The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

How much more valuable is a car for sale with a Dyno sheet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostednavyac

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 31, 2012
San Diego, California
Just a question out of curiosity, chime in as necessary looking for opinions~ how much more valuable do you believe a car is with a dyno sheet as opposed to without one? For instance, let's say I wanted to sell my car with all the same modifications but no dyno....and then I go and dyno it and say it puts out around 400whp. Would you be willing to pay more for that same car? Any and all opinions are appreciated. Dylan

Lol... Sorry but it won't make a difference. Your going to ask for allot. Get it back to stock, then sell parts seperately.

Why get it back to stock to sell it? Yes your not gonna get nearly as much back out of it as you put in but can still sell them for a good price to someone that is looking to buy and mod one. Costs less to buy a modded one then to buy one stock and build.

I would have to say it may help show the buyer what the car puts out but the tune by a professional would be a double bonus with the dyno sheet.

I'm neither in a postion to buy or looking to sell my GST I was just wondering what the consensus was out of curiousity. Seems to be that a professional tune to accompany a Dyno sheet would be optimal. Thanks!

I think having proof a legit shop tuned it is more important than a sheet.

I'd rather have a reliable 300hp than a 700hp time bomb

a dyno sheet could prove that the engine is still in good condition, which would be helpful in selling it. Though i don't think it would actually increase the value.

a dyno sheet could prove that the engine is still in good condition, which would be helpful in selling it. Though i don't think it would actually increase the value.

not at all. i could dyno a car and adjust the timing so much to put up a good number that the car is going to kill itself. dynoing a car isnt going to adjust the value unless thats all the car was built for to be a dyno queen. with dyno correction factors and everything else its my word vs yours as to what that number actually means. if your going to try to sell performance and the person isnt familiar with the platform it might educate them but its not a golden ticket for value. for that receipts for parts and more importantly all the maintenance you performed prior to modding is what will give the car value.

Just remember who you're asking. Most guys on here are so cheap it's disgusting. Its why the venders are leaving and these cars are turning into piles of junk. In the real world, if you have a dyno for the car, you can ask for a little more and will get it. Having a dyno does 2 things; 1. It gives the potential buyer bragging rights and gives them excitement about the car because they can physically see it. 2. It shows that the car has been built and tuned (even if it wasn't).

Remember that your buyer probably isn't going to be a dsmtuners member who things they know it all.

hypothetically speaking.
KBB on my car is around $1,500
I have a dyno sheet that reads 111 WHP and 119 TQ

all that dyno sheet will do in my case is prove that after 180k miles, my car has about the same HP it did when it was new.

it would help me get $1,500 for my car, i don't think it would help me get $1600 for it.

When i sold my turbo s2k the dyno sheet and video i had helped me get the asking price i wanted. At least i like to think so LOL.

Most DSMers don't want to accept that our car is neither a classic or a collectible. Very few cars are actually worth more in non-stock form. It will take you mere seconds to see it. Original is worth more. A classic car restored to factory almost always brings far more at auction then the one with an LS6 swap and Corvette suspension and brakes. Watch Pawn Stars, guns with patina and age versus ones that were cleaned up, polished or restored are worth more, in some cases the modifications cause the value to drop drastically.

So really? The dyno sheet gets you nothing extra. Find a bone stock GSX in mint condition and ask 12K for it and find one running low 11s and ask 12K for it and you will see which one sells faster.

Most DSMers don't want to accept that our car is neither a classic or a collectible. Very few cars are actually worth more in non-stock form. It will take you mere seconds to see it. Original is worth more. A classic car restored to factory almost always brings far more at auction then the one with an LS6 swap and Corvette suspension and brakes. Watch Pawn Stars, guns with patina and age versus ones that were cleaned up, polished or restored are worth more, in some cases the modifications cause the value to drop drastically.

So really? The dyno sheet gets you nothing extra. Find a bone stock GSX in mint condition and ask 12K for it and find one running low 11s and ask 12K for it and you will see which one sells faster.

I have to disagree with your statement. Why in the world would you pay 12k for a bone stock dsm, even if it only had 20k miles. I can see paying 12k for a built dsm as it will be a lot cheaper to buy a built dsm rather than paying for a bone stock car and modding it yourself. If you pay 12k for a bone stock dsm, I have to say that is a poor move.

I have to disagree with your statement. Why in the world would you pay 12k for a bone stock dsm, even if it only had 20k miles. I can see paying 12k for a built dsm as it will be a lot cheaper to buy a built dsm rather than paying for a bone stock car and modding it yourself. If you pay 12k for a bone stock dsm, I have to say that is a poor move.

