The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

how my 1g decided to kick my butt(originally in private hangout)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3kgt2nv

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 7, 2011
poughkeepsie, New_York
so after a 2 year ground up restore I am hours away from starting my car for the first time since i owned it. I was putting the final touches on it when i went to get out from under it when i slipped a disc in my neck and have been layed up for 2 weeks now.

after 2 mri's and a 3rd one scheduled for tomorrow it looks like I might need surgery to remove the disc as its impacting with a nerve cluster causing terribly painful spasms in my left side basically paralyzing me.

I have been living on 80 mg of vallium and 10 mg of percoset a day while trying to get my neck to straighten out enough to see if i can go to physical therapy.

update #1 after all the mri's and cat scans they finally found whats actually causing the issues. I have a spinal cyst that is putting pressure on my spine. Unfortunately right next to it is a defect in my circulatory system called an avm/avf where a vein and an artery mate up.(not good)

update #2 now 5 weeks later and will need 2 surgery's on my spine to fix the issues i have as a result of this little woops. I will be laid up by this for about 16-24 weeks. luckily i have one or two more weeks before thy want to do the surgery and i was told it was ok to do stuff as long as i dont over do it.

what sucks is my whole left side is really week and my left leg is numb all the time and its spreading to the right leg.

what really sucks is about 3 weeks ago during a contrast mri i had a nurse infiltrate a vein when trying to give me the contrast and inject it all into my arm
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

now in both arms i only have enough strength to hold about a half gallon of milk before its to heavy.

how can you tell i own a dsm. even im on jackstands.

pissed me off so much since it is literally 2 hours away from starting the car for the first time in 2 years. sucks because i will not be able to drive it because i cant push the clutch in because of my leg being weak and numb all the time.

Lucky for me i have very slowly be able to get the car almost ready to be started. i have to rest for about an hour for every 20-30 mins of work i put in but i swear i will hear this thing turn over before i get operated on.

It's good to see you've still got the ambition to see to it your car gets finished, but from one DSM'er to another, don't over-do it man, Your Health > Dsm's health. :thumb: Rock on brother, We're all pulling for you to make a fast recovery!

i will not lie it is so easy to sit around and do nothing but play battlefield 3 or any other xbox game than to go out to the garage and work on the car but after getting so close i refuse to wait till next year.

The doc keeps telling me good when i tell her i am trying to do stuff since it will keep me active and reduce the risk of a blood clot.

today my poly rear subframe bushings from boostx show up so i might try to do the rear end put together but it might be too heavy for me to move. if it is that will have to wait.

Other wise ill hook up my bov and fill the clutch cylinder and if i am still able to work on the car after that since i need a brain mri today before the surgery I might put the fenders and splash guards back on.

so the first of 2 needed surgerys was done on thursday and i am finally able to move around some with out loads of pain. im weak as hell and can barely stand. doc said another day or two and ill be good to go untill the next surgery in a week and a half. cannot wait to get back to the car. need to fab the exhaust and its ready to start.

unfortunately the oil return has been very slowly leaking and even after sealing if with permatex i cannot get it to stop. and its such a slow leak i cant even find where its leaking from.

might have to drain the oil clean everything and reseal it and try again. which sucks because getting up off the ground is the hardest thing for me to do.

so the first of 2 needed surgerys was done on thursday and i am finally able to move around some with out loads of pain. im weak as hell and can barely stand. doc said another day or two and ill be good to go untill the next surgery in a week and a half. cannot wait to get back to the car. need to fab the exhaust and its ready to start.

unfortunately the oil return has been very slowly leaking and even after sealing if with permatex i cannot get it to stop. and its such a slow leak i cant even find where its leaking from.

might have to drain the oil clean everything and reseal it and try again. which sucks because getting up off the ground is the hardest thing for me to do.

I am sorry this happened to you. At least you are feeling a bit more comfortable after the surgeries, which is always a good thing. Try to take it easy, man.

On the subject of your leak; It is common for a small leak to occur at the oil return line(on the end that mates to the oil pan), if you did not use gasket maker on the oil return line bolts that thread into the oil pan. Remove one oil return line bolt, while keeping the other untouched, and put gasket maker on it. Then thread it back in, and torque it to spec. Repeat for the remaining bolt. Keep a drain container handy, just in case come oil leaks out of the first oil drain line bolt that you remove.

Try the above out before going through the effort of draining, cleaning, and resealing.

I hope this helps, and good luck with the fast recovery.

i already sealed the bolts from the outside but ill try removing them tomorrow if i can lay on the floor at all. other wise ill have to drain the oil and reseal everything. im thinking i tried to use the gasket that came with the pan that its leaking now

thanks man. its easy to sit around and do nothing. i have never been that kind of guy and even though it wipes me out having something to get up and do is helping me alot to not give in and start staying i cant.

i got stuck on the floor for 30 minutes today like a turtle on my back and couldn't get up. but it was totally worth it because i was able to wire my fans together and run a wire to the top of the bay so i dont have to lay down for that again.

after i was finally able to stand up i had to sleep for a while to recover but am glad i pushed myself to do more than look at the car today. i woke up with no energy so this was a good day today

That is good man, this isnt my account but I was in a bad motorcycle accident, and didnt let my self laydown and do nothing either. I was in a coma for a week and on life support, did physical therapy right when I got out and worked on the little things on my car. took a year befor I was allowed to walk from putting me back together but I could wheel to my car the stand on one foot to do my BC and guage. had my buddy drive me around in my car a couple of times.

