The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

How to tell a 4g63

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Extremities

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 6, 2012
Wesley Chapel, Florida
I'm asking the forever long question. I've done my research and I've seen so many different answers. I'm confused.

What Eclipse models came with the 4g63 and how can you tell if thats what you have? People have said that the 4g63 intake is on the passenger side and the 420a is on the driver side. I've also seen that you can tell by the valve cover. I had a 98 spyder gs that I just got rid of and the intake was on the passenger side but I was told it was a 420a. Did the 4g63 come in a gs as non turbo or do I have to shell out the extra money for a gst?

I'm not asking about swapping, I already know that headache, just how to tell the difference and which models it came in.

You are a bit backwards.

4g63
Timing belt is on the driver side.
Intake is towards the firewall
1g the NT cars were 4g63
2g Turbo cars came with the 4g

420A
Timing belt on the passenger side
2g Non turbo cars came with this engine.
Coil pack is bolted to the VC

Second gens go like so:

RS, GS: Chrysler 420a engine
GS Spyder: 4g64 engine (non-turbo)
GS-T, GS-T Spyder, GS-X: 4g63 turbo.

The 4g63 and 4g64 have similar layouts, the 420a is "backwards" compared to the 4g's.

Ok, that pretty much clears it all up. So I am going to have to spend the extra money for a gst. Thanks guys.

Second gens go like so:

RS, GS: Chrysler 420a engine
GS Spyder: 4g64 engine (non-turbo)
GS-T, GS-T Spyder, GS-X: 4g63 turbo.

The 4g63 and 4g64 have similar layouts, the 420a is "backwards" compared to the 4g's.

I believe only the auto Spyders came with the 4G64, and it was a SOHC engine that doesn't really look like the turbo engines.

420a:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

4g63 Turbo

4g63 Non-Turbo

4g64

I like the pictures but you need a pic of the 1.8 also
And a tacky cut air-can. This is not my other car, but a pict I snitched off another site. I wouldn't be caught dead with that "spiderweb" of add-on wiring under the hood. That's asking for an fire to happen. But, the 4G37 is a very simple motor to work on .. doing belts where a 8yr old can do one on these things.

This motor can run forever if taken care of.

Owners have mentioned of over 400K miles on these things before it's time for just a simple ring and bearing job.

..and, its a motor that can be turboed quite easily with custom manifolds, 450 injectors (stock for these things are 240's), "Wally" 190, ECMLink, double head gaskets to lower compression, et.al. Nice thing is that these motors are long stroke motors, making them good as rally motors if someone wanted to turbo this motor. Reports that with the right conversion, almost 300BHP can come out of this little 1.8L where stock it's only 92hp.

Attachments

• 4G37.jpg
    4G37.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 2,543
I believe only the auto Spyders came with the 4G64, and it was a SOHC engine that doesn't really look like the turbo engines.

No, every Spyder GS came with the 4g64 SOHC engine. Manual and Auto. The valve cover is very different, but a quick glance around the engine bay shows just how similar they are to the 4g63 layout. The DOHC head will even bolt right on, which makes the engine look like a NT 4g63. (see pic)

OP- Hate to say it, but you sold a diamond in the rough. The 4g64 is a very strong and reliable engine in stock form. With an AWD and DOHC swap, along with a decent turbo setup and turbo ECU, you have a convertible that an equally modded hardtop can't touch.

Attachments

• 1gHead.jpg
    1gHead.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,464
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back