The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

How much money have you put into your DSM so far?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayman089

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 16, 2005
Woodbine, Maryland
How much money have you guys put into your car so far? Please include how much you've spent so far and how long you've had the car.

I've had mine for about 5 monthes and put about 900 bux including all maintenance, some performance mods, and one small accident.

I've had a few dsm's this past year,

My 92: around $9,900, No less. $1600 for the car
My 90: About $6800 + $2,400 for the car.
My 95: I think i'm at like $3,000 now and dropping another $1,500 in 3 weeks. + $5,000 for the car

I have ALL the reciepts for each car in a box, Because there is that many. But I choose not to get the exact amount totaled up for each one because it really makes me sick...:barf: :toobad:

paid 4Gs for my 95 6 months ago... put 5k miles on it and a total of 3400 dollars into it... i suspect it needs another 500-700 dollars in parts before it is mechanically sound...

5 years, 15K -7000 for the car. *has the setup to run 11's on race gas* (except I need to install the 2600 thats in the trunk).

I have had my car since 2000, bought it with a broken tb. Paid $800 for it, since then I have receipts for $19,000. This included new paint, engine rebuild, built head, springs, stuts, and wheels, and the numerous parts I have purchased and then upgraded from them.

Traded in My 87 Camaro in for my 1G, I've spent about 1300 in random parts just to get it back to where it should be. And to get me into a respectable high 13s 1/4 mile.

nice guys, keep em coming. you guys say you've spent like 20 grand on your car, jeeze im like savin up for like a month to buy like 300 dollars worth of stuff. then again, im only 16,get paid 8 bucks and hour and only work for like 10 hours a week. but hey, dsms are addicting:thumb:

$2.4k for the car, $10400 in modifications and repairing the head.

I am not exactly sure considering I did/rebuilt all but the trans my self but I would say I have spent about $8k on the car in parts and about 500 hours of my time. I paid $6500 for the car back in 2001, she was a beautiful bone stock baby back then.

It adds up quick when you blow a tranny, transfercase, rear diff, 3 axles, short-block, and turbo in just under 2 years.

Ive spent about $15k in parts alone. Im not counting oil, coolant, and other misc necessities. Ive had my car since October of 03. I ran a 12.01@119 mph on the old setup. Spun hard thru 1st and 2nd gears on street tires. I am hoping for easy low 11's on the new setup on pump gas.

I have about $14,000 in my GSX, $8,000 in my show GST, and $2000 in my DD GST. All of these are not including the original purchase price of the vehicles.

lcose to 10k on my talon and i refuse to spend more than what I paid for on my GS (600 bucks).

i'm close to about $250 in maintenance on the 1g.. LOL damn thing is more reliable than my talon..

car-2200
new ecu/isc from dealer-1950ish
paint job paid by the guy who rear ended me-1800
aftermarket parts-1400

wait, i just bought an exhaust from dejon for 500ish and im going to buy dsm link later next month too... make that 1400->2500

so total ive spent 4700, because i said i wouldnt pay to have the dealer fix my ecu (wanted to send my ecu to steve, but my mom refused to use someone we "didnt" know, so she paid for it, because shes crazy and thinks the cars hers because its under her name. need i remind her who paid for it... and that guy who hit me paid for my car to be painted because when he first hit me i said i would be forced to sue him if he totaled my car, and he mentioned he knows someone and it all worked out. i really wouldnt have had a case for sueing him, but whatever, i was pissed.)

add like 400 bucks for the small stuff, got the car feb 17th, 2005, with 908xx, now has 93340 on the dot, and if anyone drives it i will know/slit their throat...

Had the car over nine years and, last time I counted, have spent just over $6k. About $5000 of that is under the hood. She's a track slut (or will be once the GVR4 gets here and I have a nice, tame daily driver). :sneaky:

EDIT:
The GVR4 will be my clean, 99% stock daily driver, while the 2GNT continues to get nastier. Just thought I would clear that up for all the "sell it and buy a turbo" guys who might read this. :D

95 RS - $2500 2 years ago, $400 in a few mods and maintenance.

95 GSX - $4500 3 months ago, $500 in mods, $200 in maintenance.

97 RS- $4000 in mods including show parts

95 GSX- $2600 in mods, $1000 in repairs

98 GST-$4000 in mods, $12,000 in repairs, 3 engines, 1 tranny, clutch, radiator, list goes on

97 GST- $4500 in mods, none in repair so far, shes reliable..hopefully it stays that way

Overall i have spent close to $23,600 in just mods and repairs.