Keep up the good work man. dont over do it but a positive attitude is the most important to a speedy recovery. Your a trooperman, many people take the easy way out. keep on keepin on

thanks. today was a bad day. my leg and hip where they did the insert for the spinal angiogram are killing me and is stupid painful to walk.

before i had to quit i was able to drill and tap the manifold for my gm iat sensor and get that installed and re hook up all my vac lines.

now im off to get some pain meds. eat coffee ice cream and play some battle field 3 till i pass out.

well a small bruise started to form where the did the surgery at. no wonder i was a little sore there the last few days

so today i hit some craigslist luck and scored a set of perfect condition corbeau trs seats and harness.

seats are micro suede and amazing.

now i just need to get the brackets and im set to set up my roll cage for welding

found out yesterday the surgery to remove the cyst from my spine is on the 27th. after that i will not be able to touch the car for a few weeks.

so since i now have a 20 day window i decided I would try to do at least 1 thing on my car every day.

yesterday i took apart my spare rear subframe and swing arm assembly and started getting them ready for installing the energy suspension bushings and paining them.

today day 19 i hope to be done cleaning and painting the rear subframe and be ready to start reassembling it tomorrow so i can install it.

yesterday carrying the right side swing arm and the lower trailing arm still bolted together was stupid hard for me and wore me out moving it like 50 feet to get it to where i was going to work on it. cant wait to either be done with the car or recover from this

so today was kind of a big day with the car. cranked the car for the first time in 2 years to prime the engine and test the ignition system.

few more small mods and things to tie up and its ready for fuel system check and initial start up
woot woot:hellyeah:

Jesus, Matt... I had no idea about any of this!

Wish you a full and speedy recovery after the surgery and that the time between now and then isn't too unbearable!

this all came about kinda suddenly about a month and a week ago. I refuse to let this dictate my ability to do stuff.

And more importantly i will not let it stop me from driving my car this year.

big next step is to hook up the fuel system which includes wiring in my a1000 fuel pump.

my leg one week later. finally starting to not hurt like crazy. i can walk again without pain

so today i finished the dissassembly and media blasting the rear subframe and got it all primed and painted. ordered new ball joints, new tie rod ends, installed my energy suspension bushings. ordered new brake parts kit and brake boot kit.

picked up my 4 way relay for the fuel pump and an inline 30 amp fuse. tomorrow i will wire in the fuel pump and pick up all new bolts for the subframe.

thanks. today was an awesome day. for the first time in 7 weeks i was able to work for a few hours straight without having to stop. im beat ass tired now but it felt so good to be able to start a project today and almost finish it in one shot.

tomorrow im prob gunna feel like total crap but it was so worth it.

today was a great day. cranked the car and got it to fire and turn over for the first time.

would only idle for a few seconds because i cant set up dsm link. I was having an issue with it connecting and think i need to reinstall the drivers for the serial cable.

only other issue that im having is i think the mfi relay isnt working right as it will not kick the fuel pump on through the relay. had to hot wire the fuel pump to get it to work.

alot of little things left to get straightened out but the dsmlink issue and the fuel pump are whats going to need the most attention

well tomorrow is d day for my spinal surgery. got all the issues mechanically finished with the car and it starts and idles fine now.

Still need to tune with dsm link. and install the new drive shaft bearings and install some other little stuff.

but the car is fully running. My friend will be installing the rest of the parts and finishing up the last of the small stuff while i am in the hospital and unable to work on it for the next two and a half weeks.

just want to say thanks to everyone for there well wishes and special thanks to all the people that helped me finish the last few things and to solve issues i had on here.

calan,talondave,nherron,ludachris,19eclipse90,vtec this, bud92gsx,liquidx

thanks to everyone. cant wait to get better and be able to drive my car for the first time.

so i had my surgery on monday and am weak as can be. between naps and percoset induced non pain my friend that is helping to finish my car stopped by.

he got the ds corbeau seat installed and the torque solutions drive shaft bushings installed before i couldnt stand any more and had to lay back down. was only able to stand for about 15 minutes total. thankfully he knows cars so i dont have to worry about him working on my car for me.

my new scar

man, take care of your body, the car will be there believe me.. I've been through a lot and forced myself back to work early and suffered complications from it in some cases, also made some stupid decisions like filming wheely sessions on street bikes with a hip to toe brace on, knowing one wrong move and i'd be screwed...Take it from some one who's living in this type of pain daily and has been for almost 11 years, the last thing you should be worried about is the car at this point.. I know it sounds cliche, but coming from some one who's marched through the thickest sh*t piles to turn a wrench and see results.. I cna loook back and say that i was a complete fool to do so.

I posted above some where i think as well, but all i'm saying is take care of yourself bro, the DSM will be there to beat you down when you're ready for it, I know how boring it gets after surgery and how every aspect of it goes..this is the time to relax on the couch, slowly make progress and just chill with a friend or your girl in a non-stressed and non-physically working enviroment.

now that i'm done sounding like mom, i'll just say take care of yourself bro and update us on your progress :D

i hear ya. as far as doing anything i really cant. just standing wears me out after about an hour, lucky for me i know people who are willing to help out. i dont plan on being able to drive the car this year at all. between the racing seats and the roll cage i cant get in and out of it. One of my friends who is helping me finsih it up and tune it is going to bring it to some local car meets so i can get some pics of it.

just sucks cause over the winter i was going to rip it apart and paint the car but now i dont want to so i can drive it the first nice day.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back