The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G How to Remove Unorthodox Racing 1-Piece Water Pump Pulley?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El_Ryno

Probationary Member
Sep 21, 2020
Chicago, Illinois
Hi gents,

I'm trying to change the timing belt on my 1998 GSX and am stuck at the water pump pulley. Hoping someone might be able to offer a tip on how to remove the 1 piece unorthodox racing aluminum water pump pulley pictured. I've got the driver side motor mount removed, and have the engine jacked up by the oil pan as far as it will go but still not enough space to get it out. Would removing either the bottom-front or passenger side engine mount allow for any more vertical lift on the engine? If so, is this safe to do with the engine lifted just by the oil pan alone?

Thank you in advance!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Bummer. What happens if you lower the engine as far as possible? Would you have enough room to take it out from the bottom?

Thanks for the prompt response @Mello :)

I guess that would involve removing the entire lower cross-member and engine mount correct?

Edit- checked and no way to lower the engine enough to get the water pump pulley out through the bottom :-\

Last edited:
@dwb thanks for the prompt response :)

Yes, correct I'm replacing the water pump also. However, I don't think I can get to the bottom water pump bolt without removing the timing belt tensioner, and the rear water pump bolt seems to be behind the timing belt tensioner pulley... so it's looking like those would have to come off first correct?

I'd be worried about denting or crushing the oil pan. I'm also guessing you still have all the driveline parts attached, which adds additional weight to the engine if you take that right mount off.

Why not just take all the timing components off - tensioner/arm, pullies, belt etc. and then see if you can get the water pump bolts out? It might be tight behind the WP pulley but I believe it can be done with a box end wrench rather than a socket.

@dwb thanks again! Removing the camshaft timing components seems like the next best course of action. I suppose I should make sure all of the timing marks are lined up before doing this correct?

@DSMPT Thanks for the tip! I'm definitely replacing the tensioner pulley This would explain why the timing belt is riding on the inside edge of the camshaft sprockets.

Removing the water pump with the pulley floating around like that is probably your best bet. Anyway you try is going to be a pain but looks like you don't have many options. I would toss that one piece pulley and go back to OEM.

Also, I would set all the timing marks proper & avoid having to rotate the crank too much so piston valve contact isn't possible.

Removing the water pump with the pulley floating around like that is probably your best bet. Anyway you try is going to be a pain but looks like you don't have many options. I would toss that one piece pulley and go back to OEM.

Also, I would set all the timing marks proper & avoid having to rotate the crank too much so piston valve contact isn't possible.
Thanks for your expert advice @Mello!
I was able to finally get that sucker out by first removing all of the camshaft timing pulleys and belt (after lining up all of the timing marks). No idea how I'm going to get the new water pump gasket to stay on while I wrestle it back in, but maybe if I can remove the engine mount it will be a little easier.
In the photo it looks like there is only 4 bolts connecting the engine mount to the block. If I remove those 4 bolts will the driver-side engine mount come off?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back