The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

GVR-4 How strong to build trans and transfer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumpyVR4

Supporting Member
May 21, 2014
Sydney, Australia
I need to build a trans and transfer at the perfect time when parts have already become rarer than hen's teeth, but here I am. The engine the drive train has to survive is a 94mm stroker that I am expecting 500whp on E85 from. I am not going to drag race it or even roll race. I just like building cars and having a ton of power available. That being said I'm kidding myself if i say I'm not going to lean on it from time to time. The diff is a 4 bolt with an evo mechanical lsd and I have a DSS main drive shaft so I'm good there.
That leaves my stock trans and transfer with 260,000km on it. Still all works fine and doesn't have any death whines. I'm trying to figure out, given what parts I can get now how stout I should build them. If money was no object I'd just buy a PAR synchro-mesh gear set. But I own a 30 year old Mitsubishi so I don't have that kind of scratch lying around.
Hiding under my bed is one of the last new evo 3 input shafts and 1st gear. I have a line on an evo 1 LSD box I am thinking about buying to mix and match parts from. I am also thinking getting a 4 spider center diff might not be a bad thing. There is a shop in Aus that can mod my stock one. I'm also considering a billet bearing carrier seeing as I've also heard that flexing kills 4th. But once again is that only with slicks on the way to a 9?
Transfer case wise I was thinking about getting a billet cover and body as I've heard it's the flex that kills them. But do I only need that if I'm on the two step dropping the clutch all the time?
I know I'm a bit of a worrier and I definately like to over engineer things. So yeah not sure how hardcore to go. Don't want them to die even if I treat them with mechanical sympathy so will hapilly spend what I need to, but at the same time don't want to spend cash I don't have to either.

Have you contacted Twicks69 here on the board?

He's one of the few remaining people who still specs/builds these transmissions.

Doing it on stock (let alone, "used") gears @ 500whp you're talking about (much less a stroker) is just putting a longer wick on a firecracker, but if you want to go that route, he's probably the one who you want to have set it up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back