The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

HTA86 on Stock block, should I turn it up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EclipseOwner95

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 16, 2002
Jacksonville, Florida
Well we just finished tuning my car on the new HTA86 setup the other day and took it out for some fun.

I'm curious as to what sort of boost levels would be safe on a stock bottom end, right now I'm running on pump, 24lbs, 18* of timing, and flowing 51lb/min lifting at 7500, with an 11.5 AFR, car feels incredible, and stayed side by side with a known 125mph turbo fox.

I want to turn it up, but I'm skeptical as to what the bottom end would hold up to. I have a few spare running shortblocks in the garage, but I'm not going to purposely try to blow this one.

Anyone making decent power on the stock bottom end want to chime in? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

51 lb/min from that turbo is pathetic. You need to turn up the wick if you want to really feel what it has to offer you.

For comparison's sake, I've seen a DSM bolt-on SBR G60 log 50 lb/min @ 28psi; that's a turbo which would outspool yours by a good 500rpms and make the same horsepower on just 4psi more than you're currently at.

The stock block can handle 550whp safely for a good while with a perfect tune.

Turn it up to 28psi and see how it likes it. That turbo isn't in its efficiency range yet. When you are tuning, keep an eye on knock. In fact, set the CEL to go off at 1* of knock. Detonation will kill a stock block when you are approaching the limits.

Are you on pump gas? You may want to richen it up a bit when you turn up the boost. I like to stay between 11.0 and 11.3 to keep things safe.

51 lb/min from that turbo is pathetic. You need to turn up the wick if you want to really feel what it has to offer you.

For comparison's sake, I've seen a DSM bolt-on SBR G60 log 50 lb/min @ 28psi; that's a turbo which would outspool yours by a good 500rpms and make the same horsepower on just 4psi more than you're currently at.

Well I understand that its pathetic, 24psi on my turbo is pathetic too, I'll have a forged shortblock soon, which is why I went ahead and got this first. Everything I have for this car is pissing in the wind due to my stock bottom end. Magnus cast IM, and FP4R's are just getting going at 7500 when I shift.

I'll back off the timing a few degrees and turn it up to 28psi and see what happens.

The stock block can handle 550whp safely for a good while with a perfect tune.

Turn it up to 28psi and see how it likes it. That turbo isn't in its efficiency range yet. When you are tuning, keep an eye on knock. In fact, set the CEL to go off at 1* of knock. Detonation will kill a stock block when you are approaching the limits.

Are you on pump gas? You may want to richen it up a bit when you turn up the boost. I like to stay between 11.0 and 11.3 to keep things safe.

I have my CEL to go off at 1* already, I don't like to play with knock. And yes I'm on pump gas. Thanks for the advice.

Well I understand that its pathetic, 24psi on my turbo is pathetic too
It wasn't intended to be an insult to you or your turbo....just means you need to throw a little more boost into your setup before you can start expecting the airflow numbers to reach beyond what a non-HTA FP Green can do for you at nearly the same boost level.
Everything I have for this car is pissing in the wind due to my stock bottom end.
Read up on Ostar Motorsports lately?

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dra...ts-new-fastest-quickest-stock-block-4g63.html

Of course that's an extreme example- most of us will never see those type of results, but still it's a reference that proves the stock low end probably isn't holding you back as much as you think unless it's really, really tired.

It wasn't intended to be an insult to you or your turbo....just means you need to throw a little more boost into your setup before you can start expecting the airflow numbers to reach beyond what a non-HTA FP Green can do for you at nearly the same boost level.

Read up on Ostar Motorsports lately?

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dra...ts-new-fastest-quickest-stock-block-4g63.html

Of course that's an extreme example- most of us will never see those type of results, but still it's a reference that proves the stock low end probably isn't holding you back as much as you think unless it's really, really tired.

I didn't take it as one, no worries. And yes I've definitely seen that thread, what a beast. I agree an extreme example, but "doable" none the less.

Mines a little tired I'm sure, it used to have a PTE SCM50 and a 50 shot on it for about a year, but it didn't get sprayed all that often. We'll see what happens when I turn it up this weekend.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back