The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

How reliable has your DSM been?

Are DSM's a reliable car? Rate it 10 is high

Votes: 100 11.3%

Votes: 73 8.2%

Votes: 183 20.6%

Votes: 180 20.3%

Votes: 86 9.7%

Votes: 93 10.5%

Votes: 65 7.3%

Votes: 30 3.4%

Votes: 21 2.4%

Votes: 57 6.4%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honestly if u can maybe get 3 grand you can find a better car.. yeah your 14 and everyone says by the time you get your license and stuff.. I am 18 and I know how it is when you are young ( not saying I am so old) you want everything NOW , I had a 98 eclipse rs, fixed it up and made it look great , took like 9 months to do that, if you think that you wont run into any other eclipse turbo or possibly gsx . I would say yeah go for it.. we are just here to give you advice not force you to do something you don’t want too. but then again I u want it ready by high school, then get it and turn it into a babe magnet. ( wish I had a car in high school, life would have been so much better :cry:) but good luck and make sure what you doing and getting into is what you want.:applause:

ps : my old car... ::dsm:

Attachments

• Image003.jpg
    Image003.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 190
But to sum it up, a DSM is a car you will fall in love with. It is not for the faint of heart, or the lazy. Dont buy it expecting to have a car that never breaks, because, unless you pay a good amount for the car and find one hell of a deal, it has most likely been abused and not maintained properly. You WILL keep putting money into it. First it will be to get it running. Then you will want to go faster. Either way, the car will never be "done". Have fun with it and take care of the car.

Well said! I agree with you, completely.

Exactly. I tell you what, these cars are ridiculous for their price. But not reliable whatsoever.
I have a list of maintenance to do before any modding. Not to mention as soon as I get my new tranny it will add to the amount of money I've put in the car, which will soar over the $1800 I dropped on the car.

Close, but no cigar, my friend. I whole-heartedly believe that it all comes down to HOW WELL you take care of the car. If you cover all of your bases, maintainance wise, and (This was already in a post further up) you don't continually beat the living shit out of the car, you'll be golden!

Oh and don't feel bad about the $1800 stuck into the car. I've owned my GSX for two years now and haven't put more than 175 miles on it. It's currently sitting in my garage and completely stripped. I am keeping an investment log of EVERYTHING that is being put into my car, and right now, including the price of the car, I'm just a hair under $10,000. Did I mention the car was STRIPPED??? :D Yeah, and I have about $8,000 more to invest. I'm a perfectionist, though, so go figure. Ha. I KNOW what you're thinking....HOLY ****!OMG It's a LONG story but, basically, i got ripped off because I was in a BIG HURRY to buy mine. After I figured out what had happened, I was pissed and started wondering if it was a mistake to buy the car, but then I changed my mindset (Haha, No pun intended.) I met some VERY helpful friends who share the same passion for these cars that I do and that's helped, TREMENDOUSLY! Also, following project logs, such as Turbosax's, for example, have been additional inspiration for me. I am happy with my purchase, now, and can't wait to get this thing on the road!

I think youll be fine personally......

I agree with this guy. You'll be totally fine! Trust me. Not to mention, you're ALMOST 10 years younger than I am!!! Sometimes, I wish I had gotten into these cars so much sooner than I did, but nonetheless, I'm still happy with the way things have gone so far. I LOVE THIS STUFF! Everything about the car is so intriguing to me and I love wrenching on the thing. I love the fact that, when this thing is "done"...or atleast a phase of it is done, I can have ALL the pride and satisfaction in saying that it's mine and I BUILT IT!

Moral of the story, man(Original Poster), is this. Don't let the same old "DSM's are a piece of shit ALL THE TIME" talk convince you to shy away from these cars. There's, obviously, a reason why they're DSM's are a "piece of shit."

Take your time finding a QUALITY car that you REALLY want, or get as close to that QUALITY as you possibly can. Don't settle for it if "it looks okay" or it doesn't really light your fire. When you find THAT CAR...TAKE CARE OF IT! Don't half ass it. You WILL (As stated above), invest more and more money into it over time. That's just the nature of the beast. Build it how you've dreamt about and visualized it. It's yours and the SKY IS THE LIMIT! Honestly.

