The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

How to remove hatch glass? 97 gsx

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattn

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 24, 2002
FloridaUS
Somebody broke the back hatch glass, and the passenger window on my 97 GSX. I found some glass online but am unsure of whether it will fit my car or not.. is anyone aware of whether or not the glass from a 99 GS will fit my 97 GSX? They look the same to me, but I'd just like to make sure.. thanks for any help :)

yeah just for your info evrything on the gsx body is gonna swap with a gs or rs and vise versa. Except engine of course.

And I don't know what if any difference you might find in the carrier for the glass between hand-crank and power windows, but the glass itself should be the same. You shouldn't have to resort to online, local junkers should be able to stir up the glass for you.

Somebody broke my back window, now I need to get the old glass out, from the molding to replace the glass. How do I go about doing this? Break the molding or? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

you should be able to remove the gasket around the glass then cut the eurathane that holds the glass in with some piano wire (probably easiest with 2 people if the hatch is on the car, or use an air knife.... when you are done make sure you cut away the old seal as much as you can and then get what is left as level as possible, this allows the new glass lay in easier. You may be able to cut it with a box knife....be careful though. If this sounds to complicated just call the mobile glass guys it will take them less then 45 min remove and replace the old glass. and it doesn't cost that much if you have replacement glass already

How do I take out the glass in the hatch? Do I just run something around under the little rubber piece to get it loose, then run around the glass with something to cut glue loose, then try to push it out from underneath?

I'm ready to do this now, so I'm going to go get a bite to eat while waiting for a response...

Thanks

If you need to ask how to do this you shouldn't be doing it. Belive it or not the window is a critical part for how your car would smash if you were in a accident. If you need a new window you would be better off getting a whole hatch from a junkyard or paying someone to replace the window.

Dude, I just want to get the window out because my granpa said that it would be best if it came out, and he is a good auto body guy and is helping me on my car (though he's not here now... he will be helping later)

So, how do I get it out without breaking it? Do I just keep trying to cut the glue under it or what?

thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back