The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

How much time to change the timing belt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukb

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2011
Frederick, Maryland
How many hours did it take some of you guys to change your timing belt?
I want to get a feel for it before I get it all apart.
I have all the stuff... just picking the right time.
4g63t engine btw.

Really depends on how exerienced you are. I can do one on my car in about an hour and a half max. It also helps to have a cam gear tool, to keep the cam gears in perfect time, and a spanner wrench for when you tighten the tensioner pulley. It's not as bad of a job as most make it out to be, in my opinion.

If the engine is out of the car 10 minutes. With the engine in it should take about an hour if you know what you are doing. If you have never done it before it will probably turn into a 4-6 hour job.

I use the Jay Racing timing belt tools and it takes me about 45 minutes to an hour to change a timing belt.

Edit: With the engine in the car.

First time I did one it took me 3 days. Mainly trying to get the timing cover off. One day just putting the pulleys back on the water pump. Couldn't get all three holes to line up. Finally put some studs in to hold things in place.

Now, takes me about 2-3 hours.

I have done three timing belts and it takes me 2-3 hours. The biggest issue I always have is the tensioner for the AC. My hands are just too big to get the center bolt back in easily. I have found it helpful to put the bolt in a socket and start it that way. The rest is pretty simple.

cool... I guess I just need to plan a couple days just in case...

And could I get a link to some of the tools you guys are talking about?
From the vfaq it just seemed like you could do it by hand!?!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back