The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

How to enable unused 2g Gauge Cluster Lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsunari

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 12, 2003
Jessup, Maryland
If you look at the warning lights in your gauge cluster, you may notice that there are a few that never light up (IE- ANTILOCK if you do not have ABS). That's all nice, but what about the other ones? Below are pictures of what is in there.

What originally prompted me to look into this is I can not easily tell if my stock fog lights are on, but if you look at the gauge cluster (right above the low fuel light), there appears to be a fog light symbol. Is this enabled on anyone elses cluster? Or any ideas why these are there?

Attachments

• DCP_5138.JPG
    DCP_5138.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 719
  • DCP_5153.JPG
    DCP_5153.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 794
my fog light thing doesnt come on, but then again, neither does my fuel light.

i have no idea how one would enable it though. thats nuts! didnt even know there was one!

WoW OMG I didnt know those were there, time to go lookin at the wiring diagram again :| such a painful job I hate messing with wiring LOL. I havent ever seen most of those lights come on,

What are the lights to the left of the anti-lock and to the left of the battery?

Since these clusters are used in Sebrings and Avengers as well, they are probably utilized in their setup. If you are interested in making the fog light one light up, run a LED off of the power wire to your fog lights and stick it in the hole in the back of the cluster. When the fogs have power, so will the LED and it will illuminate the light on the dash.

blackGSX2g said:
Since these clusters are used in Sebrings and Avengers as well, they are probably utilized in their setup. If you are interested in making the fog light one light up, run a LED off of the power wire to your fog lights and stick it in the hole in the back of the cluster. When the fogs have power, so will the LED and it will illuminate the light on the dash.

That's kind of what I thought . . . just couldn't think of which cars may have used this same cluster. And you're absolutely right about making the light work. Just need to cut a hole in the plastic circuit board on the back and then tap into the power from the fog switch and run it up to the cluster. I'm currently working on that- So far the most difficult part seems to be being able to locate some of the crimp-on ends that are used in the molex connectors which plug into the back of the cluster. Any ideas other than raping out of a DSM in a junkyard?

Got it done-

Attachments

• DCP_5164.JPG
    DCP_5164.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 656
thats really cool to see. do you think sometime you could do a detailed write up with pics and everything for the less inclined people? it would be great in the how-to tech section.

TurboDSM86 said:
thats really cool to see. do you think sometime you could do a detailed write up with pics and everything for the less inclined people? it would be great in the how-to tech section.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing one . . . kind of wanted to gauge feed-back from the community first. No need spending all of that time creating a HOW-TO if no one but me wants to do it eh? :p

I just do not see why Mitsu. didn't do it to begin with- did they REALLY need/want to save money that bad? Either way, the mod is not that difficult to do and I'll see about doing a writeup.

Defiant said:
Did you check to see first if it was already wired-up for that bulb?

Yup, that was the first thing I did- but actually there is no wire connection for the Fog Light indicator at all. So I ran down to a local junk yard that has a 2g and grabbed one of the molex connectors behind the gauge cluster and one that connects to the fog light switch so I could use the connector pins that fit into the harness (trying to keep things nice and clean).

The only 'problem' I see with using the fog light switch is if you guys use it as much as I do (read- all the time) the amber color might get on your nerves a bit, especially at night. So I would suggest replacing the bulb with either a white, blue (or color of choice) LED.

Personally, whenever I see an amber warning light in my cluster I'm automatically thinking *CHECK ENGINE* Light (which means for me knock retard > 3*).

HOW-TO writeup is in the works . . .

Beauty. While you're at it, remind everyone to replace the damned blinding Hi-Beam Indicator bulb with one of the smaller ones. They fit in the socket well enough. I actually cut out a piece of window tint and put it over my gauge cover to turn the damned thing down.

tsunari said:
The only 'problem' I see with using the fog light switch is if you guys use it as much as I do (read- all the time) the amber color might get on your nerves a bit, especially at night. So I would suggest replacing the bulb with either a white, blue (or color of choice) LED.
Thats probably why they decided not to use it. Any Avenger or Sebring I have been in does not use that light either.

Tallen said:
Thats probably why they decided not to use it. Any Avenger or Sebring I have been in does not use that light either.
It may be in for a European spec. I don't think the American requirement for a foglight indicator is applied when they're factory equipment. And leaving that off probably saved them ten or twelve cents a car. :rolleyes:

Here's the HOW-TO. Feedback is welcome.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173534

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back