The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G HVAC and Road Racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyderdrifter

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2009
Somewhere in, Colorado
I'm in progress of building my 95 GSX for road racing. I found a nice 2.5 mile road race track a couple hours away, so it has encouraged me to replan aspects of my car. I do want to occasionally drive it on the street, or drive it to work (1.5 hr drive one way), but the main focus will be for the road course. I want to retain A/C for the longer drives off course, but I know the condenser being sandwiched between the radiator and a FMIC isn't the best for airflow to any if those coolers, and can potentially cause over heat issues due to that lack of air flow. I've been looking at various parts such as Honda half size radiators and even a/c condensers with a similar size to half rads. Back when I had my old spyder, I did have a VRSF FMIC for a time, and never had overheating issues, but I also didn't have the a/c system installed. Should I be ok with a condenser and radiator that are both half sized and mounted side by side? Is a half size rad good enough to keep things cooled for sustained racing? Should I just forget about the hvac and keep a full size rad? All suggestions are welcomed.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I have a 1990 GSX that I have been road racing on and off for a while. My suggestion for radiator size would be a larger capacity aluminum radiator. I have a fluidyne that I think holds about 1/2 gallon more than stock. A lot of people also make ducting to the radiator out of sheets of aluminum (Home Depot) to increase airflow efficiency. I also have a hood with a vent above the exhaust manifold to let out some hot air. Like an EVO. Also switching to E85 helps too because it burns cooler than regular gas. I also do have the A/C removed, but my car is not on the street anymore. I believe the 1/2 size radiators are more of a drag racing thing. I hope some of these ideas can point you in the right direction to achieve your goals.

This is a nice idea. I do however have a brand new compressor for the car already. But this might be a future investment. I like that it electric and can be mounted anywhere. Still need to figure out a solution for the condenser though.
I am in the process of trying to figure out this solution as well. Im planning on road racing and want to keep AC. Im thinking about throwing the condenser in the back under the trunk ( welded flat metal drop in).It clears up a lot of space just need to get brackets done.
Not sure if this helps any.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back