The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

How to Polish your Tranny without TOO much work.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is a How-to that describes a way you can totally clean and polish your tranny in about 3-4 hours, this is not a compete polishing job, it involves no sanding or removing of any of casting or pitting marks, this is simply to clean the tranny in a very detailed way and make it nice and shiny.

You will need:

Dremel or other rotary tool with a flex attachment (could be done without flex?)
a small plastic bristle brush and an assortment and steel brushes for the dremel
degreaser
aluminum polish
steel or brass hand held parts clean brush (I used toothbrush size)
some varying size polishing bits for the dremel.

First start off with some degreaser and the hose, spray off all the big time gunk and then start with a brass or steel bristle parts cleaning brush and the desgreaser getting all the easy to access areas, here's a pic with the left side of the tranny degreased and steel brushed, the bellhousing hasn't been cleaned yet.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Starting to look a lot better already hey? Now you won't be able to reach into many of the little nooks and crannies in there, that's where the dremel comes in with this small plastic bristle brush.

And here's a pic cleaning in the corners with the brush on the dremel with the degreaser.

Once you've got it totally clean we move onto these steel brushes seen here.

now I woudln't bother with the straight one, it likes to dig in, the cup is the most useful by far, and the small brush for the hardest to reach areas. These things aren't cheap, but get dremel brand, the others fall apart almost instantly, I used 4 cups and 1 small brush to do the whole thing.

In the picture bellow you can see the area I've done with the cup brush, now it's starting to look pretty good.

Now go around the whole tranny removing all the scaling and oxidization as seen here.

Now you should have something like this.

Now I really like what I see..notice how I didn't bother to do the area underneith the tranny mount..

Now there is one more step, you take your polishing bit (which also come in different sizes to get into different areas) and start going to town with your aluminum polish.. now this thing is gonna shine.

And the final product:

Hope you enjoyed, now make those trannies twinkle!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back