The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

How many miles on your Shep tranny?Still holding up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostboyike1

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 25, 2004
springfield, Missouri
Talked the girfriend in letting me send my tranny to shep but was wondering how there still holding up.What type of abuse are you guys giving them?Just daily drivers or weekend track bitches?thanks!

I had a shepherd rebuilt tranny in my GSX for about 2 years and it took any abuse I could give it. Blew the motor, but the tranny was still smooth as ever.

Those tranny are almost bullet proof. I have given that tranny 4,000 miles of abuse, its my daily lady and my weekend B!*CH Holds strong I do take care of the tranny I happen to change the fluid every 2 oil changes with Penzoil Syncromesh. It hasn't given me any trouble at all. In my opinion these tranny are well recommended I only did the $875 build with a new differential and 2-3 3-4 gear sliders. my total came out to $1150 including shipping which was provided by FedEx $95 2-way trip, I did labor myself so the price I stated was what i wasted. I think it was a great investment as well as a purchase, and this is from a guy that broke 3 used trannies in 2 months :thumb:

Last edited:
buddy of mine blew up 4th gear in his (full race trans) after a year of daily driving and 10 or so track passes.

boostboyike1 said:
Talked the girfriend in letting me send my tranny to shep but was wondering how there still holding up.What type of abuse are you guys giving them?Just daily drivers or weekend track bitches?thanks!

blew mine up in 8 months, and for 2 of those months the car wasn't running... and it's my only car so i'm pretty nice on it. I think it was one of my first launches on it i broke it.. and i didn't just pop the clutch, it was a very nice launch. :notgood:

Thats wierd. Well i am not putting out to much power, probably 220 whp, He did happen to state that if somthing was to go wrong, that the next re-build (if it happens) would obviously probably be a better price since I had already built with him and knows what he might be against or somthing like that. But what I do know for a fact is that these trannies are pretty much new and shift better than OEM units, how do they manage to break it? so fast when a oem unit last about 50-70k miles? I havent had a problem dont want to jinx myself now, but this tranny has held up and should have been the first thing upgrade I did.

Tranny1~ Bad 4 gear (syncro) attempted to use it in low rpm and tranny locked
Tranny2~ Bad 2nd gear (syncro) Completly doged the gear after it wouldnt go in, I was retarded and locked that tranny up too
Tranny3~ Somehow got stuck in 5th gear and wouldnt come out as well a broken disc plate from the clutch
Tranny4~ The same Tranny3 with sheps touch and a act 6-puck clutch with fidanza flywheel, holding strong :cool:

I think i have about 1000 miles or less on my shep tranny and it has been through the following:

400+ whp
AWD Launches off a 6k studderbox
8k+ RPM shifting

And its still as perfect as the first day i drove on it.

Keep in mind what fluid you are using.

If you live in a cold envirornment in the winter, then use a thinner fluid like GM and Pennzoil synchromesh/shift.

In the warmer climates, you can stand to run a thicker fluid like Redline heavy weight shock proof.

It was reccomended by Shep to run a mix of the two fluids. If its cold, use more of the thinner fluid and if its warm, you can use more of the thicker fluid.

"In the warmer climates, you can stand to run a thicker fluid like Redline heavy weight shock proof."

Wow sure you don't mean Redline MT 90? That shockproof is super thick. I guess mixing in a little Synchromesh would help some though.

Two years, 3K miles and 15launches at the track and she still shifts like butter :D
Nice not to have to worry about breaking trannies anymore :coy:

Spoolin4Ever said:
"In the warmer climates, you can stand to run a thicker fluid like Redline heavy weight shock proof."

Wow sure you don't mean Redline MT 90? That shockproof is super thick. I guess mixing in a little Synchromesh would help some though.

Yes,John recommended mixing a quart of the heavy shockproof with the syncromesh when I bought my trans from him.

Shifts nice,even in the cold weather ( temps in the teens and twenties) in my area recently.

Bullet Proof LOL.. No way any DSM trans is bullet proof. The problem with the transmission is the gears (4th being the weakest) can't hold up to the the power. I would say 380+ WHP is when you will start seeing breakage. I don't understand why people think that any DSM trans that was built is bullet proof. Then only advantages to getting a trans built by someone who know there shit, is that your trans will last longer. I personaly like TRE. I like the extra work TRE does that other trans shops over look.

before i got a dsm i always helped my brother with his, he has had 2 TRE
then we went with the full race from shep and he has had it for three years each year doing about 30 launches, 500ish awhp, and its never missed a gear

I installed my Shep tranny back in June 03. Car basically turned into a weekend warrior after that. Probably put 5k miles on it. Close to 500 passes on it. Nothing but 1.6x 60's in most of those launches, with an ACT 2600 behind it. No lift to shift at 7.5k rpms, every single time. Still going strong. Nothing more than the simple rebuild with the upgraded double synchro 2nd gear.

You know what. John Knows these tranys like the back of this hand and what ever needs to be done he does thats his buisness it may not be on his web site but its done. I have no problem with TRE at all but shep was avaiable at the time (SEMA) that I needed a trany. I have no problem with eather one of these guys. Both stand behind there work but I must say shep has better customer service always answers calls and emails. John is a very honest guy and will send you a trany back that you will be very happy with. I have had one of johns tranys now for 1000 miles and very happy with it Yet I did spend 2300 I really dont care as long as its what I need and will last. You get what you pay for.

Spoolin4Ever said:
"I personaly like TRE. I like the extra work TRE does that other trans shops over look."

Such as what?

"All gears & shafts stress relieved, deburred and modified for durability and improved shift quality. You will only find this work being done here @ TRE."

That's straight off their website. I'm not trying to back them up in anyway, just thought that I would throw that in. I like this thread, I am thinking about getting one of these two trannies and this is helping me decide. I am leaning towards the Shep tranny for the same reason that TSIfreek said. He has good customer service and is quick to respond to you.

I got a buddy that is about to buy a TRE tranny though, he will be making right around 400 whp so we will see how his holds up.

Quality aside, I've never heard one negative toward John's product or customer service. It's also nice to know that in a small way, you are supporting his small grass-roots raceteam that's been whoopping up big$ factory-backed cars at national-level events for years :rocks:

Long live the D/S/M :dsm:

I have roughly 9000 miles on my Shep tranny. It's been installed for 20 months and daily driven for 11 of those months. I haven't had a single problem with it yet.

PS - I basically have the basic rebuild (stage 1 stuff), plus a Quaife LSD and a new intermediate shaft.

DSM90AWD said:
It's also nice to know that in a small way, you are supporting his small grass-roots raceteam that's been whoopping up big$ factory-backed cars at national-level events for years :rocks:
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

could people start putting down what they got during their rebuild. i think just saying you have a shepp tranny and your this and that with it isnt enough info. for example: im running 13s and have over 100 launches on a fully built shep tranny blah blah blah. obviously his is going to last longer because its putting down far less power then someone running 10's,11's, or even 12's.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back