The price of the cars are not included

RS was too slow, GSX crankwalked, 98 gst was a lemon out of hell..you get the point

thisll be a long post.

bought car, 97 Spyder GST 5spd, 50k - 7500$

first mods

ACT2100+Install - 600$(350 for clutch, 250 for install)
Timing Belt job - 600$(200 for parts, 400 for install)
A-Pillar Gauges(boost and a/f), Gauge inserts, all Reverse EL - 200$
Ebay K&N Kit - 50$
3" custom catback/obx N1 knockoff - 350$
Ebay OBX Short Throw(to replace snapped at weld stocker) and knob - 100$
Alpine Type-R 12", Kenwood 600w amp, transfer Pioneer DEH8400 to eclipse - 400$
CF Tails(ricer stage) 150$
Halo Projectors black - 200$

were at 2650$ with just mods/maintenance stuff.

Gauges and sub/amp stolen

New set of Pillar Gauges/Pod with a messed up boost gauge - 150$
decided to create first fiberglass rear seat enclosure, included 3 gallons of resin/hardener, lots of sheets of glass matte, mixing utensils/bowls, brushes. then lots of bondo, sandpaper sponges, primer, paint. 300$
then 2 12" Audiobahn Subs and 1300HCT amp, 400$

3500$ now

time for new shoes
18x7.5 Falken Torque5 Rims/Kuhmo Ecsta tires - 900$ shipped.

4400$

got bored, Dejon Tool Dual Stage MBC(14psi low, 20psi high, on a T25 haha, it took it like a bi*** though) 150$

4550 oh shit

then got serious.
Evo16g Turbo/34mm Flapper/Ported Turbine Housing - 650$
2g Install Kit - 200$
550CC Injectors - 250$
SAFC2 - 250$
190lph Walbro - 90$
Palm M505/Pocketlogger - 200$

holy ####, 6190$? borderline insanity

tuned all that, and got sick of the crappy finish on the first fiberglass enclosure. bought a DA Sander and proper utensils for a professional body work job, then went at it again, more bondo, sanding, prep n paint - 300$

car still felt slower than buddy's evo16g equipped spyder.
SBR Cast Manifold - 250$
Ebay 24x12x3 FMIC - 180$
2.5" piping, 5' straight section, 3 U-bends@6" radius, all mild steel - 100$
having neighber who can weld up pipes - Freebie

7020? youre fukkin kidding me right? wrong

back seat box still looks shitty. throw it away for new design, this time starting out with the knowledge i gained from the first attempt. turned out great. - 200$

time to lower and focus on turning instead
Tien H-Tech springs, Tokico Illumina 5way Adjustables - 600$

7820. good looks come at a price kids

car still feels slow and very sloppy in terms of performance. safc/logger expected for lack of tuning ability.

Sold SAFC2 - +150$
Sold palm/pocketlogger combo - +150$
aah, made some back, too bad it went straight to better things
Purchased Dell Inspiron 600m Laptop - 800$
Purchased EPROM Ecu presocketed - 300$
Purchased DSMLINK V2 - 565$

9185 invested so far, shall i keep going. i must

then got down n dirty. dsmlink showed my boost gauge was in fact correct, as i believed since it was showing -5 when car was off, that if i was showing 15psi it would in fact be 20, compensating for the -5 inaccuracy. well that -5 inaccuracy is only when the car was off. the car was actually only running 15psi, which is why it was always slow.

first DSMlink log posted on the link forums had people telling me i was boosting uber low. GM3bar Map Purchased to see exact boost in a log - 70$
third and final boost gauge ordered and installed - 50$

9305, getting close to the 10k mark

now were talking, 20psi feels insane now. got the setup all dialed in, no knock, almost 42lbs/min of airflow, 16* of timing, sweet. 3rd gear pull, the tires just let loose as soon as full boost is reached, torquesteering me almost off the road i was on. #### THIS FWD SHIT. drive home, and immediately begin pulling EVERYTHING off the car that i could.

sold Evo16g setup(turbo, injectors, fmic, dsmlink+ecu, sbr manny) +1500$
sold Laptop - +600$
7205, that brought it down a bit, still lost some, all for a good cause though, its a hobby

now for those of you just interested in mods, without taking into consideration selling used parts to gain back some, i spent 9,605$ taking into consideration the price of the car(7500), i spent a total of 17,105$ but wait, theyres more.

sold 97 GST Spyder - +9,000$. yes, thats right. bought for 7,5k$, sold for 9k$. the suspension and rims helped, so do niave buyers. poor guy, the convertible top was ghetto rigged(the dowels in the motors snapped, i was using nails, theyll hold for a couple ups and downs), pass window didnt roll up, tranny was getting notchy(i told the guy its a dsm thing).

8100, the final price paid after all is said and done

after taking into consideration things i could not sell(subs/amp, sub box, gauges, exhaust, shifter, clutch, timing belt, etc), i financed a car for 2 years, came out of the deal 2 years later 1500 on top of the original deal, and only spent 8100$ to make it into a vehicle i loved, is quite a bargain.

$400 for the car.
$200 for the new ecu.

Free 95 GS-t in pieces w/$300 wrecked 96 GSX

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back