The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G huge tick, not sure what

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xander123

Probationary Member
May 29, 2021
Edmonton, AB_Canada
so I installed a big 16g turbo, 3g lifters, and hks 272 cams, and after starting the car theres a really bad tick.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
I made sure to do everything proper, all my timing marks were perfect, I replaced water pump and balance shaft components, and everything was good. my tdc was proper, everything was torqued right. but the second I start the car theres a terrible ticking. before doing any of the installs the car ran perfect. zero problems at all

Last edited:
Did you bleed the lifters down before installation? If so they’re gonna tick until they pump up. Normally it take going for a short drive before they quiet down.
I did not.. I was told to just soak them in fresh oil for 30 mins, so I soaked them for about 45 mins. do I have to pull them all out? I didnt even onow bleeding the lifters was a thing.

With just the description given and the video. It sounds like you have a couple problems. It sounds down at least one cylinder and or a exhaust manifold leak. I here some lifter tick that’s normal as long as they were bled.
it was a manifold leak, I found it.

I did not.. I was told to just soak them in fresh oil for 30 mins, so I soaked them for about 45 mins. do I have to pull them all out? I didnt even onow bleeding the lifters was a thing.

it was a manifold leak, I found it.
Sounds like bent valves man ,you stated that you didn’t bleed the lifters🥶,your suppose to soak them in oil then bleed them.

Sounds like bent valves man ,you stated that you didn’t bleed the lifters🥶,your suppose to soak them in oil then bleed them.
Not necessarily, they may not have been "pumped up" to begin with.
I don't think I have ever seen actual evidence that non-bled lifters would cause the valves to be open so much to contact pistons. Would love if someone could point in the direction of some.
Also have not read the procedure of soaking them in oil before bleeding.. can't even fathom the reason why.
I have always just opened the valve inside with a small alan key and gave each three or four pumps with it open then dropped it into some oil and installed.

Not necessarily, they may not have been "pumped up" to begin with.
I don't think I have ever seen actual evidence that non-bled lifters would cause the valves to be open so much to contact pistons. Would love if someone could point in the direction of some.
Also have not read the procedure of soaking them in oil before bleeding.. can't even fathom the reason why.
I have always just opened the valve inside with a small alan key and gave each three or four pumps with it open then dropped it into some oil and installed.
well I took the car for a 5 mins drive after fixing the manifold leak, and the ticking stopped shortly after. my dad says that mightve been the leaking exhaust making that tick

well I took the car for a 5 mins drive after fixing the manifold leak, and the ticking stopped shortly after. my dad says that mightve been the leaking exhaust making that tick
I think we have different definitions of tick ;) I heard what I thought was a missing spark plug, more of a thwup sound. Empty lifters make a clack.

It’s normal to have to drive for a few minutes with new lifters. In the video, whatever the exhaust leak was was overwhelming the audio. Glad it’s fixed either way !

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back