And, REMEMBER, it's just like ANY OTHER sports car out there, it WILL break down from time to time. That's ALL in the USER, however. Garbage IN...Garbage OUT!

+1 Laser.

50% or more of what I know about cars (particularity DSM's) is from talking to other people on forums, and reading stuff on the internet.

50% or Less of what i know about cars came from High School Auto Class, (I would suggest taking one even if its just the basics if your high school has one), Self Teaching (figuring out how crap works on your own) and using Repair Manuals.

I don't go to "high school" persay. I don't go to public school........ I had to BEG for TWO years at my private school to get it (BTW the private school I go to is like......... well tiny, the school is probably no longer then 3 buses). I don't know if I will have "car shop" (as we call it) this year.... :(

I'll try to get it back but hey..........

And on the whole "Don't just buy the first one" subject, BELIEVE me! This is not the first!
I've looked at probably 10+ (5-7 of them were on the internet).

And on the subject of "Get one you REALLY want!" I can't! I don't know ANY 14yearold that can afford a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX............... Not going to happen...

I think of it as listing the cars in a row RS - GS Gs-T -GSX work my way up (I get to skip the first two). LOL

I hope it works out.

(BTW, I felt the itch, not from me driving anything, from riding in a 2005 was it 2006 or 2004? Mitsubishi Lancer Evo.9 MR OMG

In other words you PROBABLY will put more money into it then you paid.....? (More then likely).

WELL, THE OTHER DAY YOU WERE ASKING ABOUT A 99 FOR LIKE BIG MONEY AND MYSELF AND A FEW OTHERS TOLD YOU THAT YOU WERE GONNA GET ROBBED, NOW I SEE THAT THE OTHER CAR THAT I POINTED OUT TO YOU IS YOUR CHOICE. JUST BECAUSE IT HAS A BODY KIT DOES NOT MAKE IT JUNK. IT COMES OFF WITH A FEW SCREWS, AND IF ITS RIGGED, IM SURE IT HAS SOME ZIP TIES AND SOME 2-SIDED TAPE HOLDING IT ON.
I'M GLAD TO SEE THAT SOME OF THE NEWER MEMBER take the advice from their seniors on this site. most will ask can they do something, and when you tell them no, they go ahead and do it anyway, then cry when it dont work:thumb:

I can't hear the video cause my audio's out. But what everyone said here is quit true. Look son, I've waited 9 years for one and maybe you could wait a little longer. 14, Do you have you'r driver L yet. I know it's 17 or 18 in Cali.

WELL, THE OTHER DAY YOU WERE ASKING ABOUT A 99 FOR LIKE BIG MONEY AND MYSELF AND A FEW OTHERS TOLD YOU THAT YOU WERE GONNA GET ROBBED, NOW I SEE THAT THE OTHER CAR THAT I POINTED OUT TO YOU IS YOUR CHOICE. JUST BECAUSE IT HAS A BODY KIT DOES NOT MAKE IT JUNK. IT COMES OFF WITH A FEW SCREWS, AND IF ITS RIGGED, IM SURE IT HAS SOME ZIP TIES AND SOME 2-SIDED TAPE HOLDING IT ON.
I'M GLAD TO SEE THAT SOME OF THE NEWER MEMBER take the advice from their seniors on this site. most will ask can they do something, and when you tell them no, they go ahead and do it anyway, then cry when it dont work:thumb:

Well this car was the onther car I was looking at. I was back and forth. This one with the body kit was the first pick. Then I was told about the '99 RS from my friend. He though it looked "good"...... Well going by the place in the backseat of a van going 60MPH isn't going to tell ya much. LOL

But this one SCREAMS buy me and fix me.

(BTW, thanks for telling me how to find this one! I wasn't going to but it because I had no info and the guy wasn't answering his phone.).
Thanks! To all of ya and believe me, This WILL NOT be the last time I refur to you guys before I do anything!

