The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A How to take off 420a 2 piece intake manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here’s a guide on how to take off intake manifold 2 piece with out pulling the engine!

This is my first how to so please excuse me if I’m missing anything, ask me and I’ll be glad to inform if I can. You can attack from either on top of the engine bay or under the car. I did over the engine bay so yea it’s possible both ways.

Now before we start, it was much easier for me since I had pulled the exhaust manifold, radiator and valve cover off, you don’t need to but it will sure help since you can stand inside the engine bay. You can always lay on top of the engine bay if you’d like but I do recommend to at least take the valve cover off for a little more wiggle room. Let’s start

1. Step one is to remove any lines and hoses that are connected to the throttle body. Take the throttle body off the intake manifold. It should be 2 bolts across from each other. BE CAREFUL with the gasket inside, it can be very easy to break and you’ll have hard time finding a auto store that has a new gasket in stock. I don’t remember what size they are but it should be between 10-14mm. Just check with sockets.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

2. Once the throttle body is off you can disconnect all lines and hoses that are connected to the intake manifold and any wiring that is connected. If you plan on keeping the same hoses and wiring I suggest you be careful when taking off wiring, lines, and hoses.

#1-5 are what you need to take off and there should be 1 more hose across from #5 connecting to the valve cover. Take that one off as well but be careful to not break it.

3. Now that you have wiring, lines and hoses disconnected you can start to unbolt the manifold. I will show you the locations of each bolt that you need to take off the 1st piece of the manifold. Make sure to unbolt the 2 bolts holding the throttle cable . Should be next to the hose connecting to the valve cover, shown on top of pictures bolt 4 and 5. Those 2 bolts.

Now that you know where the 5 bolts are located, you can attack Bolt 1 and 3 from the corners, they aren’t to hard to remove if you get the right angle. Bolt 2 is a little tricky but if you stick your hand over the manifold in the middle you should be able to break it loose and unscrew it. It’s all about the right angles!
Now bolts 4 and 5 same thing, you can attack from the corners of bolt 1 and 3 and work your way to them. Don’t forget the bolt that’s shown in the last photo.

4. Now those should be all the bolts! And you can pull off the 1st piece of the intake manifold!

5. Now for the 2nd piece of the manifold.. This one was more tricky then the first. You can attack from under the car but you can also attack from the engine bay. Now step 1 is to remove the fuel rail. Very important that you make sure the fuel rail doesn’t have a lot of pressure because a little bit of gas will leak, so be ready with a towel/rag/bottle.
Remove the wiring harness on each fuel injector and once you have that off you can unbolt the 2 bolts holding the fuel rail.

Just look over the fuel rail, left side and right side and you will see these bolts. Once those are removed you can remove the fuel line, be ready to catch any leaking fuel from the fuel line and fuel rail.

Now that it’s removed you can just pop out the fuel injectors.

6. Now you will need to remove the vacuum box ( or whatever it’s called) right below the 2nd piece of the intake manifold. It will be 4 bolts and I will show you the locations. You will have to attack from an angle, it’ll be kinda tricky but it can be done. You will need extensions. The last 2 bolts shown in the last 2 photos will be below bolt 1 and 2 and will need an extension. They are 15MM bolts.

With those removed you can move the the box out of the way. There will be some lines on to them. I didn’t inspect where they go to so make sure you know where they are going to before you remove if you plan to put it back! Look under the car if you have to.

7. Now that the box is removed, you can remove the last few bolts on the manifold and then boom you took off both piece of manifold.

Remove these bolts and boom you just took off the intake manifold!

P.S. Please note this is not a perfect guide, I had trouble taking this off because I didn’t know the bolt location and I couldn’t find any information on how to take it off, this is just a rough idea on how to take it off.

When I was having trouble any information I could find helped a lot and most of this I had to figure out in my own so I only do this so others who may be in the same position as I was can at least get some useful information on how to remove both pieces if they needed to like how I needed to.

Hope this helped you out! :D

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back