The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

how necessary is the timing belt cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slow gs

Probationary Member
Aug 1, 2009
houston, Texas
i was wondering how important the timing belt lower and upper covers are on a daily driver, cus i just got the timing belt back on and i want to know if a have to put tham back or not, any help would be apreciated

It is important to have all of the timing belt covers on. I had a buddy of mine years ago take the top cover off, and he drove the car for a while just fine. However, that was until one day he was replacing the valve cover gasket and unknowingly lost a bolt for the valve cover. Can you guess where it went and what it did.. LOL! On the other hand, I have daily driven my car without any of the covers for five years without problems, it makes timing belt jobs a breeze. I do it on my car, but would advise to do at your own risk...

It is in tally?! OMG Where?

ight since you boys are both AWD i would be willing to show you... PM me and we can get together and make a crazy DSM rally video... OOO YEA theres also a rally x next weekend in Georgia bout 45 min from here!!! SO im down to practice a bit on the dirt roads here n show off in competition... Lemme know crazy vids will ensue!!!

What's the con of putting on the cover? Overheating? I can't really think of anything, it's not like they weigh 50 kilograms...

the clear covers are really nice but they are also like $75. i never have ever ran the top cover. the bottom cover you need to run for sure. not only does it keep debre from ruining your belt but you will need it when timing your motor with a timing light. the top one is not so necessary as there is little debre on the top side of your motor, others will beg to differ.

I run without my top one as well. Do so at your own risk. Course as stated earlier I kinda think of money as paper to burn. I keep getting more of it every day for some reason. :hmm: and I hear they keep making the stuff. :D Seriously though... on my 2.4 build I will have all covers in place with a clear top cover.:thumb:

I must have had one that was broken in half. Well I finally broke it in numerous pieces replacing my oil filter housing and ordered a new one from the satan and I see it is twice the size as the broken one I took off. I am lost here do I have to remove all the pulleys to get this pos on the car? I converted this car to AWD but am stumped by this lower timing cover. Can anyone assist with the info? Thanks!

Haha When I had mine off.....it was a mistake. I took the lower cover off and 8 little rocks fell out but timing was perfect. I put the upper and lower back on and guess what? A rock somehow found its way into the water pump pulley hole and I lost my cylinder head. I guess my timing belt had 9 lives and the 9th killed it for good. haha

yea you will definitly want that cover installed. if not you are running the risk of something getting in there ie. rocks, debris, and maybe causing the belt to snap which in turn with demolish the motor. so PUT IT ON AND KEEP IT ON. make wise decisons. if you like the look of it not being on, purchase a clear cover they are aroung $70. good luck!

i don't care for the upper cover much, but i would never run without a bottom cover. aside from the slight chance that debris can get in there, there is an even bigger chance that an accessory belt can snap off and lodge in the timing belt or even outright snap it if it whips at it. there is even a chance running without an upper cover, that a snapped accessory belt can get there and ruin the timing belt. i'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet in this thread...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back