Now I had better start :pray:ing so I get this thing!

I can't hear the video cause my audio's out. But what everyone said here is quit true. Look son, I've waited 9 years for one and maybe you could wait a little longer. 14, Do you have you'r driver L yet. I know it's 17 or 18 in Cali.

It's 15 to get the permit and 16 to get the liscens. And what does having a liscens have to do with buying it? Yeah I will not be driving it but I can work on it............

To the OP, listen son. 9 years for mine. I was in a hurry years ago... found rs, gs, oz edition... but I thought to myself Im going to turbo no matter what. So I waited for a gsx or gst. Search for years and found only ones out of my price range. Years later found some but all riced up and souped up. Imma have to spend money do DE RICE them and pass stupid cali smog. So nine years later saved up enough money and bought a 98 gst wid 107k... stock everything, even down to the stock cd player and changer.
And all through the years I was aching seeing all these nice dsm passing me by when I didn't have one. AND YOU KNOW WHAT KIDO, When I bought mine, the color and interior, everything I wanted in one. THE VICTORY WAS BITTER SWEET! It's not what you think it will be.
Sure you want one now but make sure YOU WILL STILL LOVE IT 1-4 YEARS DOWN THE ROAD...

To the OP, listen son. I've waited 9 fuggin years for mine. I was in a hurry years ago... found rs, gs, oz edition... but I thought to myself Im going to turbo no matter what. So I waited for a gsx or gst. Search for years and found only ones out of my price range. Years later found some but all riced up and souped up. Imma have to spend money do DE RICE them and pass stupid cali smog. So nine years later saved up enough money and bought a 98 gst wid 107k... stock everything, even down to the stock cd player and changer.
And all through the years I was aching seeing all these nice dsm passing me by when I didn't have one. AND YOU KNOW WHAT KIDO, When I bought mine, the color and interior, everything I wanted in one. THE VICTORY WAS BITTER SWEET! It's not what you think it will be.
Sure you want one know but make sure YOU WILL STILL LOVE IT 1-4 YEARS DOWN THE ROAD...

I don't know if I can wait that long. With the miles as high as they are already on these cars........ years will make it a problem.

I just......IDK what to say to that.......

Yeah time is a factor also..
I've turned down many sexy looking dsm, all due to signs of crankwalk, tranny problems not to mention GUT FEELING. 9 years ago I THOUGHT STOCK ECLIPSES WERE EXTINCT.
Like my inlaw, you never know. Maybe tomorrow you will find one with less looking problems and for a cheaper price!

Patience is a virtue.

While I have had many issues with my car (oil leaks, coolant leaks, busted a/c, blown clutch, poor compression, etc...) it has never once left me stuck away from home. That being said, it has left me stuck at home a few times. I do find the car quite reliable even though I have some decent mods on it. I made a joke on a thread elsewhere that your first mod should be a truck. That way you can haul parts and have a rig to tool around in while you are modifying your car the correct way (or as backup should it break down). If your dad has a body shop then he probably has a truck already so I am sure he could help you out. There are a few things that I'd like to share that will help you save money and time:

1: Plan what you want to do early on and stick to it. You will save a lot of money by doing the upgrades only once.
Are you going to drag? AutoX? Road Race?
(Wheel/tire/brake/suspension/power curve will be setup different for each)
Are you going to run E85?
(Bigger injectors early on also affects your tuning options)
What are your horsepower or quarter mile time goals?
(Affects choices for drivetrain and engine components)
Are you willing to sacrifice drivability/reliability for power?
2: Take your time and do things right. When you are planning a job don't look at the the minimum that needs to be done. Look at the maximum that can be done.
If you pull the engine- clean and paint the engine compartment.
If you have to drop control arms-Paint them
If you have to pull the front cover to fix an oil leak- eliminate the balance shafts
So on and so forth.
3: The cheapest solution is not usually the best and the most expensive is usually not worth it.
4: Ebay can be your friend for budget builds (intercoolers/exhausts/holset turbos/backup parts
5: If you don't drop the clutch or ride the redline your hard work and money will last longer and go further.
6: Just because your car is fast doesn't mean you need to go fast. I have many friends who can't drive their beloved cars (legally) because their licenses are suspended or they can't afford the insurance because of their tickets.

