The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

HPDE3 Report: 2g Talon with cooling mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whats up man? I remember talking to you that day over at PIR. I had the only other 2g ROFL That weekend was my first time out on the track, i regret to say my 2g started overheating at such a rapid pace that after 4 laps on the 1st session, my temp gauge was already pegged out, but i was having so much fun, i didnt even wanna pull off ROFL I had to pull off early both 2nd and 3rd session and have been sitting on the side line ever since. Im actually just now about to change setups and get it ready for the fall so i can hop right back into HPDE2 and get some much needed seat time.

Have you made any more races since, and are you planning to attend any soon? Ill be out there August at FIR West, but just to say hello to everyone and watch my buddies. Hope to see you at the track!

-Kevin

I use a FAL (flex a lite) 12" pair of ducted fans on a Fluidyne rad, Evans waterless coolant, 180 deg thermostat, exhaust vent on hood aaaand some crazy lookin' scoop thingies up front...I can't do anything to get the temps above 195 deg when the fans are on.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

^^^ is AWESOME!
Good Job Man! :thumb::thumb:

Do you have anymore pics you care to share.
What's going on with the swept back duct under the head light?
Is that for an oil cooler?

Thank you sir!
At the moment, I have only one more pic to show the oil cooler ducting.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The pic in post #52 shows a duct welded directly to a Dejon big SMIC.

I bought a Millermatic 180 just to do this job.

Damn, thats going to be the coolest engine ever! Literally.

Will your bumper fit over this? I think it looks great how does it perform?

Man. I was never happy with how hot things got under the hood. I did alot for heat management. I fabbed up a radiator duct very similar to the one posted on the first page of this post. It definitively helped. I am running a Hahn Racecraft big smic which works wonderfully with the ducting I created for it. I fabbed up a front splitter undertray which well... Looks neat anyways. LOL. I had been running a carbontrix hood vent. That helped alot. I wrapped my dnp ss exhaust mani. That also helped. I put in a big name aluminum radiator. I'm running a 1.3 bar blitz radiator cap. My car has never overheated. It runs the same temp irregardless of what I'm doing. I did all this with road racing events in mind. Later on I added a VIS evo style cf hood. The hood really made a huge difference. In fact afterwards I removed the thermal wrap from the dnp header as the wasn't any point to it anymore and it was starting to flake even tho it was hi temp silicon painted. I loved my carbon trix hood vent but it can't be denied the huge vents on the vis evo hood works better. If you stop at a light you wind up looking thru heat shimmer. That hood did drop my normal operating temperature. One thing I thought was kind of interesting is that when I first started messing around with heat management I took off the hood. Kinda like the old school muscle car guys do. With the hood off it actually ran hotter. Air flow gets all messed up. I also ran it without the front clip on for a bit and noticed lower iats and a cooler surface temp on the smic. Hence the reason I fabbed up the duct to the smic and in the process enlarged the front opening going to it.

60% of the on-track cooling issues are related to ducting and radiators, the other 40% are related to all of the FMIC everyone seems so enamored with. Once you actually get on the racetrack you'll realize you don't need or want 500hp and all that FMIC is doing is blocking your radiator cooling air. I have one of the other Archer PRO racecars and like Schemauer, it has the STOCK radiator and ducting. Never have any cooling issues at all.

Funny you should say that. I was accused of nailing a small animal at Road America because of that front end (they called it the critter splitter) and some chick at an auto-X bonked her ankle on it while it was parked.
It dangerous!

Funny you should say that. I was accused of nailing a small animal at Road America because of that front end (they called it the critter splitter) and some chick at an auto-X bonked her ankle on it while it was parked.
It dangerous!

Are you going to R. A. for the MVP track time gig on the 16/17th?

Mine isn't as monstrous or as aggressive looking and I'm sure it doesn't work as well but it also has a leading "knife" edge to it that some people have thought is "dangerous." LOL. I'm going to have to paint it blood red now

Under radar,
How much does it cost to do that gig?

Not sure, I'm just spectating and that is free. Bringing the helmet for ridealongs though. If you go, PM me. I'll let you know where to find our group.

My understanding is that it was around $400.00 for the 2 days but I just checked the website and it's sold out.

(It's ok to call me Jim, BTW)

It dangerous!

ss auto works crx - Google Search

Japans fasts NA fwd car that has remained unchallenged for over a decade

Is running something sorta of similar to what you have:thumb:

Maybe you should make the splitter a little more F1ish like this crx has in the future:aha:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back