The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

How to set base timing WITHOUT using a lower timing cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This will tell you how to set base timing without using a lower timing cover. I use this method because it is easier and my car didn't have timing covers when I bought it. This can be done on both 1G's and 2G's(if you set it up to be adjustable).

1. Start the engine and let it warm up completely.

2. Make sure all the accessories are turned off.

3. Now you must ground the timing. You can do this with dsmlink like I do if you have it. Or you can ground the test connector if you don't have dsmlink.

4. Now loosen the two cam sensor nuts so you will be able to rotate it.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

5. Hook up the timing light power leads to the battery terminals. Red to positive. Black to ground.

6. Now hook the timing light pickup to the number 1 spark plug wire.

7. If you have an adjustable timing light, set it to 5* advanced.

8. Point the timing light at the cam gears.

9. If your timing light is adjustable, turn the cam sensor until the inner cam gear marks line up as if you were putting the timing belt on.

10. If your timing light is not adjustable, turn the cam sensor until the marks line up as shown in this video.

11. Tighten the cam sensor back up once your timing is set.

12. Check timing again to make sure the cam sensor didn't rotate when you tightened it down.

13. Unground the timing.

14. Your timing is set.

A couple of notes.

1. You must have the top timing cover off, obviously.
2. If you use white out on the timing marks, it makes it easier to see.
3. This method is easier to do and more reliable than using the lower timing cover/ crank pulley. It is more reliable because, you don't have to worry if the crank pulley is starting to split. If you use the crank pulley and it is starting to split, your timing will show off. This way will ALWAYS be accurate with an adjustable timing light. It might be off without and adjustable timing light since you have to eyeball the marks.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back