You will love this car. With the right planning and a minimal amount of expense you will have one of the fastest cars on the road. Like others were saying if you take care of it, it will take care of you.

Is that true you have to take the engine out to change the plug wires? I wouldn't mind doing that (I would LOVE to do it).

Here is a video I shot of the car running, tell me what you can. I don't expect you to know, have any ideas opinions, (BTW the car runs LOL).

YouTube - 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T The NEW interest!

Keep in mind this car HAS been sitting in the well...... cold, hot Minnesota weather. Cold then hot then cold then hot, IDK that may not affect it at all but it sounds like it......

--Plugs
--Wires
--One of the coils is out on the coil pack
--1997+ ecu in a 1995 car or vise versa (I THINK it will run but since the firing order is all different you can have a problem. Ir if they didn't swap the firing order properly, you can have aproblem)
--Cam timing (easy to check)
--Venting the BOV can make idle suck (really lean idle and light cruise)
--Head gasket (pull the plugs and the upper intercoolerpiping and hold the throttle wide open while the motor is warm to run a compression check)
--Bent valves (pull the valve cover and see if any springs/retainers sit lower: intake usually get bent before exhaust)

Don't buy an RS :(

Hey you could buy the prelude next to it. J/K... But if you do buy it. LOOK AT ALL THESE NICE PEOPLE ON THIS THREAD willing to help you!:hellyeah:
:applause:dsmtuners:applause:

"Hey you could buy the prelude next to it. J/K... But if you do buy it." It's an Integra LOL.

Close, but no cigar, my friend. I whole-heartedly believe that it all comes down to HOW WELL you take care of the car. If you cover all of your bases, maintainance wise, and (This was already in a post further up) you don't continually beat the living shit out of the car, you'll be golden!

Oh and don't feel bad about the $1800 stuck into the car. I've owned my GSX for two years now and haven't put more than 175 miles on it. It's currently sitting in my garage and completely stripped. I am keeping an investment log of EVERYTHING that is being put into my car, and right now, including the price of the car, I'm just a hair under $10,000. Did I mention the car was STRIPPED??? :D Yeah, and I have about $8,000 more to invest. I'm a perfectionist, though, so go figure. Ha. I KNOW what you're thinking....HOLY ****!OMG It's a LONG story but, basically, i got ripped off because I was in a BIG HURRY to buy mine. After I figured out what had happened, I was pissed and started wondering if it was a mistake to buy the car, but then I changed my mindset (Haha, No pun intended.) I met some VERY helpful friends who share the same passion for these cars that I do and that's helped, TREMENDOUSLY! Also, following project logs, such as Turbosax's, for example, have been additional inspiration for me. I am happy with my purchase, now, and can't wait to get this thing on the road!

It also comes down to how much money you have in your bank account. :|
Not to mention it's how the the previous owner treated my car. I have yet to do any mod. And if they are mods, it's because they were cheap and the OE part had to be replaced. Such as my clutch, it's being replaced with a $100 ACT 2600 I bought off a guy that snapped his timing belt and it seriously has only 20 miles on it.

these cars are like a mistress,no matter what one you choose THEY cost tons of money for a quick thrill

~50 a month for full coverage. If you have any parents/grandparents who were military you can get coverage through USAA and its pretty cheap.

Treat the car well and it will treat you well, just be sure to take care of all of the maintenance before you decide to do anything else to the car.

MitsuStyle.com is a mostly minneapolis area based dsm community.

i have a 94 1.8L and it has 190k on the clock shes tired but im planing on getting 220k on the motor befor it decides to die and i have to swap it so to me DSM's are a good buy just dont beat the hell outta it and itll repay u with a reliable car

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back