The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G How-to: CTS-V Big Brake Kit on 13" rotor for less than $600

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can you post a picture of the 5mm shims and the hub ring installed?
that would be great.

Also what are you running on the rear? Do CTS-V rear calipers bolt up like how the evo ones do?

What 5mm shims? I think you need to read the how-to again as there are no shims in this method. The hub ring just goes before the rotor when installing. At some point when I unmount the rotors, I'll take some pictures of that.

I am running stock AWD rear calipers on powerslot cryoed rotors and Hawk HPS pads. Will install the Evo rear calipers in the future when I upgrade the master cyl to a 3G/Evo one.

The CTS V rear will not work.

More questions and answers:

Question 1 Wheels:
Currently my setup is 99 GSX OEM wheels the "Dual 5 spoke design". They are17x6.5 " and after reading your thread I instantly knew they were not going to work. So the plan is to sell those if I can and track down some EVO 9 or X wheels. I am currently looking at two wheels. Firs is the EVO 9 MR bbs wheels which is a 17x8 +38 wheel. Your thread calls out using a 17x8 or 9" wheel. Do you have any input on if this wheel will fit/clear the front ctsv calipers? My second choice and the one I am leaning towards is the EVO X MR BBS wheel. This wheel is a 18x8.5+38 which I know will have no issues clearing the front. What I really want to know is if the 9 Mr wheel can clear just in case as like a back up.

Answer: Yes, MR wheels will function. Basically anything that clears the Evo calipers will clear these. They're practically the same dimensions.

Question 2: Rear Brakes.
for the EVO rear brakes. As you said they bolt up perfectly. Do i need to change out the brake line or the rotor at all when making this swap?

Answer 2: It depends if you have banjo lines or not. If you do, they will work. If they're direct threaded then yes, you'd need to change them.

Question 3:Brake Booster.
Do I need to upgrade to a 3G eclipse brake booster to make these brakes work correctly. Or is the 2G master good enough.

Answer 3: They work fine with the stock booster but I'd recommend changing the master cyl for the 3G version. I haven't done this yet, but it will be done soon. But the pedal works fine and brake feel is good, just wish it had a little less pedal travel.

So, somewhere I read that some GST brake master cyl. are smaller than the 1" GSX version. If that is the case I would not recommend getting this upgrade without changing the master to a 3G master cyl. For track use I'd highly recommend the upgrade. I'm personally installing my 3G master soon.

-Cheers

ABS may be the reason why not 100% sure.
So, somewhere I read that some GST brake master cyl. are smaller than the 1" GSX version. If that is the case I would not recommend getting this upgrade without changing the master to a 3G master cyl. For track use I'd highly recommend the upgrade. I'm personally installing my 3G master soon.

-Cheers
I

IMO the ABS on these cars is poop. I'm in the process of eliminating it all together. I'd rather have an adequate non-ABS system vs an inadequate ABS'd system in any car. ABS doesn't make you stop faster, it just makes you not lock up during hard braking your already mediocre setup. These are 90's brakes, they work and aren't thaaaat bad for stock power levels and sensible driving. But as soon as you stick a 16G into this car and drive more spirited, these puny brakes scream for mercy trying to bring our 3200lb behemoths to a stop. I have a GSX with the twin pistons and they never felt up to the task even with DBA rotors and Hawk HP+ pads. To put it in perspective, my Miata NB track car's OEM rotors were just as big (actually larger out back), the caliper size is comparable to a single piston setup and pad surface was overall bigger on a car weighing 2400lbs with the driver.

Learning to modulate your brakes is not as difficult as people make it to be. Better tires and brakes reduce the tendency as it reduces braking distances so you tend to refrain from just stomping on the brake pedal as if it were the world's biggest cockroach and you had to end it's miserable life.

