The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

How many of us use our DSMs as actual daily cars? Or how many own just a DSM?

Do you daily your DSM?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm curious to see how many responses this'll get. I understand that most people here are from North America and it's more than likely you'll have more than 1 car, but still. How many of you actually daily your DSM, and how many own just a single DSM and no other car? This question doesn't factor in when the DSM is currently on a stand being worked on, LOL. Also, by 'daily' I mean using it as your main car. Grocery getter, furniture mover, road trip goer etc..
I used to own a DSM and then the brand new timing belt went bye bye after 5000 miles while I was at 4k rpm. The motor was F%#CKED. Now I daily a volvo

I'm curious to see how many responses this'll get. I understand that most people here are from North America and it's more than likely you'll have more than 1 car, but still. How many of you actually daily your DSM, and how many own just a single DSM and no other car? This question doesn't factor in when the DSM is currently on a stand being worked on, LOL. Also, by 'daily' I mean using it as your main car. Grocery getter, furniture mover, road trip goer etc..
Man, it's been 7 years since I've posted on here. My daily is a Veloster. Still have the eclipse in the garage. Motor's busted, so my kid is going to rebuild it over the years for his first car. Now that Skylines are legal, I'll probably be swapping over to one of those in the next few years.

I daily my dsm whever it’s not raining and there is no salt on the roads so not really. I want it to last for the long haul and I live in the rust belt. I also never drive it to work even on the nice days since I work in a steel mill. I have a A4 that serves as my adverse weather and work car.

I pulled my GSX out of an older guys garage where it had sat for 10+ years (registration on windshield expired in 2008) and I am still catching up on maintenance. I do drive it at least once a week when its nice out. I also have another car that I can daily, which is nice, so the Eclipse gets to stay in the garage and remain in project car status.

93 Talon DL used as a daily driver since 2005 when I bought it. One clutch, a few sets of tires, and a few other minor parts. Love the gas mileage.Hoping to start on a restore after I get my 97 Eclipse on the road.

Once I got my gsx running it's been my daily for everything . I came across it by shear luck. I've got a 1995 gsx and I did a 6 bolt swap all on my own and a ton of research .

Right now the only vehicles I own are my Talon, my motorcycle, and my 1993 RX-7. My 1991 Toyota Soarer lands in Cali on March 9th so that will take over daily driving duties once it's registered.

Attachments

• soarer cropped 3.png
    soarer cropped 3.png
    233.3 KB · Views: 71
I daily drove my 95 and 97 AWD Talons for nearly 10 years and nearly 100,000 miles. They never once left me stranded! After I built the motor on the 97 (no longer had the 95) I stopped using it as my DD and eventually had to sell it. I got the itch once again and ended up picking up a mint '93 3000GT VR-4.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
I drive my 1991 Talon TSi to work on nice days, and on the weekends. I’ve got a 1990 Toyota pickup that handles daily driving and bad weather. Also recently bought my 1989 dodge colt back after it switched hands a couple times and I’m trying to restore it for longer road trips and to have just in case the talon and truck are down simultaneously.

I sometimes daily mine, I have been driving it daily for the last 10 days or so but it typically gets driven once or twice a week and to meets or the track

I daily my 95 GSX, my brother as well daily’s his 97 talon Awd. I’ve daily driven my car for the last 5 years as well as taken it on many cross country trips with no cruise and no ac. By cross country I mean literally 20 hours plus across country. I do a lot of maintance and I mean a lot. The body has over 250k with the original 7 bolt lasting in a stock form till 220k till it blew a head gasket. It takes a lot of work to keep it in a drivable condition. The drivetrain has seen better days and needs to be gone through completely.

Attachments

• 879F7F7E-62CC-4821-96AF-06D8432B874F.jpeg
    879F7F7E-62CC-4821-96AF-06D8432B874F.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 78
I daily my 95 GS and right now I just replaced the crank sensor that 2 days ago gave me check engine light illuminated dsm daily life ‍♂️

Attachments

• 20181023_090600.jpg
    20181023_090600.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 48
I drove a DSM daily from 1992 until this past August. I'm done with DSM daily. I won't ever do it again. Just no reason to anymore. I have a toyota 4 runner as my daily. My 2gb talon will now get the attention it deserves and thankfully it's still in pretty good shape. Not perfect but a very good starting point for further upgrades.

Daily drove my 99 until my daughter was born in 2012 and then it sat in the garage for several years collecting dust. Now that my kids are a little older I’ve gotten back into wrenching on it and am slowly working through the pile of parts I’ve had stored away for years and building it the way I’d always hoped to. Car now only comes out in nice weather and the occasional drive to work if I’m not on carpool detail.

I’m in the summer/winter situation. When I lived in the south, I drove my gst every day. Now, im in Maine. I park the gst when it snows and drive a junk suv until the snow is gone. Maine winters can be harsh and I don’t want to replace parts due to corrosion.

I used to daily my 97 tsi up until I almost got rear ended. Being the rarer of the bunch and only having only 106k miles with everything original I decided to only drive it every once in a while. Too much risk and hard to find parts if anything were to happen. My current daily is a 06 evo 9 and also a 13 screw raptor.

I dd'd a '96 Talon ESI for 17 years and 247K miles until a neighbor backed out his driveway into the side of it a few years ago. I've still got some parts that I pulled off of it that I'd like to pass on to someone who's trying to keep one alive. They're posted on Houston's Craiglist.

Interesting question! I am an original owner of low mileage (109k) 90 gsx. Although i have several other cars, my little red rocket is still the most fun to drive.....and that includes a 92 Viper! However, it is not my daily driver but is more than reliable enough to be a daily.

Stu

I daily my 99 GSX DSM to and from work & grocery getter. 150k miles (3rd owner). I rotate its use with my '14 Silverado truck.

Attachments

• 20170216_154427.jpg
    20170216_154427.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 74
I daily my 99 GSX DSM to and from work & grocery getter. 150k miles (3rd owner). I rotate its use with my '14 Silverado truck.
I mean just look at her! How can you resist NOT jumping in it every time you see it?!

That's the spirit, though. I understand that some of us have spend an unhealthy amount of money on these cars and fear that they might break, but really this isn't a car meant to be garaged or kept spotless. Not only, but at least in the US it's still a fairly common car. They're meant to be driven, sort of like your old-school muscle cars back when they were this age.

I've also learned that once you get these up to maintenance and everything checked out, they can keep going for quite awhile without throwing any issues. I crossed Europe and back with mine, dailied it to and from University, and then when I got back home I went to work and back with it every day, which was actually kinda bad for the car because it was a short trip. She didn't break a sweat!

My only problem is fuel economy since gas here is about $4.40 per gallon.

It's been really interesting reading all of your replies and seeing the poll. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply and answer :thumb:

I dailyed both my 1G and 2G for many years and dealt with all the fun that brings. The biggest thing I found over the years was making sure the maintenance stuff was up and not just worrying about more power.

Since my car is heavily built. No daily driving here . 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee daily. Love it

Attachments

• 7A3AD996-B456-4470-80B5-07D34CBD10F5.jpeg
    7A3AD996-B456-4470-80B5-07D34CBD10F5.jpeg
    430.7 KB · Views: 64
  • D0251DD0-F121-4E28-978B-4883C74EED2E.jpeg
    D0251DD0-F121-4E28-978B-4883C74EED2E.jpeg
    419.5 KB · Views: 72
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back