The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

How many "Old-Timer" DSM Guys on here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bought my first "DSM" (420A) in 2001 about two months before the original Fast & Furious release. Started lurking here and on DSMTalk around 2002, I think I joined Talk in 2004 and Tuners in 2005; site staff here in 2008ish. Turbocharger repair officially began in April 2004, so I just passed 18 years servicing turbos for DSM's and beyond.

While I'm here, I wanted to pay tribute to a real local old timer in our platform that I met a long time ago who unfortunately passed away about three years ago. Most folks in SWPA know John from the fleet of DSMs that he owned...he'd often drop off a turbo or two for service at my place while on his way to the auto auction with his dog in an old 1G. Great dude- loved to talk, always had some great stories. One of the people that you don't mind stopping whatever you're doing when he shows up to talk to for an hour or so. You've probably seen him wandering around at the Shootout, he always had the pictured hat on. I hope he's up there with Curt Brown building some cool stuff. 💪

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'm 73 years old, purchased my first dsm in 2004, and joined dsmtuners around 2005. Since then I owned three 2g's.

Did I say 73? I meant 37, sorry typo haha

Thanks for the laugh. I actually am 73.
This wacky car is one of the things that has helped make life more fun and more interesting.
If you could see how much room the support items for this car take up in my house and garage, you could pretty much count that as proportional to the level of fun and interest. It's a lot. So yeah, it's a cool thing!
When my dad was retired and living in an over-55 condo, he told me that a lot of the other older guys there were bored, not happy. My dad never had that problem. He had a lot of interests. Guess what, I'm never going to have that problem either!

Last edited:
Thanks for the laugh. I actually am 73.
This wacky car is one of the things that has helped make life more fun and more interesting.
If you could see how much room the support items for this car take up in my house and garage, you could pretty much count that as proportional to the level of fun and interest. It's a lot. So yeah, it's a cool thing!
When my dad was retired and living in an over-55 condo, he told me that a lot of the other older guys there were bored, not happy. My dad never had that problem. He had a lot of interests. Guess what, I'm never going to have that problem either!
I know what you mean by support items. I lost a bunch but have since amassed several totes full of stuff plus a ton of specialty tools mostly purchased because of dsm.

I am 33, bought my first dsm in 2007. A 95 gst copper Durango pearl. 16 years here. I’ve bought 9 total 2g's in my life, three running and 6 parts cars. I am not a wise man but I think dsms are in my blood stream I will be 50 yrs old with a dsm in my garage!

I haven't been here long, but in the DSM game for longer than this site has been around. I bought my '91 TSi in '99 when I was 20. Daily driven for 23 years. Now all it's guts are strewn across the garage for it's first engine rebuild ever. I miss the days of parts being readily available, in stock locally, and parts cars all over the place.

I'm 58 and have built cars all of my life but didn't know what a DSM was until 2013.Thats when I had to get on the internet and find "a group" that could educate this old guy on what the hell they were................. So here I am, 8 cars later...... :idontknow: :)

I'm 58 and have built cars all of my life but didn't know what a DSM was until 2013.Thats when I had to get on the internet and find "a group" that could educate this old guy on what the hell they were................. So here I am, 8 cars later...... :idontknow: :)
Better late than never!

I know.......don't know s#it about them. Still learning. What I have figured out is that something seems to always BREAK just about the time you are ready to say "I'm glad I'm finished with that project". :banghead:

Iam 33 bought my first dsm in 2007. 95 gst copper Durango pearl. 16 years here. I’ve bought 9 total 2gs in my life three running and 6 parts cars I am not a wise man but I think dsms are in my blood stream I will be 50 yrs old with a dsm in my garage!

I’ll do you one better. I’ll own a dsm even if I’m the last idiot that owns an internal combustion engine powered vehicle. I will never go electric. Don’t care if they all run 5’s in the 1/4 at one point.

Got my first one I think back in '97 when I was 17, a '93 Tsi Awd from my brother. Ended up blowing the CD a couple years after but then found a '92 Tsi Awd that I still have. October will be 20 years with this place, wow.

Last edited:
What I have figured out is that something seems to always BREAK just about the time you are ready to say "I'm glad I'm finished with that project". :banghead:

You finish projects? What sort of black magic is that? The only sort of way I finish things now seem to be by disposing of them. :(

The tax bill on the Illinois house has reached the point where it's time to move and that means going through 30 years of, as my wife puts it, junk and thin the backlog.

Well......I "WISH" I could get one finished. My domestic projects, yes I can but these import's seem to break something just about the time I can say "I'm finished!!!" :(

I'm still here. I kinda wondering after all this time how have I not met you? Or have I. Happens to be my birthday today. Feeling old at 53.
I don't think we have met haha. Kinda strange that we pretty much live in the same city. Haven't met Craig Starnes either. One of these days we old farts should meet up for some BBQ and steak and talk about AARP membership. What do you say @b00st3d? :D

Will be 40 this summer. Turned my first wrench on a 4G63 car in 1999. In 23 years I have seen and done it all with the platform.

1000whp
220mph
8 second quarter miles

And far too many cars from stock to wild. Not to mention all the customer cars over the years.

Hey Steve, this is Chris. Not sure if you remember me, I had a burgandy 420a 2g. Back in the times of ChitownDSM with Charlie and Reggie, etc.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back