The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

How many Mechanics would rather be Service Advisor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcjjones

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
Austin, Texas
I have an opportunity to move up and become a Service Advisor. I work for a large, fast growing used car dealership. I would be doing mostly internal work for cars we get from auction and trade ins. We only sell newer, mostly very low mileage cars. I would be responsible for keeping the work on time, turn around rate up, keep the techs in line, order parts. Basically everything a normal Service Writer does but only dealing with customers ever so often. I could probably make more money staying as a Tech, and the hours are normally always there. Just like any shop, though, there's always slow weeks. For the most part, we always get our 40 in.

As a Service Writer, I would get paid a very very decent salary check with bonuses based on turn around time and efficiency.

How many mechanics, would become a Salary based Service Writer getting paid a good wage given the opportunity?

Wrong fourm.... Should be in the hang out

I have an opportunity to move up and become a Service Advisor. I work for a large, fast growing used car dealership. I would be doing mostly internal work for cars we get from auction and trade ins. We only sell newer, mostly very low mileage cars. I would be responsible for keeping the work on time, turn around rate up, keep the techs in line, order parts. Basically everything a normal Service Writer does but only dealing with customers every so often. I could probably make more money staying as a Tech, and the hours are normally always there. Just like any shop, though, there's always slow weeks. For the most part, we always get our 40 in.

As a Service Writer, I would get paid a very very decent salary check with bonuses passed on turn around time and efficiency.

How many mechanics, would become a Salary based Service Writer getting paid a good wage given the opportunity?

Honestly if your people skills are good then you shouldn't have an issue, The other half of that is are the techs working under you worth a penny cause if they arent you'll catch an ass chewing and unless you can defuse an irate person without involving your emotions then you may want to pass. As a service writer with good techs you'll make good money but if they don't have their shit together you will get tired of it real quick- Just keep in mind that if you like working with your hands then a computer and a phone will NOT be your friend....If your tired of getting dirty though and want to be able to make good money standing up rather than laying on your back on a creeper you should go for it....you never know man a lot of the time service writers become service managers when they get a grip on how the service department is run and they manage it well....cause essentially thats what your doing.....your managing the techs and the work coming in and out of the shop making sure the customer gets what they need done, and the tech gets compensated properly for it. Just make sure you know your guys well and your customers even better. When your crew cringes at the thought of your absence from the shop and your customers only want to deal with you, you'll know you're doing it right brotha- Good luck! :thumb:

Will

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back