The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

how much hp can I make before my crank goes for a walk

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomerr

Probationary Member
Jul 9, 2003
WashingtonUS
I've been reading alot about crank walk and at what level of hp or psi does she decide to walk.

Also how much does it cost to get a 6 bolt installed and the block repaired. :talon: :dsm:

There is no magical number or amount of time. Some guys with 7 bolt motors have made well past the 350whp mark for some time without crankwalk taking over. Others have made a few HP upgrades and boom, crankwalk. It all depends on the condition of your motor.

There is no magical number or PSI, just do what you want and tune properly so you dont blow up your 7 bolt then enjoy it. When you do start to walk then you get your 6 bolt together. As for how much that costs is up to you, what parts do you plan on installing in it and where are you going to get it from?

Hell, some people drive their cars home from buying it, and BOOM crankwalk. You can build up a 7bolt all you want. Just dont buy any parts not made for a 6bolt engine. :)

i have over 82,000 miles on my 99gsx and i'm guessing about 300 hp and my motor is about the only thing i'm not having problems with.... nock on wood :D

Originally posted by boomerr
I've been reading alot about crank walk and at what level of hp or psi does she decide to walk.

Also how much does it cost to get a 6 bolt installed and the block repaired. :talon: :dsm:
As you'll see, there are many ideas, suspicions, accusations and bewilderment about CW. I've not seen a definitive answer to the cause.
Motor replacement costs will depend on where you live, what you have done, what you can find and what speed you can afford. Figure from $1K to $5K and up.

i dont have the details on it but a friend of mine up here in the great whtie north drives a 95 gs-t he bought it in cali...on his way back he blew his motor...so he managed to get a i think it is a 10.5:1 4g63 out of a galant...dont rant on me if im wrong...and put a t-4 onit...and well he somehow managed to put a 6 bolt crank into his 7 bolt block...machining i guess...and well its very impressive...if u want i could look into it and find more out for u

Crankwalk has absolutely northing to do with horse power. Crankwalk is simply thrust bearing failure. Power has nothing to do with it. Poor machining, heavy clutches, misaligned thrust bearing cap, and poorly adjusted(Pre-loaded) clutch are all popular believed causes of CW.

Originally posted by GSX4LIFE
Crankwalk has absolutely northing to do with horse power. Crankwalk is simply thrust bearing failure. Power has nothing to do with it. Poor machining, heavy clutches, misaligned thrust bearing cap, and poorly adjusted(Pre-loaded) clutch are all popular believed causes of CW.

how do you know so much about it :) LOL j.k

Don't you guys think that this whole crankwalk thing is a bit overblown? The cars that were mostly affected by c/w were 95-97 and the theory is that Mitsubishi improperly machined the crankshafts on affected engines. If you have/had one of the bad crankshafts you would get crankwalk whether your car was bone stock or severely modified. If you have alot of miles on your car and haven't had problems, you probably have a properly machined crankshaft. The problem is supposedly fixed new crankshafts & 98-99 models. I get tired of everytime someone has a clutch or master cylinder problem we get a new c/w post. I am even guilty of this myself, when it was just a bad master cylinder which seems to be more of an epidimic than c/w.

Originally posted by GSX4LIFE

Thank god I'm not the only one that gets this :thumb:

All kinds of engines can get excessive thrust play, chevy 350, 4G63, B18, whatever the engine. There were quite a few 99 miatas that got the wrong sized bearings and got excessive thrust play within 20k miles. Unlike Mitsu though Mazda replaced them all under warranty with out a hassle.

LOL all i had was a 1g bov and had rebuilt the motor to stock specifications and 1000 miles later mine walked.......go figure

Originally posted by heavyD
Don't you guys think that this whole crankwalk thing is a bit overblown?
I think so.

As for other motors doing it, a pal had a '60 Falcon with a straight six. You could grab the harmonic balancer and shift the crank in and out a good 3/8". He drove it that way for more than two years. You can't do that with a DSM, but the old Ford just didn't much mind.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back