Cheers

Small update. I finally came around to installing the rotor centering rings instead of the exhaust tubing cut to fit. Had to trim about 3mm from the rings to get them to sit flush with the rotor and not interfere with the wheel hub centering ring.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I also installed the 3G non ABS master cyl and bled the entire system. I must say it's a night and day difference in pedal feel. Now it brakes as I imagined it would. Anybody getting these calipers should spend the extra $40 on this upgrade. Bench bleeding the thing is a PITA but well worth it .

A friend just confirmed (by actually doing the swap) that this will also work on a Lancer Ralliart version 2009-up and my guess is any Lancer last-gen possible since it's practically the same throughout the lineup. The amount needed to be removed on the backside of the caliper is slightly different (you'd have to measure) and the hub centering ring is not the same size (you'd need to find or fabricate your own) but it does work beautifully.

On one note, the Master Cyl is very small and it is highly recommended to update it with an Evo X version which is slightly larger 15/16" vs 7/8". The brake pedal feel get a hit using the OEM MC due to the extra volume it must pump and I would not recommend doing the swap without getting a hold of an upgraded MC as the pedal engage area is uncomfortably low to the floor.

Cheers

ADR, Thank you so much!

For those who have implemented this; is there apart number for the 13" rotors? Also, any lighter rotors out there as a substitute?

OP can you please measure how thick is the caliper is? I just measure the evo caliper with micrometer that I use to measure rotors and i would like to compare to caddy and hope that it is a little bit thinner. The reason being is that you can use lover offset wheels hopefully.

I guess I will start first. I happens to have Evo so that's how I measure it and would like to know if caddy calipers are thicker or thinner. To round it off I would say that they are about 146mm. If someone has them can you measure them. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6934.JPG
    IMG_6934.JPG
    204.8 KB · Views: 178
Hopeing to use rpf1 with low offset without the spacers but not sure if it will tuck under fender and clear the caliper
I've been researching the rpf1s and it seems like the perfect setup is 17x9 +35 in rear and +45 in front. No idea if these brakes would fit though.

They won't clear the Brembo. You need like 18 offset with 17x9 to clear evo calipers. The spoke design changes when you go to 9 wight rim. You can run 8 or 8.5 width with 35 offset and it will clear since the spokes design is differant. If you have stock brakes you can use 17x9 since you won't run into problems with calipers. Since I am determent to have Brembo all the way around on my 1g then offset plays a big role with that wheels I can use. The rear just need calipers to test fit but the parking brake is already take care off, just don't know if it will mount correctly. Need to wait for better weather. Front still undecided if evo calipers or caddy.

They won't clear the Brembo. You need like 18 offset with 17x9 to clear evo calipers. The spoke design changes when you go to 9 wight rim. You can run 8 or 8.5 width with 35 offset and it will clear since the spokes design is differant. If you have stock brakes you can use 17x9 since you won't run into problems with calipers. Since I am determent to have Brembo all the way around on my 1g then offset plays a big role with that wheels I can use. The rear just need calipers to test fit but the parking brake is already take care off, just don't know if it will mount correctly. Need to wait for better weather. Front still undecided if evo calipers or caddy.
Why are you determined to have the Brembos?

Very simple. Pad choice and looks. Looks being a big factor, yes inner ricer in me is jumping for joy. Their are no pad options for 1g. I had hawks hp+ on the evo and it changed my life. Had to take the off because of the noise but the braking power is out of this world. It over works the abs pump on dry surface when you stand on the it. Simply amazing. So I want to use them on Dsm. I also abuse brakes on every car I drive so their might be a problem with me too.

Well we need some real measurements. I spend days online on differant forums from ss to wrx to Silvia's and no one actually measures these calipers. But with that in mind on firebird forums their was a discussion about inner berrel of the rims and on some wheels it is bigger then in others. So again we need to measure.

Last edited:
Did you mean 03/04 Cobra? They didn't make 01/02 Cobras.

Yes they did, they're just not supercharged. If I had to guess I would say almost every year mustang has a cobra version. From Fox body until now and before.

Hah I didn't see that was you at first.. Did you ever brake upgrade your build, paintballaa? How's the build going?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back