The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

The Official "What's this DSM worth?" Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I would only get it if you had extra money to put into repairs, just in case something happened and you needed to replace a part

Thats a steal, get it and have a legit mechanic look it over and pull the head and block apart to make sure its all legit. God, 5gs for a gsx with supporting mods....hell of a deal

Please take this to heart for a second. This is NOT to flame you in any way.

You can't be serious??? Are you??? What happens when you've handed over your hard earned benjamins to Joe Blow DSM "Tuner," taken your ride to a legit mechanic, have it completely torn down only to find out that the guy was blowing some MAJOR smoke up your ass, and that the car is, in fact, NOT what Joe Blow advertised it to be. Now, you turn around and ask him what's up with all this!?!? And all he is going to tell you is, "Hey, sorry bro. You bought a used car and the sale is final. I don't know how you drive the car so don't come whining to me when there is something wrong." This stuff really happens. It's very shitty, but it does.:notgood:

Once upon a time, two years ago this November to be exact, I thought that $5500 was a steal for a "fully built" GSX, too! When I bought my, 96' AWD, Eclipse, I checked the car out, asked all my questions, requested all the "paperwork", and did everything that I thought was necessary to cover my bases. I showed up at his "shop," checked out the place, checked out cars he had there that he was working on, and so on and so forth. As it turns out, the guy pulled a bait and switch on me with the "paperwork." To make a long story short, he had a truely fully built, 95' AWD, Eclipse (He ACTUALLY gave me a ride in this car! That's the ### part...I didn't put two and two together at the time.) that he played off as being MY, 96 AWD, Eclipse. He showed me all the "receipts and paperwork." I thought I was set and that it was all legit. Being in a rush to pick up a "steal" of a deal on my very own GSX, I ended up getting took. I've driven the car TWICE since I bought it (It was a complete and running car, at the time.), I've put 170 miles - Yes...that's 1.7 0. miles - the "built" transmission he put in it is now junk, the motor has NONE of the forged, aftermarket, internals that he claimed were in it, and I am now in the process of a complete rebuild because some hack-job mechanic who's "been in the game for years" thought he knew what he was doing.

I love it when people say that they've checked out all the receipts and what not, especially when it comes to working with a DSM "veteran" who has owned half a dozen of them. The truth is, you can never really be 100% positive unless you've done the work yourself, or you personally know the guy/gal you are purchasing the car from.

To the original poster, I've learned that people can be VERY deceitful little bastards :notgood:. All I'm saying is just be careful and take your time. You'll save your self a ton of headaches and regrets in the end.

Me personally, I don't regret making my purchase. I'm pissed off that I got duped, but I don't regret it. This car is what I really wanted and over the last two years, I've learned to really appreciate it because of all the information I have learned about it. In the end, I know that I'm going to come out on top because owning this car is going to help me develope into a truely better mechanic and tuner. Truely, it will. I don't like to take short cuts!

I didn't mean to hijack this thread, I'm sorry:coy:. This is just a little food for thought, that's all. Take it as you will. To each his/her own.

Okay so I tried to post this topic in the newbie area and my thread was removed so I'm gonna try it in here....

I currently own a 95 eclipse gs and am in the market for a GSX. I think I've found a GREAT deal but I don't know much about GSX's and the best upgrades/mods for the car so I am wondering if anyone could let me know about this one.

**This was posted on Craigslist and the guy said the reason for the great price is that when he had it posted for $6,500 no one was interested in straight cash.

**P.S.- The chassis has 147k and he said the rebuild and all the parts have 83 miles on them. The guy performed the swap and alot of the work himself but has all receipts for the parts and machine work he had done.

