The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

How much more HP? Gst vs GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcjjones

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
Austin, Texas
Obviously the GSX would be the GST if they were stock or had the same exact mods.

But how much faster/more power would it take for the GST to beat a GSX due to the traction difference?

Also maybe factor in a limited slip for the GST. Anyone have opinions on this?

No, I know its a traction thing. I agree anything with awd is gonna be a monster off the line. But with a good limited slip and V3 tuning ability it has helped fwd come out of the whole alot better. Obviously still no match for an awd but someone has to represent.

LOL Ya and I use to rock one for 4 years. I will admitt that you learn pretty quick how to launch em compared to an AWD. And your right about limited slip, slicks, and a tune will help. But most ppl may not wanna take the time to learn how to drive their car, so to them I say "buy an EVO" LOL

irrelevent, why worry about this? just get your car to where you want it.

irrelevent, why worry about this? just get your car to where you want it.

Not exactly. Lets say the OP just wants a dsm that he could litely mod and dd it. Then a FWD would be perfect. Cheaper and you still get a turbo car, and very fun to drive. Yet if he were to want to drop 10k for a drag build, then a AWD would be a better platform to start with. Not saying that it can't be done with a FWD, just easier with an AWD.

So yes get the car where you want it, but not everyone has the time, money or knowledge to do an AWD swap if that were to be where he wants the car. Much easier to start with the platform of your choice and build around it.

Not exactly. Lets say the OP just wants a dsm that he could litely mod and dd it. Then a FWD would be perfect. Cheaper and you still get a turbo car, and very fun to drive. Yet if he were to want to drop 10k for a drag build, then a AWD would be a better platform to start with. Not saying that it can't be done with a FWD, just easier with an AWD.

So yes get the car where you want it, but not everyone has the time, money or knowledge to do an AWD swap if that were to be where he wants the car. Much easier to start with the platform of your choice and build around it.

Completely agree

OP, you should stay fwd IMO. Since all you want is 300hp, a quaife and some good tires will do just fine. For a DD, a fwd with some extra power is a lot of fun, plus you'll love that acceleration on highway on ramps. I know I do :D

This thread is basically useless, as there are too many variables to give any sort of answer.

What type of race, what mod level for each car, what tires is the gst running & the list goes on.

i owned both had a 95 gst then traded it in for a 98 gsx and i will never go back .to me there is nothing like launching a awd car . whats the point of making all that power then losing traction.

i owned both had a 95 gst then traded it in for a 98 gsx and i will never go back .to me there is nothing like launching a awd car . whats the point of making all that power then losing traction.

Less moving parts and drag = better fuel mileage! Better suited for DD use in most cases.

I have read that stock for stock the FWD will beat the AWD in the 1/4. Not by much, but it does. The gearing is definitely different between the two.

Like everyone's already said, it's a matter of preference, and dependent on what kind of racing or driving you're looking at doing. Also take into account the mpg's, weight, extra parts to break, etc...

I have read that stock for stock the FWD will beat the AWD in the 1/4. Not by much, but it does. The gearing is definitely different between the two.

Not correct, 100% stock for stock the awd will be faster in the 1/4.

100% stock the fwd would be quicker on a highway pull.

As for what the origional OP asked, again, this thread is pointless.

This thread is pretty much pointless but I have a 2G GST with a 20g and all supporting mods and I must say I feel like its a waste because the power is unusable off the line thru almost 3rd gear. My buddy has a GSX with pretty much the same mods and its a night and day difference how bad his car kills me off the line. If you have the option, get the GSX. If I could start over again I would without a question get a GSX... FWD SUCKS!!!!! I don't know why Mitsubishi even made the FWD, but then I guess they didn't expect for people to get so much power out of them.

marcman804 is absolutely correct. I'm so sick of losing traction with my FWD and it's only around 320hp right now. Passing a car down the highway, it spins... it's stupid. I will never buy another FWD DSM again..

