The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

How Many Auto DSMers Here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorifto, your actually going to build your own manumatic system?

Yessir.

Is that Manumatic only for 1gs?

To the best of my knowledge. I would imagine someone has done their homework on the 2Gs, however I've only found info on the 1G TCUs.

The manumatic is for 1g and 2gs...

go to http://www.importperformancetrans.com/mitsubishiauto.shtml#main

They have the manumatic there...

Not quite, but close.

The link below is exactly what I'm going for:

http://www.rmtmods.ca/manual shift.htm

Basically what this setup allows, is a precise shift with full fluid line pressure in any gear. The moment you move the selector, the transmission shifts. Of course, it can be toggled on or off to allow for weaksauce ... er, comfortable ... driving. :D

Got the selector in "2"? You're leaving the line in 2nd.

In "D" with the O/D button off? You're in 3rd, stopped or moving. [Great for dynos!]

The only drawback to the system as it is currently designed is, that the downshifts are at full fluid line pressure as well, which is bad [broken motor mounts and cracked trans cases are never a pleasant thing]. I intend to build a custom gear selector with a momentary button to disengage the system for a normal downshift, to safeguard against transmission or driveline damage from a harsh shift. Of course, this can also be combated by flat-downshifting, or downshifting while hard on the throttle.

I would really love to see your product when your finished with it. Would your sell your end product?

As the original idea's not mine, I'd want to talk with the person who took the time and effort to figure this out first, exchange royalties if need be, and then possibly work out a plan to sell it. I'd like to take it a few steps further and build custom gear selectors with different handles and gates [saw-tooth gate, anyone?], possibly even the ability to "slap-shift". Also, I'd like to tinker with the resistors and circuitry involved, to see if there's a way to soften shifts on-the-fly.

All else aside, I'd love to market this as a convenient and cost-effective performance solution to the everyday slushbox. :thumb:

Well, seems I've been beat to the punch before I even knew it.

The eBay Auto Trans Shifter deal that is elsewhere on this site [http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250227] is basically the setup described by myself above, and in the link I posted. The only differences between the eBay module and the diagrams I plan on building mine from, are that the module is activated with a separate switch, while my setup is actuated with the Power/Economy switch, and the fact that mine would cost $60 less to build.

I'll still offer a complete package that includes a modified shifter though. Can't say I stole the idea if I offer a complete package that offers more than theirs does, for the same price.

The Next TCUgo? would you go as far a tcugo with the wireless paddles?

Not sure, that's all electronics there, which I know nothing of with DSM TCUs. My designs for the gear selector would basically convert the lever to a sequential-style shift, with designated gates for upshifting and downshifting. Might even add some electronic bypasses and circuits to allow partial-pressure downshifts, and the ability to physically engage Overdrive [by electrical means] by upshifting with the lever. Right now it's all in my head, but I'd like to keep it simple and basically use the shifter box from eBay, with my own hardware additions, which I'd like to have commercially available.

I do suppose I could convert the electronic signal from paddle-shifters to a mechanical system that physically shifts the transmission, but that would be heavy and inefficient, and would still require electronics programming.

Thinking in theory, I should be able to figure what inputs and outputs the stock TCU sends and recieves, and build circuitry to emulate what we WANT the transmission to recieve, which is basically what the TCUgo system was.

Guess I'd better crack out the multimeter and have-at some wiring diagrams. :thumb:

I thought it was bad to manually shift an auto? Thats only what I THOUGHT, it may not be true...what do you guys know?

Depends on who you talk to, to give you a "correct" answer.

With our cars, the TCU sends a signal to the valve body to shift, regardless of what forward gear the selector is in. The manual lock-down [2 and L] manually directs fluid to the ports that are specific to the gear selected. Case in point, if the selector is in 2, then the valve body sees fluid pressure in the first and second gear lines, but is blocked from third and overdrive, keeping the car from upshifting higher.

With "manual" shifting an automatic, you're basically doing the job of the valve body solenoids, which is redirecting fluid pressure to different lines at different times. There are pressure differences between manually shifting and letting the trans shift itself [as a result of the fluid being redirected to the solenoids], causing a 100-200 rpm delay when manu-shifting. The pressure difference and surge could be considered damaging in excess amounts, however I'm under the impression the system sees much higher pressure spikes on full-throttle downshifts.

Hope that made sense. I'm learning this as I go, and so far everything's right. :thumb:

Ya I decided to stay auto when my friend with a 98 gsx auto ran a 12.1 with reasonable mods...

Im pretty sure me and you know the same person red 2G?

Auto is the way to go man,but its def not cheap....

Haha ya we are talking about the same person...red 2gb... 12.1 auto...

Dorifto, So for example, is it bad to be manually shifting when you're at WOT. What about just driving normal on the streets, will manually shifting cuase any problems then?

i had a 97 gst.sold it for 97 gsx 5 speed. i like the gst alot.miss her

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back