The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

hp numbers??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owndjoo

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 15, 2003
OhioUS
i have a '95 AWD talon, safc,avcr(23ish psi), ported 14b, stock smic, stock downpipe, o2 dump, 2.5" test pipe, rps stage 3 6 puck, 1g crushed bov, 1g throttle body,stock internals, weight reduction.

i went a 12.677 @ 106.28 at the shootout mid day 2500ish corrected alt., and 80+ degrees. i'm thinkin i'm prolly close to 300ish hp, can anyone help me out here?

I'd say you definitely have MORE than 300hp (at the crank) to hit 106mph in the quarter. Put it this way, a C5 corvette has about 350hp and hits ~107+. Don't forget that you have all-wheel drive.

having awd would mean it would take les hp to run that trap speed, and a vette is heavier then a dsm(espicaly with whatever weight reduction he did), meaning it would take even less power to run that trap speed in a dsm
but there is 1 thing i can tell u, stock 450cc injectors are only good for about 250whp(which is a little less then 300 at the crank), ur mod list doesnt say anything about upgraded injectors so i assume u have stock ones, if u tuned ur safc good and maxed out ur injectors at about 110% cycle duty u might be making 300hp at the crank, but its doubtful that u will break the 300bhp mark without upgraded injectors
get a downpipe(i would have gone 3" but u can stick with the small 2.5 if u want to) and some injectors and u should be able to make over 300bhp, a bigger ic would help too, and i dont know if u have upgraded ic piping(doesnt say u do in ur post or mod list) but ur definitly going to need upgraded upper and lower ic pipes to make numbers over 300bhp

1.Trap speed (mph) is much more closely related to horsepower than time. AWD will usually get you a better time due to launches, but will slow your trap speed down. AWD produces more friction and adds weight, therefore less horsepower put to the ground. The same mods on a FWD car would yield a better MPH but slower time (generally speaking or course). This is a fact.

2. The C5 corvette weighs about 3200lbs, that's about 50lbs heavier than a stock AWD, it is negligible even if he has minor weight reduction.

I never ask what "time" someone runs in the quarter, it's the MPH that's indicitive of how fast the car is. For example, if car A ran 13.2 @ 101mph and car B ran 13.8 @ 105, car B would walk all over car A if they raced from a rolling start.

yes i have intercooler piping. and stock injectors. MAJOR weight reduction. and i forgot to mention my Fidanza flywheel too. i want to get a 2.5 because my test pipe is already 2.5, plus i'm gonna add in a cut out, so that'll help out a lot. i'm planning on seeing a low 12 second pass next spring after i make a long winter of upgrading. i want the 14b record:shhh:

when ur battling traction problems awd tends to make faster trap speeds, as many vetts as iv seen run one of them have ever ran a good time without wheel spin, in perfect conditions and in ideal circumstances 2wd would yeild better trap speeds then an awd with the same mods, but circumstances are rarly ideal, theres alot more to how fast a car is then trap speeds, just because he runs the same trap speed as a vette does not mean he has anywhere near as much hp, espicaly if his weight reduction is anywhere near as major as he makes it out to be
and yes, 110%, iv seen many dataloggers read higher then 100% on stock injectors, seems weird but iv seen as high as 112%, dont know y it sometimes goes past 100
and as i said, stock injectors are only good for so much, with ur mods id say u have them about maxed out, which would give u about 250whp, which is around 300 at the crank
and it shouldnt be too hard to run a low 12, if u ran 12.6 on stock 450s then putting some 550s or 660s and a fuel pump in there should bring u down to low 12s, but then again if ur already at 23 psi then u dont have top much room to upthe boost, u might need some more parts to squeeze that extra power out to need those bigger injectors

Cirus: Last warning...

Use proper grammar and spelling in your posts. Avoid using slang.

Thanks.

There is so much mis-information this thread, it is pretty scary… I was going to cut and paste it but then gave up because there was just too much of it…

Trap speed is a better indicator of HP simply because it is not really effected by bad driving. Screwing up the launch and missing early gears will have very little effect on the trap speed, while making your ET much slower. However missing 3-4 shift will totally mess up your trap speed, while 1-2 will barely be noticable.

But if you have a clean run with a good launch, both the trap speed and ET horsepower calculators should show very similar numbers. As a matter of fact, that is how you can tell if your driving is any good.

Second, RWD does NOT add much frictional losses. FWD cars have higher traps because they are lighter (better hp/weight ratio) and because they tend to have slower launches (slower launches tend to give you slightly higher traps and much lower ETs).

>i'm planning on seeing a low 12 second pass next spring after i make a long
>winter of upgrading. i want the 14b record

Low 12’s are not going to be enough :).

Leon
RR

as i said before, 12.52 is the fastest 2g 14b pass that i've found. 11's shouldn't bee too far off.

Originally posted by owndjoo
i have a '95 AWD talon, safc,avcr(23ish psi), ported 14b, stock smic, stock downpipe, o2 dump, 2.5" test pipe, rps stage 3 6 puck,
I would like to correct that term that you made up RPS "Stage 3", that is also known as a Max Pressure Plate. Which is a progressive dual diaphram spring clutch. With a 6 Puck Sprung Hub which is also modified with a higher spring rate in the spring pack.

Originally posted by Cirus_93TSI
having awd would mean it would take les hp to run that trap speed, and a vette is heavier then a dsm(

c5's are all fiberglass and weight 3150 whats a awd dsm weigh?

You are probably making about 270-280 whp. I make/made only 270 whp on my 14b, ran a 12.679 at 107.9 at the shootout and am very close to full weight. You are at most 100 lbs heavier but also was a mph slower than my mph so I'd say you're probably making similar power to my 14b.

Originally posted by TurboSpoolinIns
You are probably making about 270-280 whp. I make/made only 270 whp on my 14b, ran a 12.679 at 107.9 at the shootout and am very close to full weight. You are at most 100 lbs heavier but also was a mph slower than my mph so I'd say you're probably making similar power to my 14b.

His car's gutted pretty good. I know a stock 1g is slightly lighter than a 2g but he's dropped a good 300 pounds out of there if I had to guess.

Originally posted by owndjoo
i went a 12.677 @ 106.28 at the shootout mid day 2500ish corrected alt., and 80+ degrees.

First off is the 12.677 a corrected time? Because the corrections I have seen used for time generally WAY off.

What did you run at the shootout? Was it 12.677 or did you run 13.1 and you corrected it to 12.677 with some type of calculation factor yourself?

Also why not post your timeslip so we can see all the numbers of the run, that will help us get a better idea of whats going on.

DSMJim:

Who on earth uses corrected times? I've never seen anyone I know use a correction. If you run a certain time, then that's what your time is - end of story. I think he's saying that he ran an actual 12.6 by the way. Yes you can say conditions were bad, but you don't just change your time because of it!!! You can do all the calculations in the world, but fact is fact. You can't calculate how good a driver is...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back