The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

How to rebuild and modify a power steering pump

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It was time to rebuild my power steering pump, and I also wanted to modify it to increase steering response during high-rpm cornering. The rebuild is really simple and inexpensive, and like most things it just requires some patience and attention to detail. Due to the lack of any comprehensive information on the subject other than a few sparse pages, I decided to write this tech article for future reference.

Note: This article assumes the pump is on the bench and ready to be taken apart. Refer to a service manual for information on how to remove the PS pump from the car.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

What you will need

• A Mitsubishi PS seal kit, part # MR244546 (around $20-$30 from a dealer).
  • 10mm, 12mm, 17mm, and 19mm sockets or wrenches. You'll also need a large crescent wrench to remove the flow control valve (it's something around 26mm or larger, which I don't have).
  • A torque wrench
  • A small diameter phillips screwdriver (3/16" shaft or less).
  • A flat blade screwdriver
  • A dental pick or similar instrument for removing o-rings
  • A can of carb cleaner or similar
  • A hammer
  • Various sockets to use as make-shift tools (for example, to install the front seal).
  • Some Dexron or Dexron II automatic transmission fluid (the factory manual specifies MOPAR ATF PLUS (Automatic Transmission Fluid Type 7176).
  • Needle-nose pliers (circlip pliers are helpful, but not absolutely necessary)
  • Shop rags or paper towels for cleaning up spilled fluid.
  • A factory service manual is highly recommended
Note: The ten replacement o-rings are supposed to be color coded, but the ones in my seal kit were not. It took a bit of detective work to figure out which ones go where, but if you are careful and compare them one at a time, it isn't really difficult. Leave the o-rings in place wherever possible until reassembly, or match them up with the ones from the kit with some notes as you remove them. I'll list the proper sizes (ID x thickness) highlighted in red, in the steps below where appropriate.

Dissasembly

1. Remove the return hose nipple (suction connector), pressure switch, and flow control valve assembly from the pump. Sitting under the pressure switch plug is a small spring and plunger, and a small piston rod. Once the plug is unscrewed (slowly to relieve the spring pressure), carefully tip the pump over and these pieces should fall out. Also note the o-ring behind the suction connector plate, 17.8mm x 2.4mm.

The flow control valve assembly is made up of the upper connector (actually two parts), a spring, and the lower valve itself. We will be separating the upper connector and replacing the o-rings later, but for now the entire assembly can be removed. Once the connector is unscrewed, tip the pump and the spring and valve should slide out.

For some reason, I left the pressure switch plunger out of the picture below. It should be sitting between the spring and small piston rod at the top right. You can see it's actual location in the last assembly pic in the article.

2. With the pump sitting face down on the pulley, remove the four bolts and pull the pump cover straight off, and then remove the cam ring. The cam ring may stick to the cover when you remove it, so be prepared for that. If it does, simply pull it loose from the cover and set them both aside (the cover has two guide pins that the cam ring sits on). If it doesn't stick, it will just be sitting in the housing and can be lifted out. Remove the odd-shaped o-ring between the cover and pump body.

3. Once the cam ring is removed, you will see the rotor and ten small vanes. Some of the vanes may be sitting partially out of the rotor...as the pump spins, these small vanes are thrown outwards by centifugal force against the cam ring, and are what actually pumps the fluid.

Note: If you look closely, the vanes have one end that is flat, and one end that is rounded. This is important, because they must go back in with the rounded end facing outwards towards the cam ring.

The FSM states that there should be no more than .06mm (.0024") of gap between the vanes and rotor slots. According to the manual, Mitsu offers an "oil pump cartridge kit" which includes the cam ring, rotor, vanes, and snap ring. Check with your local dealer for availability and part number for this kit if your's are worn and out of spec. (Apparently, they offer a pulley and shaft kit as well).

