The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

How To Fluid Test a 4G63 Cylinder Head

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BogusSVO

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 1, 2009
Pensacola, Florida
How to fluid test a 4G63 Head

This is a simple and quick way to check for seat and valve seal.

First clean the head by the method of your choosing.

Remove the cams and fLOLlowers so the valves are fully closed.

Once the head is cleaned, blow the runners out with compressed air to remove any carbon, oil or crud that can give a "false" seal.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Next lay the head with the runners up, and the valves facing you. I am starting on the intake side.

Now get a jug of fluid, I am using water.

Now here is the hard part..... Pour the fluid in the runners, one at a time.

Now that all four runners are filled with fluid.

Now look at the valves in the combustion chamber, no fluid. All is dry. This side is good and the intakes are sealed well.

Now flip the head over, and fill the exhaust runners.

Take note that you will have to plug the EGR passage so the fluid will stay in the runner.

Look at the fluid pour out past the valve, there is an issue that needs to be looked into. It is a bent valve.

Notice how the runner on the left of the divider still holds fluid, but the one on the right is empty. This is cylinder #4. If the left side will not hold fluid, check to make sure you have blocked off the EGR passage.

If you used water, blow the excessive water out with compressed air.

Then with WD-40

Spray WD-40 in the runners to inhibit rust formation on the valve stems.

Now at this point any valve sealing issues can be addressed and fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad taught me that trick back in the day.On my small engines,i usually turn the head upside down and fill the cc with wd-40 and watch to see if it leaks out.:thumb:

It is not really a trick, but a common pratice in machine shops and repair shops.

dang very helpful i did this process i was told by my friend to do this but i didnt use water i used gasoline, i now realize all valves are bent they all leaked on intake and exhaust side but a few. My suoer tech kit is wothless now. i was not told to clean the inside of the head so i didnt do that step would not cleaning head before checking the valves possibly give a false reading? I installed head and realized my oil pump siezed up and it sheaded the timing belt.

I just tried doing this with water. After the first a few minutes, i started seeing some droplets forming. However, i let the water sit there for some time and didn't really notice the fluid level diminishing in the runners.

Does this sound acceptable?

Thank you

Next time you are going to check by taking the valve cover off rotate the engine by hand and observe if all the valves are coming up to the same height or if any springs are lagging behind.

Looks like you will have bent valves, pistons dont look too bad, just clean out the high spots.

I use alcohol for those test mentioned.

Cheapest insurance new rod and mains bearings if you have gone this far

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back