divided t3 and t4 housings I’ve seen those listed before in the past on eBay by themselves, not authentic Holset but they’re a cast copy and look to be the same or at least the same enough to not make a difference. If those aren’t available one could always buy the cheapest Chinese hx35 or hx40 clone depending on which they have for $140-$150 shipped and rob the turbine housing off of it if they’re looking for the factory Holset style. I know that Beans guy with the auto Laser ran the divided t4 housing on an hx40 in true twin scroll configuration with real good results but as Marty mentioned, if you’ve ever seen that thing in person it is indeed big, bulky, and heavy but one could work around that if they chose to.

Sadly, availability of turbine housings for the Holset’s (without machine work being required) is slim these days compared to the options we had 5+ years ago and seems to be making the popularity fall off. The hx40 is proven to do well in the .82ar open t3 and like I said that indeed is available so that’s a plus, but leaves hx35 users looking for something used or machining something unless they’re looking to run twin scroll or find something on the used market.

I have a HX40 with a .63 T3 from Tim’s Turbos but it’s super old. I doubt they’re still available but worth a shot. He’s usually easy to reach by email or phone.
I believe his were machined Garrett style housings like what you’d find on a gt3582 but someone might have more insight on that. With that being said I’ve often wondered if one could machine one of the housings from the $110 dollar “maxpeedingrods” gt3582’s, however it’d never be worth it as the .82ar is a direct fit and readily available for less money once you figure in machine work aside from being a better match.

Bullseye offered an odd .55ar open t3 housing as well but other than the one my buddy has on his car with his hx40 I’ve only heard of them, that’s the only one I’ve actually seen. It was weird as in it was open t3 but had the standard dsm/evo 1-3 style o2 housing footprint. It was cool in the sense it allows you to use a t3 manifold with a wastegate provision if you plugged the turbine housing and you could simply mate a ported stock or aftermarket tubular o2 housing to it and still use a bolt on down pipe, however being .55ar it was a solution to a problem no one really had. One could simply buy the bolt on variant and being .55ar it would perform pretty much the same but could be mounted to a ported 2g manifold or FP manifold so I’m guessing it didn’t really sell and they didn’t offer it long.

The first-run of Tim's ".63" housings flowed very poorly but have apparently been revised as these look nothing like the older ones I have experience with. That's a good thing.

The original .70 T3 Bullseye housings are still available as well, just not the DSM bolt-on footprint. This is honestly the best way to run the 54mm HX35 and 60mm HX40 on our platform...the .82 housings should only be considered if a compressor upgrade is utilized.

The first-run of Tim's ".63" housings flowed very poorly but have apparently been revised as these look nothing like the older ones I have experience with. That's a good thing.

I see they offer them for the hx35 as well so that’s a good thing if they flow better. At least gives the hx35 users an option over the .82 that’s floating around. I still regret at times selling that .70 hx35 bep housing I had but I know the guy I sold it to put it to good use opposed to me staring at it on a shelf when I go to my garage to smoke.

I have a turbo lab. 82 but really consider getting a .70 bep I also have a hx40 with a erl old school manifold.

I have a turbo lab. 82 but really consider getting a .70 bep I also have a hx40 with a erl old school manifold.
If you already have the .82 I wouldn’t go through the hassle of tracking down a .70 and paying 200+ used for it. @1990TSIAWDTALON mentioned in another thread he had switched between the .70 and .82 and noticed no notable difference even in a datalog. The .70 bep housing is a solid unit but you wouldn’t have much to gain from that move.

The HY35 with a Turbonetics manifold and a Morrison downpipe lookin' awful spicy these days...
Problem there is availability of the hy35. I looked into it a while back and while it’s a badass combination finding a core has become a task, however @JusMX141 MIGHT be able to turn a Chinesium hy35 into something if you talk to him.

Problem there is availability of the hy35. I looked into it a while back and while it’s a badass combination finding a core has become a task, however @JusMX141 MIGHT be able to turn a Chinesium hy35 into something if you talk to him.
I see a bunch on eBay, and likely still tons in junkyards all around America. No, they're not the $100 pieces that they used to be, but a $250 core and a budget rebuild is still dirt cheap compared to a new, modern turbo. Holsets got their reputation from being tough as nails, lasting forever, and being cheap to rebuild. That really hasn't changed much. Have you seen what turbos cost these days? I paid $900 for my lightly used EFR7670 in 2016 - it's a $2,600 turbo now! If I were to do it today, damn right I'd be all over a 20+ year old turbo!