The rotor assembly is held in place by a small snap ring on the pump shaft, which needs to be removed. Use some needle nose or circlip pliers to spread the ring enough to get a pick or screwdriver under it, and then carefully pry it off. It will be replaced with a new one from the kit, so it doesn't matter what shape it's in once it's removed.

4. With the snap ring removed, you can lift out the rotor, vanes, and the side plate that sits under the rotor. I cupped my hand over the shaft end, and flipped the pump upside down while holding the vanes in place, but you may want to just slide everything up and off the shaft. Be careful to not lose the vanes...they will just fall out of the rotor slots.

Once the rotor and side plate are out, you can remove the pulley and shaft assembly from the front of the pump housing. You may need to lightly tap the end of the shaft with a plastic or rubber hammer if it doesn't slide out easily.

You'll find two o-rings underneath the side plate; one inside the shaft bore, and a larger one in a groove around the outside edge. (These may have stayed in the pump housing when you removed the side plate). The sizes are 16.8mm x 2.4mm and 47.2mm x 24mm.

The picture below shows the back of the side plate and the outer o-ring; the rotor and vanes are underneath it, resting in my palm.

5. Flip the housing over, and use a flat blade screwdriver to carefully pry out the front seal. Check the rest of the housing for any remaining o-rings, and remove them. Match them up with their new counterparts from the kit as you do so, but don't mix them up with the new ones!

Cleaning and Painting

After removing all the o-rings from the housing, clean it really well with some carb cleaner or something similar and let it dry. Be sure that everything has been removed so no parts get lost, particularly the small piston rod that sits behind the pressure switch. Also be sure to clean and inspect all the individual pieces before reassembly.

Although not really necessary, I decided to blast and paint my PS pump components since it was going back on a brand new build. I first masked all the openings on the housing really well with 3 layers of masking tape and then blasted it with 80 grit glass beads. I sprayed the pulley with gloss back engine paint after covering the shaft with some rubber hose, and painted the return hose braket and rear cover with semi-flat black engine paint.

Flow Control Valve Modification

The spacers mentioned in this section only need to be added if you want to modify the pump to eliminate the high-RPM cut out that these cars have. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! Otherwise, you can skip to the last step and just replace the four o-rings.

Below is a bit of history about the high-RPM steering cutout issue, taken from the VFAQ article:

The idea:

Speed sensitive steering is a feature available on many different cars. Its job is to give the car a more stable and heavy feel at highway speeds, and to make the car less prone to sudden changes in steering angle at speeds where such a move would be dangerous. It also allows more steering assist at low speeds for parking maneuvers.

The Problem:

Speed sensitive steering is great, but that's not what our 2L (Turbo & NA) DSMs are equipped with. We have RPM sensitive steering, which acts somewhat the same. It will decrease the steering boost at highway speeds because the engine is turning 3500-4000 RPM, but unfortunately it severely cuts the steering boost in the upper-rev range, regardless of what gear the car is in. 6000 RPM through an auto-x slalom results in minimal steering assist, followed by a sudden lack of any assist. Not exactly what an auto-x driver is looking for.

The Solution:

The steering assist reduction is caused by a valve in the power steering pump itself. We will be adding a spacer to preload the spring inside the small assist varying valve that closes at high RPM. This will stop it from restricting the flow of PS fluid out of the pump at high RPMs, but will not raise the maximum pressure of the fliud leaving the pump.

Some people have in the past shimmed the flow bypass valve in the pump. This is a separate assembly that sits below the assist varying valve. This resulted in more steering assist at high speeds, but accomplished this in a bad way. The flow bypass valve is there to relieve the high pressure created when the pump spins faster (high RPMs) and the flow exceeds that which is needed by the power steering system. If you shim this valve the fluid has nowhere else to go, and its pressure will increase far beyond the factory levels. I tried this, but after a 15 minute drive at moderate speed my fluid boiled and I lost steering assist. Not good.

So, we are going to preload the spring inside the flow control valve connector.

