The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

How much more is left in it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damax03

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 26, 2003
Falls Church, Virginia
All my mods are in my profile. I have gone to the track the last two tuesdays and cant seem to put everything together for a really good time.

The first week I ran a 13.250 @ 101.62 mph, w/ a 1.801 60ft. Best mph of the day was a high 103.

Tonight I ran a 13.217 @ 106.76, w/ a 1.874 60ft, and that was my best mph.

All runs were at 21psi on the 14b, w/ 114 octane leaded race gas, in a full weight 2g. I know that my 60ft times should be into the 1.7's but I can't seem to stop the car from bogging a little on the lauch.

What do you think this car is capable of, or I guess what is it capable of with more practice on the drivers side.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Help me out I know this car has high 12's in it sooner or later. I am going back on August 24, so hopefully I can figure it out for that day.

14b's can pull a mid to low 12 on 1g's. Do you have any weight reduction? Your times are very consistent.

No weight reduction but I figure if I ran a 13.2 @ 101 with a decent 60ft and a 13.2 @ 106 with a crappy 60ft then a 106 trap with a good 60ft should be good for a 12.9 at least.

Realize that you have the heaviest DSM by a long shot. You have consistent times but because of the weight you will be held back, expect a few tenths off the 1/4 for the weight , and a few more less top end flow. Other then that you should be able to tick off a mid 12 with the 14b maxed.
Andrew

A guy here was running 12.4 at 24 psi but his boost fell off hat higher rpm. If you can tune for 24 psi then you may not bog and it will still drop to the same boost so no lose. That I would think would give you more mid range but add some knock so its up to you.

Keep practicing. I would definatly not raise boost. In three straight weeks at the track I went from a 14.3 to a 13.6 with no modding, just driving.

Launching at the track is very difficult compared to the street. The track is sticky and lends to bogging so if you're not afraid of braking launch higher and harder.

my 104 trap was 13.1... which is almost identical times... we drive alike : :p

If you are trapping at 106 mph, then you have the power for a 12 sec run. I got my car in the 12's with the 14b and very few mods. I did a 12.8 @ 106.7 mph, and a 1.80 60ft time.

I suggest you rev the engine a little higher at launch so you don't bog. Make sure you shift quickly. What are your shift points for each gear?

I launch at 5500 with DSM Link's studderbox and then shift out of 1st at redine 2nd at redline, and 3rd at 6800. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Aha! You need to lower your shift points. When you run that much boost on the 14b the power drops off quickly after 6k rpm. I had my best runs when I did the 1>2 shift at 6500 rpm, 2>3 at 6200, and 3>4 at 6k. I actually tried to shift at 6k all the time, but by the time I reacted to the tach the rpms had climbed up a bit. Since you have a 2G the shift points might differ slightly, but give it a try and see if it helps.

Kinda wierd that your bogging the launch with a 5500 stutterbox. Are you hitting the stutter early enough to build a few psi of boost?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back