The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

How'd This Car Pass Tech...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSX

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 10, 2002
Old Pueblo, Arizona
Hey Guys,

Was looking at pictures from the NHRA Sport Compact Nationals @ Moroso Motorsports Park on April 2-3, 2005.

Found this picture while viewing Modified.com's site this evening:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

How in the world did this thing pass tech w/ no door handles? I think it could make an emergency rescue really interesting?

Just wondering if anyone else thought this was interesting as I've read threads in which shaving door handles was discussed and ultimately dismissed because forum members thought it would not pass tech.

Thanks,

The door handle is in the inside, If you look closely you can see the hole cut out in the Lexan on the drivers side where you reach through to pull the handle to open the door.

Funny Cars don't have handles. The entire car lifts up and they get out through the roof if there is an accident. I doubt that car had any problems passing tech. I also do not remember reading anything in the tech manuals about door handles being required.

Anyone else find it odd to have a wheelie bar on a FWD? WTF

TrystanGST said:
Anyone else find it odd to have a wheelie bar on a FWD? WTF

Not really. It will help keep the weight transfer to a minimum and help with the overall launch

That isn't a wheelie bar. It is called a traction bar. When the car accelerates it has weight transfer like any other car which lightens the load on the front wheels causing a loss of traction. So when the weight transfers to the back, it puts the traction bars on the ground which will stop the weight transfer and allow the front wheels to retain tractions throughout the pass.

owned...And I don't think thats a funny car either...Funny cars don't have body lines...That is probably a pro street RSX.

kilurv8 said:
That isn't a wheelie bar. It is called a traction bar. When the car accelerates it has weight transfer like any other car which lightens the load on the front wheels causing a loss of traction. So when the weight transfers to the back, it puts the traction bars on the ground which will stop the weight transfer and allow the front wheels to retain tractions throughout the pass.
Cheaters... :p

95RedRS said:
owned...And I don't think thats a funny car either...Funny cars don't have body lines...That is probably a pro street RSX.

No one said that it was a funny car, he was just saying that a funny car also doesn't have door handles. Owned. :rolleyes:

If you have ever been down to the staging lanes of an import event and see FWD cars with 'wheelie bars' you will notice the wheels are barely off the ground. As someone stated earlier, its to limit weight transfer and keep as much pressure on the front tires as possible.
A RWDs wheelie bar will be higher off the ground too allow for the front to lift and put most if not all of the weight on the rear tires, thus givign it more traction.
In the early stages of import racing, the wheelie bars on FWD cars used to touch the ground while just 'putting' around. They thought by havign the bar already on the ground would prevent the car from transfering weight at all. Now that they have tires that 'swell' and raise the front of the car, they need the 'wheelie bar' to be slightly off the ground to allow the front tires to 'swell up.'

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back