I don't know why Mitsubishi even made the FWD, but then I guess they didn't expect for people to get so much power out of them
FWD's were tons cheaper on the showroom floor than the AWD's, and not everybody likes AWD, me included.

I'm a casual sports car fan-where I do like the power and speed, but it's not important to have-it's not like an 'umbilical cord' device (like video games, smartphones and the like) where I can't live without it.

Also, I'm not a race track, beat every HP out of the motor sports car driver. Thus, have no need for AWD.

I don't like the idea of excess machinery (and weight) having to turn to move the vehicle -unnecessary wear needed , not the greatest thing since baked bread to drive during the winter, and the major restrictions when owning a AWD...why I'll never buy a new Subi since they don't offer FWD anymore.

Bud, would you please describe, exactly, how a 1g auto makes up for its loss in power by shifting?

When a person shifts the car is no longer being propelled forward. Humans may look impressive to others when shifting, but in reality, it's pathetically slow, and the timers at tracks certainly pick up those hundredths of seconds lost from shifting. Not to mention a human can't shift very consistently. An automatic will shift instantly, also will somewhat bind to never lose forward propulsion, and shift exactly when it needs to. Stick shifts may be fun, but only the ignorant think they are the best things out there. This is why you see supercars now using gearboxes which do all of the clutching and shifting for people.

not the greatest thing since baked bread to drive during the winter, and the major restrictions when owning a AWD...why I'll never buy a new Subi since they don't offer FWD anymore.

How is fwd better in the winter? Please elaborate. The only positive a GST has on GSX is the weight difference. 2970 lbs vs 3270 lbs which isnt enough to make me say screw a GSX, I want a GST its 300lbs lighter!!!!

I was never able to make any turns in the winter in an FWD vehicle without plowing off the road...even when creeping at like 5 mph.

When a person shifts the car is no longer being propelled forward. Humans may look impressive to others when shifting, but in reality, it's pathetically slow, and the timers at tracks certainly pick up those hundredths of seconds lost from shifting. Not to mention a human can't shift very consistently. An automatic will shift instantly, also will somewhat bind to never lose forward propulsion, and shift exactly when it needs to. Stick shifts may be fun, but only the ignorant think they are the best things out there. This is why you see supercars now using gearboxes which do all of the clutching and shifting for people.

I won't deny that argument for the sport/race transmissions, but the econobox autos aren't set up to shift where most tuners would like. They may still be faster than granny shifting though :tease:

Oh, don't worry. I'm quite aware that the best transmissions around are automatics. I haven't hit up bud for posting weird shit in a little while so I thought I'd get at him for seemingly insinuating that the amazing efficiency of the 1g automatic is why it has a lower hp rating than the hp and that they are just as fast.

I don't agree with this sentiment, of course.

How is fwd better in the winter? Please elaborate. The only positive a GST has on GSX is the weight difference. 2970 lbs vs 3270 lbs which isnt enough to make me say screw a GSX, I want a GST its 300lbs lighter!!!!

It's not too hard to get a gsx down around the weight of a gst either. Weighed my gsx the other day at the dump (haha closest weigh station.. they were surprised to say the least) and it was at 3220 with me in the car (im between 180 and 185 depending on the bowel movement that day ROFL which would make it 3035 at the lightest) I was pretty impressed

I'd have to agree. Just watching even a perfect 1-2 shift is painful. The front end dives hard, then picks back up. Its pretty brutal.

Nothing better then holding boost through the gears. Clean, smooth, hard pulling acceleration.

SxThe gsx is the best car all around and as for this talk about better highway acceleration for a gst ha um fwd during acceleration all the weight from the front goes to the back where theres no power and with the gsx theres more of a better weight distribution and stability.and the gst is second best when compared to a gsx,the gst is a fwd turbo honda in my eyes,ive given a gst the business on the highway and i wondered why it couldn,t catch me gsx is the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back