1. Remove the top part of the connector from the bottom part. I put the connector in a vise and used a phillips screwdriver through the fluid port. The top part unscrews CCW like a normal bolt, but it may be tight.

2. Place the lower part of the connector in a large deep socket (or something similar; the taller the better) supported on its outside diameter, and make sure the small dark colored cap at the very bottom is not hitting anything. Put a long thin phillips screwdriver through the threaded hole in the top until it hits the bottom cap - make sure it goes all the way down and is centered. Tap the screwdriver handle gently with a hammer until the cap pops out. (You may have to tap a little harder, but take your time so as not to knock the cap into your bench).

3. Once the cap is off, you can remove the spring and plunger.

We will be putting our spacer(s) in the base of the plunger, under the spring. This will preload the spring, making it more difficult to compress as the high-RPM pressure increases. For mine, I used two small lock washers that I flattened and then spread open slightly to fit the bore a little better. My total thickness ended up being 2.4mm, compared to the 3.5mm mentioned in the VFAQ. I'll post back with results once they are available.

4. After cleaning and inspecting the parts, put the plunger back into the lower connector, put the spacers into the plunger, and then insert the spring. Be sure that the spring is sitting flush and can be compressed evenly. Find a small socket that will slip over the "nozzle" on the cap, and use a vise to press the cap back into the connector. The cap should bottom out just slightly past the point of being flush with the bottom of the housing.

5. Replace the o-rings on both the upper connector half and the lower part, and screw them back together. Be sure to use some fluid on the o-rings as a lubricant. From top to bottom (outside the pump to inside), the flow control valve o-ring sizes are 11mm x 1.9mm, 13mm x 1.9mm, 17.8mm x 2.4mm, and 13.5mm x 1.5mm.

That's it...you can now set the flow control valve assembly aside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pressure Switch Seals

There are two o-rings in the pressure switch plug assembly that need to be replaced. One is obvious; it's the outside seal that sits between the plug and pump housing. The other one is small and sits between the two insulators inside the switch. The sizes of these o-rings are 13mm x 1.9mm and 3.8mm x 1.9mm.

1. The plug assembly is held together by a tiny snap ring (c-clip). To get to the inner o-ring, remove the snap ring and washer...the terminal and insulators can then be removed from the backside of the plug.

Here is the entire pressure switch after disassembly. (Technically speaking... the spring, plunger, and piston rod at the top of the picture aren't really part of the plug assembly, but sit behind it in the pump housing). Notice that I didn't bother removing one of the insulators from the terminal.

2. After cleaning/inspecting the parts, replace the small o-ring and reassemble everything in the reverse order.

Note: Getting the small c-clip back on with a fresh o-ring can be a bit tedious. I used a pair of curved needle nose pliers to press down on the washer while I pressed the c-clip on with a screwdriver. I supported the plug on a socket that slipped up inside it, against the back of the terminal.

Assembly

Once everything is cleaned up and the subassemblies have been rebuilt, it's time to put it back together.

1. Using an appropriately sized socket and a hammer, carefully tap the front seal into the pump housing. As with all seals of this type, work slowly and make sure it stays flat and seats properly.

2. Lubricate the two lower o-rings on the flow control valve connector and insert it into the pump housing, making sure that the spring and valve are correctly installed below it. Tighten the connector to 36-51 ft. lbs.

I didn't have a socket to fit it, so I used a large crescent wrench and a best guess to get to around 40 ft. lbs.

3. After lubricating the shaft and front seal, slip the shaft and pulley into the housing and place the pump face down on the pulley.

4. Using some fluid as a lubricant, install the inner and outer o-rings on the bottom of the side plate (or in the pump housing), and press the side plate into place. There is a dowel pin hole on the side plate, and a mating dowel pin in the housing. You may need to rock it back and forth a bit and apply some pressure to get it to sit down over the new o-rings.

