The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

How to Un-Rice a GST?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaysTsi

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 4, 2002
Charlotte, North_Carolina
My buddy bought a GST for a grand with 2 big problems.

1. It won't start, it just cliks so fast it's almost a buzzing noise.

2. One of the previous owners was retarded and liked the Fast and Furious.
We are talking a Red GST with white Rims, rusted lugnuts, White vinyl racing stipes, a GIANT GREDDY racing stiker, an Injen sticker (also too big), and he painted the sideskirts white. :dsm: :barf: :nono: :cry:

How can I help him fix it?

Also as a side note I've got an add up in WTT GST parts for my Protege check it out if you need a 2cnd more reliable car

My buddy bought a GST for a grand with 2 big problems.

1. It won't start, it just cliks so fast it's almost a buzzing noise.

2. One of the previous owners was retarded and liked the Fast and Furious.
We are talking a Red GST with white Rims, rusted lugnuts, White vinyl racing stipes, a GIANT GREDDY racing stiker, an Injen sticker (also too big), and he painted the sideskirts white. :dsm: :barf: :nono: :cry:

How can I help him fix it?

Really fast clicking....sounds almost like a dead battery. That would be too funny.

You might have to have to buy new lugnuts from mitsubishi. They're around 3.xx / lug x 16 lugs. Not fun. If you can, go to the junkyard and ask. They might be willing to give you a set for pretty damn cheap. If the rims are reasonable, you can repaint them for pretty cheap. If not, I have a set of 17'' ICWs with decent tires that Im willing to let go of for about $350. I dont live horribly far away either. All depends on your taste. I like stock better.

I'd go ahead and just repaint the entire car. Might as well.

Could also be a bad starter which isn't to hard to replace. And like RaysTsi said just paint the wheels you can get the paint from your trusty local parts store and you can get lugs there too. Use a hair dryer and remove the stickers and paint the side skirts and buff the whole car out.

just curious, but do you have any pictures of the car? I can't imagine what it looks like with random white painted stuff on the car.

And I agree with painting the rims, the process is pretty straight foward, and looks alright if you do the prep work. I had a friend jsut do it and they look pretty nice.

dont waste 3 dollars a lug nut, go to advance auto pick up lugs for 1.18 a piece and call it a day.

sounds like a battery, bring the old one into an advance auto and have them check it out to see if its dead, if its not the battery, bring in your starter. They will test both for free.

Then pick up some paint and sandpaper or any other tools for painting and get to work on fixing those rims. Pick up a screwdriver and a 10 and 12 mm socket set, pull off the sideskirts and go to your paint shop and have them sand it down and repaint. If the rest of the body is bad in terms of paint, consider a whole rejob done. Without the engine and door frames, it should be able to get a 2000 dollar job for a good one.

Oh come on you know we want to see some pictures of this!

9520g said:
Oh come on you know we want to see some pictures of this!

Times 15748345678044. I would like good laugh.

You should be banned for starting a thread like this and only posting up a description. :p

to get the vinyl off just use a heat gun (blow dryer will work too) and slowly heat+pull back the vinyl.
Once its all off, get a a clay bar kit (comes with claybar and detailing spray) and go over the whole car.. this should help get rid of the lines around where the vinyl was.
After give the car a nice wax and should look much better.

Ok you guys I think I'm going to be updating this thread for quite some time, pics will be up later tonight. :thumb:

GET THIS
The only thing keeping this car from running was that the starter was not properly connected, Last night I went downstairs to the garage felt around the starter and told Ian (the owner) "Hey man you should pull this starter off I dont think it's hooked up right" I didn't even see the starter I just felt it. And this morning he couldn't get it off (poor tool selection right now working on that) but he said the wiring was loose so he tightened it down and reinstalled the newly recharged battery (a batt charger is a must for DSM owners), and voila it runs. ROFL ROFL ROFL He bought a running (if fugly) 05 GST for 1000$ and he got it delivered a good 60 miles.ROFL

Once it was running the idle was kinda ruff, you know what I mean ;) and Ian was like hmm that needs to be fixed, so I bent over picked up a screwdriver adjusted the ICS screw and bam almost smooth and not stutering during idle any more:thumb:

I didn't realize it before but I am a DSM GOD!:rocks:

Cliff notes
1. In five minutes I diagnosed that the Starter was not properly connected
2. Once car ran I fixed idle in under 60seconds
3. I am DSM GOD:rocks:

well super buy for him then, Still waiting to see these pics though!

Ok you guys I think I'm going to be updating this thread for quite some time, pics will be up later tonight. :thumb:

GET THIS
The only thing keeping this car from running was that the starter was not properly connected, Last night I went downstairs to the garage felt around the starter and told Ian (the owner) "Hey man you should pull this starter off I dont think it's hooked up right" I didn't even see the starter I just felt it. And this morning he couldn't get it off (poor tool selection right now working on that) but he said the wiring was loose so he tightened it down and reinstalled the newly recharged battery (a batt charger is a must for DSM owners), and voila it runs. ROFL ROFL ROFL He bought a running (if fugly) 05 GST for 1000$ and he got it delivered a good 60 miles.ROFL

Once it was running the idle was kinda ruff, you know what I mean ;) and Ian was like hmm that needs to be fixed, so I bent over picked up a screwdriver adjusted the ICS screw and bam almost smooth and not stutering during idle any more:thumb:

I didn't realize it before but I am a DSM GOD!:rocks:

Cliff notes
1. In five minutes I diagnosed that the Starter was not properly connected
2. Once car ran I fixed idle in under 60seconds
3. I am DSM GOD:rocks:

Pics of the 05' GST;)

Did you remember to remove any datalogger and ground the idle set connector on the firewall before playing with the BISS? If not, godhood revoked. :D

And yes, we want pictures! I keep imagining worse and worse images... right now it's stuck on 'car painted with rattlecan and touched up with model paint, complete with rock chips all over the place'.

So is it illegal to bump a thread and ask for pictures of the riced gst? ROFL

Come on sir, my mind is wandering, I need to see this. Since joining this forum I haven't seen alot of riced eclipses, and seeing a post about one, well, this is the first one. I just have to see the pictures!!

desticker it
repaint or buy new sideskirts
lose the rusted lugs
clean the rims(leave them white) ive seen alot of badass red eclipses with white wheels

I wanna see this thing

though it can't be worse than the 3 tone GST my friend picked up that needed a alternator, new battery cables and a set of wheels and tires to get it home. $700

Eh, red/blue/black with white wheels is already overdone by Honda kids. Makes the damn thing look like a Matchbox car. But I guess if that's the look you're going for...

Gah I hate to say it but my car is Red with white side skirts.............. I got it like this and thats not all they vinyl painted the interior to match but only did the door panels...... :cry:

Thank god I am dropping my car off tomorrow to get it re-painted this week :thumb:

and were all left to ponder, what this thing really looks like. Hint hint* on the pics brother

loose the white rims, repaint the whole car, and start modding your $2000 or less 2g dsm. what a steal man. nice looking out.
typhoon

ps-get some pics

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back