The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

How to remove rust on inside of valve cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IIv SHaDoW vII

15+ Year Contributor
May 8, 2007
Topeka, Kansas
Recently bought a really nice looking powdercoated valve cover and the previous owner failed to mention that the inside had a good amount of surface rust.. There is rust all over the inside of the cover and I was wondering if cleaning it is possible.

I did some preliminary searches regarding this and found some threads about people using steel wool..

Sand paper or steel wool. But I'm concerned that the rust might be in the baffles as well. I would flush it with a cleaning agent or maybe even a mild solvent just to get any loose rust out of it.

definitly sand blasting would do the trick. i have a machine shop in my garage so mostly everything i need done i can do in there.if you were closer id say come on by but your a little far hahha

Sand blasting would only be a good idea if you plan on removing the baffling and replacing it with an aluminum unit.

This.

Blasting without removing the baffles, is a big no no. Theres a strong chance you won't get all of the media out of it, and it could ruin your motor.

Yes thats true about getting it clean, i never did that only the outside, steel wool depending on how much rust, and how much time you want to scrape. Or find another vc, if your really concerned about rust.

Post a picture so we can see how bad it is and give you a good answer.

I would not use steel wool. That is asking for metal fibers to fall in the baffles and then find there way elsewhere.
Media blasting a valve cover baffle while installed would be just plan dumb. You cannot. And I mean cannot get all the media out of the baffles once it gets in there.

I would like to know what kind of resolution there is to this. I sent mine off to get powder coated and it looks amazing on the outside, however, the underside just has light surface rust. I just wanna find out if 1. there is a way to clean it properly without removing the baffle and without doing damage to my fresh p/c job, 2. what would I use to flush it out? I can post pictures, but i need a moment to upload them first.

guys sorry for the interrumption, wish to ask if anybody knows a tutorial with pics on how to sand and polish our 2gbs valve covers in order to get them as bright as possible!! Can it be done with the valve in the engine?thanks

I would remove it and follow a video of youtube on polishing, never saw one for dsm valve cover specificially. Even books show how to clean and polish metal.

I sand blast mine and clean it really well.
...and if I recall, you also sent me a turbo a while ago that was full of sand or glass media which had a scored shaft and journals as a result.

This is every reason in the world that no internal engine part should ever be blasted.

You can use a pickle bath (google it) solution to get it clean also.
But not real friendly to other coated/treated surfaces.

Only thing is you need to coat it with something, the motor will see condensation in the valve cover occasionally.
Enough to promote it rusting again.

I've been told by machinist's that round steel shot is the best to use on internals because it doesn't crush and will come out a lot easier. I personally haven't used it though.

I would remove it and follow a video of youtube on polishing, never saw one for dsm valve cover specificially. Even books show how to clean and polish metal.

but im not mechanic, so.... if i remove it... i know nothing about its bolts pressure and what about the gasket...

there is no video about polishing valve 2gs.. Everyone seems to paint them, doesnt anyone like the ide of having super bright valve cover in there engine room?

so here's the top:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

and here's the underside:

Its not too bad, i just wanna get rid of the brown in there without possibly harming the paint and/or components after i install it.

That almost just looks like some I don't wanna say (burnt oil), But like darkened oil. If I remember correctly, Mine had some oil type stains on it as well. I can't really tell from the pic, Hard for me to see. Bad eyes ya know.

Jayson

That almost just looks like some I don't wanna say (burnt oil), But like darkened oil. If I remember correctly, Mine had some oil type stains on it as well. I can't really tell from the pic, Hard for me to see. Bad eyes ya know.

Jayson

There are some oil spots on there, but fortunately its not mine. I bought it from another on here. The light brown residue is mainly what concerns me since it seems to come off rather easy with my finger or paper towel.

Im headed out to look for some type of foaming cleaner that I can just spray in there, let soak and then wash out with water until clean. If that doesnt work, I'll look into soda blasting as recommended above.

That honestly looks like burnt oil film which has resulted from years and years petroleum-based oil byproducts burning and sticking to the underside of the cover. Think of it as tar inside a smoker's lungs. This is common on many valve covers.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back