CASH ONLY NO TRADES CASH ONLY NO TRADES i have a 95 eclipse gsx, 5 speed that i am looking to sell, the car is red, it has a fully built 6 bolt swap , wiseco pistons, eagle rods, aem fuel rail, 780cc injectors, fidanza fuel pressure regulator , brian crower 272 cams, fidanza adjustable cam gears, hks timing belt with clear cover, hks head gasket, 3 inch turbo back exhaust with aem wideband guage, forced performance 3065 ball bearing turbo,turbonetics blow off valve, tial 44mm wastegate, tubular exhaust manifold, huge front mount intercooler with gm maf and translator box, dual stage boost controller, greddy turbo timer, boost, oil pressure and wideband gauge in triple pod windshield pillar, act flywheel , clutchmaster 6 puck clutch, act throwout bearing, gunmetal 17" rims with new low profile tires. msd superconductor wires. also comes with DSMlink version 2 engine management system
CASH ONLY NO TRADES CASH ONLY NO TRADES

**Any feedback is greatly appreciated guys.

I don't understand why people build cars and only put under a 100 miles on them. It makes me wonder if something is fubared up.

According to the guy he just recently finished the guild and his girlfriend lost her job so he needs to sell the car ASAP to cover bills.

I don't understand why people build cars and only put under a 100 miles on them. It makes me wonder if something is fubared up.

I always wondered that too. Honestly, i wouldn't buy a newly built car that only has 83 miles on the parts because who knows how long they will last.

But that is just me.

And no, that car isn't worth $6500.

**He's asking $5,500 OBO**

Sorry if I didn't explain that clearly. Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep looking for a quality GSX. Any suggestions on what to really look for? Can't afford more than $7,000 right now though.

hey guys

so i was thinking about buying an evo, what do you guys think about this one? it does have high miles and salvaged.........but it is failry cheap compared to the other ones. what do you think is a good price to buy this for? also are there any special rules with registration,smog,or insurance on a car with a salvaged title??

sweet evo for sale

thanks

It looks pretty good and has some mods already. Why type of damage was there for the salvaged title?

I'd stay away from an '03 if it were my money- too many guys I know have had transmission, rear differential, and rod bearing trouble with their 03's. Of course, none of them had 90k on their cars, either....perhaps this one's good to go.

The parts on that car are defiantly worth 5500, but the massive headaches that come with buying a built car are probably not........

Like I said in the other thread, buy at your own risk. $5500 "OBO" for a GSX with that much work done is a red flag..especially with 83 miles on the built engine. Its funny how ive seen these same scenarios the past 10 years, going through 6 DSM's. Anyone who sells their car immediately following a build is usually getting rid of it for a reason..things didnt turn out as planned so lets get rid of it while it runs bs..not saying that this is the case with this guy perhaps he really is being honest or perhaps his so called engine installation didnt go too well or something is wrong with the motor..maybe tranny is on its way out seeing as how it has 147k miles on it..with those mods since 2005, you cannot tell me he didnt beat on that car..and 147k on AWD trannys usually spells rebuild soon..

If you do buy that car, have alot of money saved up to spend on repairs, cause things will break..possibly on a regular basis

Ok well to redturboeclipse I did just buy the gst but I sold it, there's a thread on here explaining my whole story about that LOL

Now to everyone else I do definetly need to do a carfax before anything, most likely it's an accident because he said the fender and door have been painted. But I wonder how bad of an accident hopefully no frame damage. It's just this is the most money I've ever even thought about spending on a car. He lives about an hour away from me so I'm gunna call him and see how negotiable he is first the most I could borrow right now is 10k and the kbb fair is 9 so I think that's reasonable considering the miles and title.

The thing that sucks is that "HE" bought it with a salvage title which means he may have not gotten the straight scoop from the previous owner. To have a salvage title it must have sustained a good deal of damage. Consider that the damage probably occurred when the car was worth more as well. It may actually not be too bad as body work is not cheap. Just make sure the frame is good.

I test drove a Talon one time that the owner said was in a minor accident. I could see the rear of the car in the side mirror. It tracked crooked and wondered all over the road. Turned out it had frame damage.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back