You can disagree all you want. The market in almost all things disagree with you. I would pay 12K for a mint unmolested GSX well before I buy someone else's project just to tear it all down to ensure it was done right.

You can disagree all you want. The market in almost all things disagree with you. I would pay 12K for a mint unmolested GSX well before I buy someone else's project just to tear it all down to ensure it was done right.

I agree with this. I searched long and hard for a stock gsx because I didn't want a PO mess. That being said I paid extra because the owners before me kept ALL the paperwork all the way back to the factory order sheet. A dyno sheet for a stock car wouldn't do much for me but a modded car with paperwork from TUNED dyno runs would indicate to me that the PO was at least interested in running it well not just throwing parts on. How, who, and when the tuning was done would be the key part for me.

If I was in the market for a pre modded car, a dyno sheet and the paperwork to back up all the parts would help the sale for sure. That being said,,, I would never, ever spend extra $$ on a pre modded car. Never.

So if someone had paperwork for it being built correctly, had it professionally tuned, and had the dyno sheet to prove it, you would still want to tear it down to ensure it was done right? Seems like a waste of time to me. And your saying since my car is modded and done correctly, that if I were to sell my car I should be looking to get under 10k?

give me an hour and i will sell you a 1400hp cavalier with a dyno sheet. not that most people are going to forge a dyno sheet, my concern would be getting a dyno sheet that is current and not from a long enough time that an engine swap or something might have been done, or some other less noticeable parts removed.

Oh really?...

Here's 2 quick examples of why you are wrong.

1. My car is insured for 45k and one of the deciding factors of its value was a dyno.

2. I have had 3 people now wanting to buy my car for 16k and every single one of them loved the fact that I had a dyno and videos of the car running. I've recently changed the price to 24k and really don't want to sell her at all so I don't really want any offers but I'm sure they will come.

Here is an email I received from autotrader today.
Potential Buyer's Comments:
hi, my name is taylor simms and i have been saving every dollar from every paycheck i have got for over 4 mo. now and almost had enough to buy your car but i noticed u raised the price from 16 grand to 24 grand.here is my nuber ### call me asap thank

Snip...

2. I have had 3 people now wanting to buy my car for 16k and every single one of them loved the fact that I had a dyno and videos of the car running. I've recently changed the price to 24k and really don't want to sell her at all so I don't really want any offers but I'm sure they will come.

Here is an email I received from autotrader today.
Potential Buyer's Comments:
hi, my name is taylor simms and i have been saving every dollar from every paycheck i have got for over 4 mo. now and almost had enough to buy your car but i noticed u raised the price from 16 grand to 24 grand.here is my nuber ### call me asap thank

The plural of anecdote is not data.

The potential buyer's comment you posted doesn't even mention a dyno sheet or video so while that does prove you've found at least 1 sucker willing to checkbook mechanic himself into a pre-modded car, it doesn't validate your claim that the dyno sheet and/or videos of the car have anything to do with that potential buyers willingness to pay the increased price. Hell i sold a 97 RS for $7000 dollars back in 2007 so what someone is willing to pay doesn't really mean a damn thing.

You're arguing a point that wasn't even made; H4G64T was saying that he personally would not pay more just because a car came with a dyno sheet. He never said that no buyers would pay more if a dyno sheet was available. Sure a dyno sheet or a video is nice to include when offering a car for sale but are either of those items going to guarantee that someone will pay top dollar for your car? No.

AS far as the OP is concerned, including a dyno sheet may help sway some buyers into paying more but don't expect that you're going to get top dollar just because you included one.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

The potential buyer's comment you posted doesn't even mention a dyno sheet or video so while that does prove you've found at least 1 sucker willing to checkbook mechanic himself into a pre-modded car, it doesn't validate your claim that the dyno sheet and/or videos of the car have anything to do with that potential buyers willingness to pay the increased price. Hell i sold a 97 RS for $7000 dollars back in 2007 so what someone is willing to pay doesn't really mean a damn thing.

You're arguing a point that wasn't even made; H4G64T was saying that he personally would not pay more just because a car came with a dyno sheet. He never said that no buyers would pay more if a dyno sheet was available. Sure a dyno sheet or a video is nice to include when offering a car for sale but are either of those items going to guarantee that someone will pay top dollar for your car? No.

AS far as the OP is concerned, including a dyno sheet may help sway some buyers into paying more but don't expect that you're going to get top dollar just because you included one.

Nicely said!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back