The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G How to make more power from 1991 NT Eagle Talon

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleTalon1991

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 1, 2005
Traverse City, Michigan
Hey I am 16 so i cant even afford the insurance on a TSi talon so i ended up with the non turbo. Besides adding a new muffler and a cool intake system whats a good way to rack up the horse power with out "turboing" it?

Jeff

There's actually an entire forum dedicated to N/T DSM's right here on the site.

To answer your question though, not much can be done to really crank out horsepower on the n/t cars. Its similar to building any other NA car such as a honda, acura, etc. Intake, headers, and exhaust may give you 20 whp'ish depending on the quality of parts etc.

The only fast non-turbo'd dsm were turbo'd (if that makes any sense)

I wouldn't throw too much money at a n/t when the money could go towards the purchase of a turbo motor. The bennifits of throwing a turbo motor in your car would be that the VIN still says it's a n/t but the downside is that it's FWD. Check your local junkyards. In the meantime, punch out the cat, get a stock exhaust off a turbo car and make a cheap CAI.

well you could break 200HP with headers, exuast, high flow cat, intake, underpully's, injectors, fuel rail, clutch, ignition, spark plugs and wires, cams, and cam gears just to name a few! you would probibly with all those mods get like 250HP you still wouldnt keep up with the turbos real well because they would start spooling boost on you and take off but you could still take out hondas and junk. most of these parts can be found at www.mach1car.com it would cost a lot(like a grand unless you did all the work and even then it would be like $700) but the N/T tuning world has yet to be fully explored so try it out if you want :thumb: :talon:

ok first off you would have to be spraying to hit 250 whp and i dont know if 200 whp is acurate on those mods i would say less than 200 we shall find out when i dyno my car i got every thign there but header but will have that soon. and 700 bucks wouldnt get you all those parts either unless you went with stock turbo cam a gst exahust. i have over $1100 worth of parts in my car right now i believe and i installed all of it myself. not to get you down its great ahvin my nt i get alot of crap for it but its great and i love working on it. i can keep up with fwd dsms at the track and hopefulyl once i get traction ill be in the mid 9's (1/8 mile). welcome to teh dsm community. :laser:

Ya thats another thing, traction, good tires are a must! plus a good clutch and flywheel, you can take a flywheel off a turbo FWD and use it, plus ya a turbo's cams work great but if you got the money go for the HKS's they are the best, i also plan to do a AWD conversion to my N/T since the 4G63N/T and the 4G63T are basicily the same motor you can drop one on a AWD tranny. Im going to do this as soon as i can find a AWD shell for a decent price, many people claim that this actually slows you down but i talked to a guy who had one and he said you couldent tell i difference speed wise between a FWD N/T and a AWD N/T but he said the launch off the line is crazy! :thumb: so im going to do that and most of the mods i listed above and i'm shooting for 180-190 HP, 200 is hopeful but i doubt i can hit the big 2 without incresing displacment and i dont really wanna do that! OMG

Mike Marnik said:
you have to use the turbo fwd tranny and clutch if you want to use the fly wheel it bigger than the nt and wont fit do alittle more research :laser:

No :nono: im pretty sure if you get a turbo clutch and flywheel you can put them in a N/T tranny, in fact i think many people have done this because of then wider gear ratio's in the N/T tranny :thumb: :talon: :laser:

i know for a fact as i have herd it many times in the drivetrain fourm that the clutch and flywheel in the turbo car ar bigger than the n/t. But yes there are people with fwd turbo dsms running hte nt trannyn but they are running the clutch and fly wheel as well. they do make the same highperformance clutches for the nt as they do the turbo.

spocks90talon said:
well you could break 200HP with headers, exuast, high flow cat, intake, underpully's, injectors, fuel rail, clutch, ignition, spark plugs and wires, cams, and cam gears just to name a few! you would probibly with all those mods get like 250HP you still wouldnt keep up with the turbos real well because they would start spooling boost on you and take off but you could still take out hondas and junk. most of these parts can be found at www.mach1car.com it would cost a lot(like a grand unless you did all the work and even then it would be like $700) but the N/T tuning world has yet to be fully explored so try it out if you want :thumb: :talon:
Totally wrong info. Don't spread misinformation and get a newbies head in the clouds. Unless you spray you'll never see close to those hp numbers. Injectors? FUEL rail?! Take terific181's advice and search a little bit on this subject, then search some more. It can open your eyes.
For what it is worth I have both a 97 n/t and a 94 AWD turbo. I love both of them and they are both quick in their respective categories. But you can't compare the n/t to the turbo. An apple does not look or taste the same as a bannana.
MB

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back