The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

how to get back money for paying for school

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1996TalonEsi

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 25, 2003
TennesseeUS
ok, i got this thing in the mail today from my college, it had the amount of my tuition, and the amount of the scholarships I got. the tuition was more than the scholarship amount, so technically I "paid" some of the tuition. I was wondering if theres anything I could do to get money back from taxes? I made like 7,000$ working part time this past year, and last year I got back all of the federal income tax they took out. I was searching and I came across this

These days, college students (or parents paying college tuition) are getting a little help from the government in the form of credits and deductions. While there are three major ones, students (or their parents) get to select only one per student. And whoever claims the student as a dependent is the one who is eligible for the credit.
Pick the one that best suits your family and situation:

Hope Scholarship Credit: Gives you a tax credit for up to 100% of your first $1,000 in tuition and fees and up to 50% for the second $1,000. The maximum credit is $1,500 and it applies to the first two years of college only.

heres the link
http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Taxes/P69845.asp?Printer

I received the Tennessee Hope Scholarship, and what does a tax credit do?

Sorry for being so long, any help to help this broke college kid out is appreciated

It has to do with your taxes. I get the full amount(last year of this :mad: ) It helps with deductions but not really a refund.

my wife goes to community college and what ever she pays out of pocket she gets about 80%-90% back, its been like that for the past two years.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back