I see a bunch on eBay, and likely still tons in junkyards all around America. No, they're not the $100 pieces that they used to be, but a $250 core and a budget rebuild is still dirt cheap compared to a new, modern turbo. Holsets got their reputation from being tough as nails, lasting forever, and being cheap to rebuild. That really hasn't changed much. Have you seen what turbos cost these days? I paid $900 for my lightly used EFR7670 in 2016 - it's a $2,600 turbo now! If I were to do it today, damn right I'd be all over a 20+ year old turbo!
Oh I’m by no means talking you out of it! You can’t go wrong, I should say I think availability is what defers many from it but it’s still far from a bad way to go they’re definitely out there.

I have two bullseye DSM flange .55 housings laying around in the garage. But both are machined for other brand 67mm turbine and the wheel contacted the housing when it got blown... Wish I could repair those housing to reuse :ohdamn:

At this point I've had about a half-dozen HY's here that were so rusted together the turbine housing broke at the v-band flange while attempting to separate the bearing housing, and I've had to scrap probably another dozen more over turbine housings that were so badly-corroded or cracked that they weren't worth using. I'm hesitant to even buy HY35 cores anymore unless they're exceptionally-clean....the problem being there are no replacement turbine housings are available for the HY35, so the only option to get my customer out of a jam in either situation is to buy a complete China unit and rebuild it with the OEM Holset rotor group then swap the OEM compressor housing on as well. It's a conglomerate, but it works and stays together.

At this point I've had about a half-dozen HY's here that were so rusted together the turbine housing broke at the v-band flange while attempting to separate the bearing housing, and I've had to scrap probably another dozen more over turbine housings that were so badly-corroded or cracked that they weren't worth using. I'm hesitant to even buy HY35 cores anymore unless they're exceptionally-clean....the problem being there are no replacement turbine housings are available for the HY35, so the only option to get my customer out of a jam in either situation is to buy a complete China unit and rebuild it with the OEM Holset rotor group then swap the OEM compressor housing on as well. It's a conglomerate, but it works and stays together.
This reminds me of the hy35/hx40 hybrid you built for a customer a while back. I’m not a diesel guy so I don’t know how authentic and legit the parts used in this are so I wouldn’t recommend anyone here go running and buying it (especially to spend that much to go knocking the wastegate actuator mount off with an angle grinder or welding the flapper), and specs might not be something that would work well, but paints a picture of what can be done borrowing some Chinese core parts (the Chinese parts that don’t spin at a high rate of speed primarily).

With that though staying on topic of turbine housings it’s safe to say running a bolt on housing for any Holset in the year 2022 has proven to be a task just based on availability. However there are plenty of t3 and even t4 options left. If I were to go back to an hx35 it’s still well worth it in my book to go with a t3 option, my 8 blade hx35 in a .70 bep housing was a hoot and I regret not sticking with it longer. I’m hoping @CrackedDSM opts for one of the Tim’s turbos .63 t3 housings as if they’ve corrected the quality of flow I’m willing to bet it gives it a nice jump over the .55 bolt on without being too restrictive and like I mentioned, gives hx35 users an easily obtainable option.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

in terms of running a t3/t4 housing what manifolds are available other then custom. Archer and Morrison do beautiful work and would love to go with either of there options but in 2022 is there anything else readily available?

in terms of running a t3/t4 housing what manifolds are available other then custom. Archer and Morrison do beautiful work and would love to go with either of there options but in 2022 is there anything else readily available?
Just about any t3 flanged manifold aside from the rev9 cast job and even as mentioned above that will fit the hy35 but would need a spacer for the hx35/40 and even then that wouldn’t be the most optimal selection for something like an hx40. Other than that you pretty much named it, don’t know if JMF or STM are still offering DSM manifolds in a t3 flange and there’s always the cheap Chinese tubular ones but you get what you pay for and have to understand the risks involved.

As far as a t4 flange goes I know a guy running an hx52 on a DNP divided t4 manifold so don’t see why an hx40 wouldn’t fit, however the DNP hasn’t been offered in a long time so same deal.

No matter how you look at it there’s the known options, something custom made, or something cheap that might get the job done for a while. Keep in mind there’s no such thing as a “t3/t4 housing”, they will be t3 or t4 flanged.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back