Note: My housing didn't have the dowel pin; just a place where one should be. In fact, it looked like it had been ground off at some point. The side plate can still be properly located though even without the pin, as it is also held in place by the locating pins on the rear cover. Since my PS pump worked just fine like this before the rebuild, I assume it will again :)

To make sure you have the side plate oriented correctly in the pump housing if the pin is missing:

a). Place the side plate so that it's dowel pin alignment hole is opposite the small oil hole in the housing. With the pump's oil return oriented towards the top, the side plate alignment hole should be underneath at the lower left, and the alignment holes for the cover pins should be at the upper left and lower right. It should look like the picture below (but without the rotor and vanes in place yet).

b). temporarily hold the rear cover in place and make sure that it's two pins will slip down into the holes on the side plate.

The picture below shows how the side plate should be sitting in the housing.

5. Coat the top of the side plate and the shaft splines with some fluid, and then install the rotor onto the shaft. The rotor has a small punch mark at the outside edge, which should be facing up towards the rear cover. (You should also notice a small chamfer on the inside bore which is on the same side as the punch mark).

6. Once the rotor is in place, install the new snap ring from the kit. Slide the ring down over the end of the shaft as far as it will go, and then using a socket that will slip over the shaft but not the ring, lightly tap it down with a hammer until it snaps into place. Once it's seated in it's groove, lift up on the rotor to verify that the snap ring sits in the chamfer of the rotor's inside bore.

7. Lubricate the inside of the cam ring and drop it into place, with the punch mark on it's face facing downwards towards the pulley. There are two alignment holes in it that should line up with the alignment holes in the side plate below the rotor.

8. Lubricate and install the vanes, making sure that the rounded end of each vane faces outwards towards the cam ring.

9. Using some fluid as a lubricant, install the pump cover o-ring into the slot in the pump housing, and set the cover into place. Lift upwards on the pump housing to pull it towards the cover; you should then be able to wiggle the cover a little until it's guide pins slip through the cam ring and side plate, and it rests against the seal. Install and tighten the four rear bolts to 13-16 ft. lbs.

10. Using some fluid, install the pressure switch's piston rod, plunger, and spring into the pump housing (be sure to install the spring with the large end towards the plug). Lubricate the outer plug o-ring and install the plug, and tighten to 18-22 ft. lbs.

11. Lubricate and install the return connector o-ring, and then attach the return connector. Tighten the bolts to only 4-7 ft. lbs. (use some blue Loctite and don't over-tighten them!)

And there ya have it; a fresh PS pump for around $25 and a couple hours of your time ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple additions to this well written post:

On my pump, the rotor had major suction to the plate. It turned quite freely, but would not lift off. You couldn't lift the rotor out and keep all the vanes neatly in the rotor. And of course you don't want to scratch it with metal pry tools either.

Getting the C clip off for me was a challenge. It did not just pry up with a screwdriver or an awl or a sharp pointed pick. Not only did it take SMALL needle nose, it took my very smallest tipped pair (hardly ever use them as they are so fine and springy, but once in a while they are a godsend) Place the tips into the groove against the clip edges and reverse squeeze.

Note the pin sized dimples in the cam housing and the rotor, the FSM tells you that matters which face is up. Looks identical to me though.

Once you spread the clip with one hand, insert a teeny screwdriver in behind the clip. Now you can release the needle nose. With the clip held out with one screwdriver, pry one end up with a second screwdriver.

Great write up. I just completed this and ran into a problem where the back cover would not fit flush to the case and left a small gap. Also it was too hard to spin. I bought a 2nd rebuild kit (sunsong) and finally realised that the shaft snap ring in the first kit (Gates) was slightly thicker and therefore would not retract into the small chamfer of the rotor. Yes the rotor dimple or dot indicates the side with the chamfer and must be pointing up. After it all fit well and turned freely. Reuse the original snap ring or avoid the Gates rebuild kit.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back